• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
There’s another post on Dealer Refresh that asked about evergreen content. So, I’ll try to connect the two ideas (evergreen and SEO) without rambling too long. While it has value, we’ve talked to many dealers who, unfortunately, don’t fully understand the strategies behind SEO. There are always local search queries from Search Console and AdWords that can be leveraged to ensure you have the right purpose pages built that incorporate those keywords and address the search intent — that’s the big thing: intent.

It’s not just about “keywords,” and any agency that sells you on “keywords rankings” is disingenuous. The focus should be placed on satisfying local search intent, and if you look attack the queries that have modifiers that at least imply buying intent (short-tail with “2018” or “for sale” or “near me” or the GEO) via SEO, content, social media, paid search, you’re getting the low-hanging fruit. Then you can build what we call complementary content, which is where you get into evergreen.

You can markup schema, slam keywords into title tags, meta descriptions, URLs, H2s, and body text, but if you’re not addressing the search intent from the bottom (I’m Ready to Buy) to the top (I’m Beginning to Look), you’re not really being purposeful or strategic.

Once you acquire that qualified traffic, then it’s a matter of conversion. Are you getting shoppers to the pages they need that satisfy their search, or are you obstructing their process and creating friction along the path to your most important pages SRPs and VDPs?

That helps you capitalize on that local search traffic, like Alex pointed out.

Write fewer blog posts; rank higher
https://neilpatel.com/blog/write-fewer-blog-posts/

Conclusion
If I were starting over, I would use the simple process I described above, in which I would only write new content based on what both people and search engines love.

I would figure out what that content is by using tools like Ahrefs and Ubersuggest. I would look at total search traffic each blog post gets as well as how many social shares it has.

And as for how many posts you should publish, it really depends on your competition.

For example, if no one in your industry is doing content marketing, I would start off with one post a week until you figure out what works and what doesn’t. Because you wouldn’t be able to use tools Ahrefs or Buzzsumo to see what’s hot in your industry due to no one doing content marketing.

On the flip side, if you are in a space where all of your competitors are doing content marketing, I would try to play a game of catchup and crank out a blog post a day based on what’s popular.

But I wouldn’t write more than one post a day because content marketing isn’t just about writing content, it’s also about promoting the content.

And it is really hard to promote more than one piece a day. That’s why I blog weekly now instead of daily.

If you are wondering what process I use to promote and market my content, I break it down here. Here is a quick overview of my process:

• Boosting posts – I spend $400 to boost each of my posts on Facebook. I don’t know why I spend $400 instead of $100 or even $1,000… it’s just a random number that I am comfortable spending each week.
  • Email everyone I link to – the second step I take is to email everyone I link out to. I ask them to share my content on the social web. (I provide an email template that you can use in the original post that breaks down my process)
  • Top sharers – I look to see who shared competitor articles on the social web and I ask them to share mine. (I also provide instructions and a template for this in the original post)
  • Beg for links – see who links to your competition and ask them to link to your site. This will help boost your search engine rankings. (I also provide instructions and a template for this in the original post)
And if you are wondering how much time you should spend writing versus marketing, use the 80/20 rule.

20% of your time should be spent on writing content and 80% of the time should be used to promote your content.

Keep in mind the goal isn’t to write more blog posts than everyone else in your space, it’s to only write posts that generate high volumes of traffic.

Of course, when you are following this advice, you’ll still find yourself writing content that doesn’t do too well every once in a while. That’s ok and every blog has that issue… but overall you won’t be stuck with thousands of blog posts that generate little to no traffic.

Last edited: