• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Email losers

And be careful of this...

What email marketers should know about Alexa's latest feature
https://marketingland.com/what-email-marketers-should-know-about-alexas-latest-feature-253436

If millions of people start listening to Alexa read their email, email marketers will have to adapt to avoid deletion.

On Monday, Amazon announced some new Alexa capabilities. Chief among them was the ability to read and delete email. The company also is enabling location-based reminders and routines (tied to the smartphone Alexa app) and other incremental local search improvements. However the email capabilities are the most compelling of the announcements.

Works with Gmail and Outlook. In order to access email on Alexa, users need to add their email accounts under “settings” in the Alexa app. The “calendar” setting will update to “email + calendar.” It currently works with Gmail, Outlook, Hotmail and Live.com. You have to choose the account and sign in with your password.

• Useful
Reactions: Alex Snyder
I am a few dealerships IT support consultant and one of my biggest culprits of this issue is DealerSocket.

While I have repeatedly opened cases for them and told them they have major issues, they just don't care. The largest problem is coming from their inability to send mail using other than their own domain and trying to use the dealerships domain. Something we can't change because they don't want emails flowing though their servers (it's cheaper and less maintenance that way) Google's Gmail and GSuite will see that as an SPF violation and put those messages into spam every single time!

In a test of over 100 emails from different dealerships, the result was the same - any emails generated by the salesperson went to spam

They just don't care!

Here is my example from the email header on how the google servers treat dealer mail coming from DealerSockets "assistance@dealerurl.com" name from the SPF records.

Screenshot%20from%202019-02-15%2007-47-31.png

I use the "Email Tracking By Document" report in dealersocket. I get open rate, spam rate, clicks, and bounces. Works well enough.

Two different things. Your report is analyzing the emails that DO get to customers. Mark is upset about the number of emails that ARE NOT getting to customers.

He's complaining about the number of emails that don't even get past the email service's wall to anyone's inbox.

Two different things. Your report is analyzing the emails that DO get to customers. Mark is upset about the number of emails that ARE NOT getting to customers.

He's complaining about the number of emails that don't even get past the email service's wall to anyone's inbox.

Let me flesh it out a little.... I've just been going be "feel" on my open rates. Every 6 months or so i pull the last 6 months of every single email template that has gone out; automated, blasts, and singles. I judge the open rates and see if i need to make adjustments. Remove an image, update the subject line, remove spammy words, etc. Then take into account the type of email it was. I.E. End of lease campaign automated emails should be at 50% or greater open rate. Internet first response templates in the high 70's. SO on an so forth.

Not calling it gospel but after a while you can kind of get the gist of what should be getting opened and how often. Would it be nice to know how many emails are getting caught in spam? Absolutely. But that would require the CRM provider to tell me how much they suck and if I was in there shoes, ain't no way I'm doing that.

Reactions: Alexander Lau
Let's face it. The Google spam eliminator is one of the best in the industry and with that all be said and done, it's removing spam. The dealership correspondence with all those inventory blow-out messages and cute little holiday sales notices are getting put right where they belong and right where the average email consumer likes them. Somewhere, in between the Sirius radio ads, condom depot, Autotrader, Redfin, GrubHub and RiteAid are you salespeople's replies .

It's pretty common for most of us to check our spam folder about every third or fourth day. I agree with the above that there is no substitute for email to email communication but I read somewhere that the average car buyer wants to remain anonymous until there is an actual deal being made.

Reactions: Alexander Lau