• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Did you get an iPad? Is it a game changer?

Our owner is an Apple Junkie. We're giving away 3 ipads this month. Used Car King - Used Cars & Trucks | Syracuse, Utica, Binghamton, Rochester, Central New York

Here he is standing in the LOOOONG line this morning
ipad%20line.jpg

Typing from one right now. This thing is definitely a game changer. I wasn't a believer until i bought one , now that i have it in my hands i can't stop thinking about applications for the device in the dealership world. By the way, the new hyundai equus flagship luxury sedan comes with an iPad as an owners manual and portal to the dealership!

Thanks for sharing guys.

I have mine ordered but since I got the 3g, I have a few more weeks of waiting :(

Part of me thinks I would have been just fine with the wifi...

I personally can't wait. At first I really wanted one but then once it was introduced..I had second thoughts due to the lack of multitasking, cam and such but as more and more videos surfaced online, I started to want one again.

I agree, I think it's going to be a game changer for sure.

Oh too - GET THIS - Mercedes-Benz Financial is delivering select dealers an iPad with (from what I was told) a Mercedes Financial App so the finance manager can quickly visit a customer at the sales desk to review financial options. I'll try and get more information on it once we get ours.

I think the iPad will be revolutionary. If nothing else it is moving us in a direction where a keyboard and mouse don't really exist. Software has to instead be designed for our fingers and maybe some light data entry. I think there are endless uses for it for consumers. I am a die hard iPhone user and I surf the web on it every day. I can imagine the web browser experience on it will be top notch.

A lot of other companies are creating competitive products to be launched later this year. For example the HP slate which will run on Windows 7, as well as some Google Chrome OS and Linux tablets. But they may never be as successful as the iPad... Why? The App Store.

The WORST and BEST thing about the iPhone and iPad is the app store. As a software developer it is a nightmare because Apple has to approve your apps and controls your destiny. On the other hand, it makes it really easy for users to find applications to download. If you have a windows based HP Slate, where do you go to get applications? Everywhere and nowhere.... so users don't know what is available or where to get them.

Could you imagine our kids using a device like this for all of their textbooks in college?

Last edited:
I think "Slate" style computers might be the future of all computers. Think about it for a second. You could get a slate style computer that is the brains and primary screen. You could get a stand for it to prop it on your desk and connect a docking station with external monitor and bluetooth mouse and keyboard. So you have a full desktop PC, or you can pick up your slate and just go!. Could also make a sort of laptop type docking station. The screen is the device and it mounts in to the keyboard.

Something like this
http://asia.cnet.com/i/r/2008/crave/nb/63002553/sc002.jpg
sc002.jpg

I think this could the future. Couple this with cloud computing and you don't need that fast of a processor or that much memory.

I didn't get one. In my opinion there's still too many issues with the iPhone (perhaps my expectations are too high). That and the fact they'll probably drop the price to $199 like they did with the iPhone.

The price of the iPhone is $199 because you have to pay a ridiculous monthly fee and contract to AT&T. If you want to buy an iPhone without the contract it is still about $500.

The prices of netbooks and the HP Slate will also effect Apple's pricing long term. Most netbooks are around $400.

Like Jeff, I have a 3G on pre-order. And thank you Jeff for pushing me over the edge on it :cool:

I definitely think the iPhone set the stage for the future and the iPad is just another device on the road to that future. Whether or not the iPad itself is that future is probably another two to three years from indicating that.

I agree with you Matt. With more cloud computing there is less need for massive hardware on the consumer level. There are only a handful of absolute needs for more horsepower:

Graphic Design
Video Editing
Programming (which relies more on server power anyway)
Engineering
Architecture
and a few more, but it is really only the first 3 that affect daily use in the dealer world (thinking of our vendors with Programming).

Since I put a computer at the heart of my home entertainment system I am quickly moving away from all hard medias except XBOX games. I buy movies digitally or rip them to my harddrive from a DVD. With the iPad, I am hoping to cut back on my purchasing of paper books and magazines.

Like Jeff, I have a 3G on pre-order. And thank you Jeff for pushing me over the edge on it :cool:

I definitely think the iPhone set the stage for the future and the iPad is just another device on the road to that future. Whether or not the iPad itself is that future is probably another two to three years from indicating that.

I agree with you Matt. With more cloud computing there is less need for massive hardware on the consumer level. There are only a handful of absolute needs for more horsepower:

Graphic Design
Video Editing
Programming (which relies more on server power anyway)
Engineering
Architecture
and a few more, but it is really only the first 3 that affect daily use in the dealer world (thinking of our vendors with Programming).

Since I put a computer at the heart of my home entertainment system I am quickly moving away from all hard medias except XBOX games. I buy movies digitally or rip them to my harddrive from a DVD. With the iPad, I am hoping to cut back on my purchasing of paper books and magazines.

Why get the 3G one though? Don't you have Wi-Fi everywhere you would really use it 99% of the time anyways?

I'm waiting for Microsoft to turn the Xbox in to a full TV tuner, DVR, and streaming video player for IP TV.