• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Did you get an iPad? Is it a game changer?

I just had my hands on one that one of my staff got. Pretty cool device. It must have built in GPS or something because google maps knew where we were automatically.

Matt,

The Wi-Fi version of the iPad doesn't have true GPS. It has what they're calling "Assisted GPS". Basically, it's calculating your position using known wi-fi hotspot locations and triangulating you. The 3G model will have real GPS like your cell phone does.

I have the iPad and, while I haven't played with it too much, my initial impressions are good. I'm going to use it more before I give a whole review but I do plan on doing one for my blog.

It does seem as if it could have some great uses within a dealership, though, for the creative minded.

I can't wait to get one. I'm most excited to leave it on the coffee table and avoid the interruptions from my wife "just needing to check ONE thing" while I'm working. I'm excited to try out iBooks but am skeptical.

Has there been any sales staff purchase one on the floor and use it as a tool? I could see this being insanely powerful for a sales rep if wielded properly... especially for adding friends to facebook or working a customer into your social network while on the floor.

Ordering 2 today to give out in salesperson contests this month.......feel free to grab that idea. I hope the least tech savvy guys win them, since how can you not want to use one.....then they become exited about the web and start utilizing their own social networks to fuel their business..............

I think it will be a game changer... I own an imac, macbook pro, iphone etc... and do plan on getting the ipad. I can see some cool uses for the dealership, I just wish Apple would allow for flash. I think the 3g is the way to go. You could be out on your lot and access info if needed.

My dealer did get one and loves it, so I did get to use it a little bit...as usual Apple did a pretty good job!

Typically when the next new thing comes out, I'm right on top of it. The people that I know who have gotten them seem to enjoy them, and I'm pretty close to making the plunge. It may seem somewhat juvenile, but I think the coolest feature is the ability to play board games on it. I know there are potentially many ways to utilize the iPad for dealer solutions, but honestly, that's the feature that got me initially interested

Looking forward to hearing what everyone else is saying about their experiences.

Last edited:
I'm using one right now and I can certainly say that this is going to do a ton for helping to save some trees. The reading experience is better on here than I thought it would be. I haven't read a comic book in years and I was so blown away by the marvel app that I downloaded a few. Books are much better to read on this device - it is like every book is a hardback with extra features that can't be done in print. Newspapers are great and I can't wait till our local newspaper does something. I haven't subscribed to the newspaper in years because I hate throwing it away.

My dad said the newspaper would die when people could carry some small technology into the bathroom. That day is here.

I just got one this past weekend. I just got the wifi and it WILL cut down in purchasing books, magazines and allow me to explore another side of mac. I only have windows based computers. So far I havent touched my lap top, unless I need to see flash 9 or word/excel.

I need to see more cases for it though. I wish it had a docking station like the "slate" though.

So far i'm still impressed

Day 3 for me and I'm more impressed now! I'm still most impressed with the news and reading apps, but here is a list of the apps I am using right now:

News
MyCongress - keep up with your representatives
AP News - Associated Press probably has done the best job of the free iPad news apps
USA Today - my favorite "newspaper" app. It handles just like a newspaper - very cool
Editors' Choice - New York Times. Very light and good for larger stories. I like the editorials, but that is the only thing they have over any other newspaper app
BBC News - a little buggy, but has videos to go along with each story
WSJ - Wall Street Journal. Was so buggy I had to uninstall it. I couldn't even get it to launch.
Eyewitness - Guardian News' feeds of today's top photographs - phenomenal imagery with tips for photographers. However, the images are so good anyone will want this app.

Entertainment
*Netflix - can't believe Apple let them in because they're a competitor, but I'm damn glad they're here! Really great!!!!
Marvel - yep, comics. I can't believe I'm reading them again, but I can't believe how amazing they are on the iPad.
Pandora - much like the iPhone app except bigger.
Yahoo entertainment - very nice job. Updates TV listings, streams some TV shows, and has a fun entertainment news portion.
IMDb - Movie database. Is nice on the iPhone too.

Weather
Weatherbug - definitely my favorite way to view the weather now. It is really fantastic!
AccuWeather - I like what they did, but it is just "too cool" for everyday use. Weatherbug definitely gets the job done better.

Productivity
Adobe Ideas - it was free. It let's you doodle. I just haven't ponied up the $9.99 for Brushes yet.
Kayak Flights - damn cool way to book and track travel! They did a great job.
Calculator XL - ya gotta have a calculator sometimes. It was free.
Evernote - great app on the iPhone and now the iPad. It is basically a bigger version of the iPhone's right now. Voice memos, photo memos, note pad, etc - just a great way to keep track of things.
....most of the other apps in the category come with a bit of a price tag, so I haven't messed with them yet.

Social Media
Wordpress - BIG! Beats the hell out of writing articles on the iPhone.
TweetDeck - was so buggy I uninstalled it. However, I replaced it with.....
Twitterrific - holy crap has this made Twitter awesome again! You have not enjoyed twitter until you've tweeted from this app! It is almost worth buying an iPad just for this if you're a twitter-holic.

Other
iBooks - you've seen the advertisements. It works just like that. I wish I could transfer my whole paper-book library to this one.
*Air Mouse Pro - this is a slick app for the Touch or iPhone and it got slicker on the iPad. You control your other computers through it. Not VPN or virtual desktop - think of it as a keyboard and mouse for presentations or a home entertainment center remote control (what I use it for)
*1Password - if you have a Mac you should buy this product for your Mac immediately. I feel so sorry for you PC people who don't get this amazing software. If you're going to buy the iPhone/iPad app, be sure to get Pro so you only pay for it one time.
Zillow - holy crap is this not a real estate agent or home shopper's dream come true. Even if you aren't in the market to buy a house, get this app - it is just awesome....and free.
WTD - and of course....the crack machine game found in most bars across America. No longer do you need to turn a $5 into quarters for good drunken fun, you can get it for free on the iPad now. It is the game where you tell it which picture is missing what. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then you need to get out more. This is the one video game women will play in public for hours on end.

*denotes this application is not free. Netflix is free, but requires subscription to their service.