• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Did you get an iPad? Is it a game changer?

I just had my hands on one that one of my staff got. Pretty cool device. It must have built in GPS or something because google maps knew where we were automatically.

My 3Gs iPhone is very accurate in placing where I am for just about any location-based application. It is much more accurate than any Blackberry I've ever had (might have something to do with Verizon?). If the iPad has the next generation iPhone Operating System, then that doesn't surprise me at all.

I know it is still early in April, and I have a ton to do, but I cannot wait for late April with the release of the 3G iPad! All this talk is just getting more excited.

Downloading iPad apps is as addicting as it is on the iPhone. I don't like the look of iPhone apps on the iPad, but apps built for iPad look gorgeous. My favorites so far are netflix, yahoo entertainment (incredible tv listing feature) , ebook reader, and wall street journal...even though I have to pay 17 bucks a month for the iPad subscription, I just cancelled my wsj print subscription to offset it. Reading newspapers, books, and magazines on the iPad is awesome.

How about putting an iPad in the dash of your car?

First iPad Car Installation [VIDEO]

car-ipad-best-260.jpg

The iPad is not good for my business. It has a huge glass screen that would break immediately for one, but more importantly it can't handle ActiveX and can't do real multitasking. I have Motion C5 tablets in use in my service drive-thru using a product called SmartVMA (free pimping: Smart VMA - Home Page). The iPad would be really fun to replace those with, but the fragile nature of the device just to make it look good really kills me.

And I can't replace the battery when it dies. Seriously Apple, get a clue on this one.

For personal use? I'd never use it, it's too big. If I'm in a situation where I could pull it out and start playing with it, I could pull out my laptop instead. Plus my laptop has a front facing camera for Skype calling.

Last edited:
GHen,

Non keyboard junkies will love it. I see it on coffee tables and night stands, It's a perfect FaceBook/Magazine/NewsPaper/YouTube/Hulu thingy. Put it on an easel for dishing out family pics when people come to visit. On that easel, stream the morning news while I am shaving. Ck my stocks, ck the weather, etc...

Its in it's infancy, if it takes hold, it'll be an info-appliance. APPL will add more stuff to it as it grows.

If you want to see how big the audience is, Just for fun, take one out to your "one-finger sales reps" and have them surf around. My wife sells cars and is a one-finger typer. If reyrey Contact Management worked on this, I'd buy her one tomorrow.