• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Auto-lead Data Format (ADF)

Thank You everyone. Great Information.

One more question. Not clear on 'Standard ADF Transfer mechanism'. Can someone dummy it down for me?

I have to read more on STAR. But the problem might be if it is not the standard service that connects to dealer CRM's then it might be a long shot. Dealers don't usually have huge IT budget to modernize their systems.

Chris, I am just inquiring.

ADF and STAR are both just different formats of XML files.
In pseudo format they would look like this:

<vehicle>
<make>Toyota</make>
</vehicle>

<customer>
<first_name>Craig</first_name>
<last_name>Hooghiem</last_name>
</customer>

They're just passing data.
The standard way to send the data is either in an email or POSTed to a web service, but I would say 90% of CRMs just want an email with the code in the body or in an attachment.

As for industry standard, it is ADF today but STAR is used when financing information and other critical information is required.

<vehicle>
<make>Toyota</make>
</vehicle>

<customer>
</customer>

The standard way to send the data is either in an email or POSTed to a web service, but I would say 90% of CRMs just want an email with the code in the body or in an attachment.

As for industry standard, it is ADF today but STAR is used when financing information and other critical information is required.

Thanks Craigh. Is it a separate email for every lead usually? Is there a sample of this email and how it looks like, spec doc doesn't have one? thank you.

Thanks Craigh. Is it a separate email for every lead usually? Is there a sample of this email and how it looks like, spec doc doesn't have one? thank you.

There's only 1 lead per email.

http://www.codingace.com/sending-email-in-an-adf-xml-format-to-elead-crm
Just look at his XML example - that just goes into an attachment (lead.xml for example) or the body of the email.
If it goes in the email, must be sent as plaintext so it doesn't try and format the contents.

Reactions: Alexander Lau
@desiondarun, what are you looking to do? If you let us know what your trying to accomplish we can prob help you more. I know your trying to figure out what the general lead format is. I get that. Are you generating leads from a Wordpress / Joomla install??? Maybe we can recommend a good plug in for you to use. Are you looking to spam dealers CRM's?? Is this a home brew website / app and your simply trying to get leads from it into your own CRM?? I'm just curious.

You have one email to the CRM for each lead submitted. The body of the email contains the form / lead info in an ADF / XML format. Once it gets to the CRM, that email then gets parsed.

Also, remember if the CRM provider isn't familiar with you, chances are the CRM won't parse your lead for the system and it won't go into the CRM for the dealer to see. The dealer or you will have to contact the CRM and have them to map the lead for parsing. Each CRM is diff though.

<vehicle>
<make>Toyota</make>
</vehicle>

<customer>
</customer>

Yes, it's virtually the same structure and HTML syntax.

@Rick Buffkin I am documenting how this ADF and sales lead tool works. I am new to this space and having hard time find some of this knowledge that you guys have in this space. Not planning to spam anyone, no no no. This is home grown application that will reside in dealer website. Sorry I was away for couple weeks so couldn't respond to your message.

@craigh Thank you for sharing the email example. I am going to explore that more.

Is there a open source or free version of DMS or CRM that could be used for testing these emails? Thanks.