• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Auto-lead Data Format (ADF)

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: craigh
Just wanted to chime in to inform you that ADF 1.0 update is currently being discussed, and scheduled to be announced at NADA in March 2018. While ADF is not as intrusive as Star with its information, it still useful for many in the industry until they want to grow further and invest in Star. There is a new application about to be released to help anyone parse an ADF anyway this wish via a Custom Rules builder at www.adfconverter.com

Last edited:
My vote goes with STAR.
I've used both extensively and STAR simply has a more broad support.
2018 saw updates for Volvo, Ford, GM, Nissan and others - the industry support is growing.
ADF is stagnant and struggling to evolve at the same pace.

I won't write it off yet, but they've got a long ways to go.

• Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau
Easier said, than done. ADF has been around longer than STAR and still has a more economical entry for the auto industry than STAR. Updates are being done to ADF. Here's an article that should be helpful: https://www.digitaldealer.com/much-really-know-adf-automotive-leads/
Of course, there are a thousand things wrong with automotive "standards" all over the place, on many products and services, but that doesn't mean we should use them. IOW, just because ADF is heavily used doesn't mean it's the better of the two.

Of course, there are a thousand things wrong with automotive "standards" all over the place, on many products and services, but that doesn't mean we should use them. IOW, just because ADF is heavily used doesn't mean it's the better of the two.
Oh if we're discussing which is better, then I agree that its STAR. I'm just stating that ADF still has a purpose.

does It really matter what format vendors use to send us garbage leads?

Vendors win by providing less context.

I’ve never seen a lead come in our crm using more than 3 or 4 of the available tags.

I don't follow your logic.
I am a vendor and we send as many fields as possible because it benefits everyone.
I don't benefit from holding back any data.