• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Best dealership website you've seen?

I sat on a DealerPeak webinar on Friday for about 90 minutes. They are doing some amazing things that I have seen in other site/CRM providers. Imagine being able to login to a portal and seeing your profit per online vendor down to the individual car and also being able to give credit for the initial click that started the sale process. Maybe I am a novice in auto site companies but this seemed like a real game changer.

I have a could additional reservations over the next couple weeks for my dealers to take a look as well. If any of you want to hop on these webinars, send me a message and I will give you the times.

Do you have mockups of the VDP's? That is where your money is made.

I won't have a moch up of the VDP until they build out the site... But for the most part the VinSolutions sites seem to be pretty much the same when it comes to the VDP page and based on the stats I've seen, they perform pretty well (at least compared to the DealerFire site I currently have).

Speaking of VDP's though, anyone have any good examples of well performing VDPs? One thing we are focusing on is the submitted lead confirmation page... We want it to lead the customer down the steps so that way by the time a sales person contacts them it is a well engaged lead and not just a "Request An E-Price" lead.

Heat maps and A/B testing. Not something a lot of website vendors make easy to implement with 3rd party tools.

It's the ONLY way to answer this question. Too much guessing/thinking, it can be answered with fact. Simplicity is key and find out what nobody uses and remove it, don't worry about the 20%, it's the 80% you should focus on. I hear "what if" far too often.

Looking for the best way to present a 'search' option? Google/Bing may be a good place to start, everyone else starts there.

Speaking of VDP's though, anyone have any good examples of well performing VDPs? One thing we are focusing on is the submitted lead confirmation page... We want it to lead the customer down the steps so that way by the time a sales person contacts them it is a well engaged lead and not just a "Request An E-Price" lead.

Below is a custom VDP I designed for our group. We have quite a bit different website and VLP/VDP than other dealerships because we have a 100% custom in-house designed and developed site. After countless hours of A/B testing, Heatmaps, and user testing this is the VDP I designed based on what our customers were using and what they wanted.

Used 2011 Chevrolet Equinox For Sale in Lincoln, Grand Island, St Joseph | Anderson Auto Group

The confirmation page is something else I'm working on not only to confirm we received their submission, but to describe our selling process and what to expect next in the process. Similar to this (but simplified on confirmation page): The Anderson Advantage Philosophy

Have you done any heat mapping to see how many people go below the fold in a VDP?

Yeah, I've done about 3 dozen scrollmaps/heatmaps on various new and used vehicle with this layout.

On average across all VDPs:
95%+ of VDP views make it to the bottom of all pictures - usually 24 photos, 6 rows of 4. (basically where contact tabs end on right-side of page). On most monitors that is to the bottom of the blue header.

Approx 65-75% view to the bottom of the "Vehicle Details", "Vehicle Description", "Standard Options" tabs.

Approx 45-50% scroll to the "Why Buy From Anderson", "Calculate Monthly Payments" and Map section.

Approx 25% scroll through to the first 3 vehicles in the "Vehicles You Might Be Interested In" section.

Visitors looking at New Inventory tended to scroll further down on the page, but visitors looking at Used Inventory tended to click more on the Vehicles You Might Be Interested In than New Inventory shoppers.