• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Best Reach - Out Methods For Automotive Businesses

Any of these questions are going to stop you in your tracks, IF you are even lucky enough to make it past the receptionist gatekeeper:

Dealer: What other dealers do you work with?
@autovantaofficial: None yet

Dealer: What's your website?
@autovantaofficial: I don't have one

Dealer: Can you send me a PowerPoint to look at?
@autovantaofficial: I don't have one put together yet

Dealer: Do you have any results you can share?
@autovantaofficial: Not yet

Dealer: Do you do everything yourself?
@autovantaofficial: No, I outsource it

Dealer: Have you ever worked at a dealership before?
@autovantaofficial: No

Dealer: Can I submit you for co-op?
@autovantaofficial: What's that?

As I shared earlier, you'll have much greater success walking in wearing a shirt and tie with a resume in-hand and ideas on how you can help their dealership sell more cars.

Here's the answers:

What other dealers do you work with?
You're one of our first clients, we're just starting off.
[Wait for an objection, which is obvious]
Here's the thing. These other agencies, you're just a name in their list. But for me, I HAVE to pull this off. Your results are going to be my reputation. I have no other choice but to make this work. But the other agencies? They mess up, it doesn't matter, they've got an entire list to go back to. So I'm here, with my name and business on the line, telling you that I'm going to make this work, because your success in this campaign (or whatever we're talking about) is directly proportional to my business' future.
[this is basic sales. convince them. SOMEONE will say yes. maybe it'll be a small dealership.]

What's your website?
Here you go. (Why the heck would I not have a website.....it's 2024)

Can you send me a PowerPoint to look at it?
Hop on a meeting with me, I'll take 5-10 minutes max. It's a lot better than me sending you a PowerPoint, because we can get your questions answered right away. Plus if my services can be smacked on a simple PowerPoint, it's not special.
(If they're really stubborn, just send it to them)

Do you do everything yourself?
We have a team of professionals who handle your matters.

Have you ever worked for a dealership before?
No, but I've built 3 marketing plans for a large BMW dealer, one of them being a trade show. I'm also certified in marketing. Here's there contact, if you want a referral: _________________.

Can I submit you for a co-op?
Absolutely. (That's basic marketing knowledge. It's also obvious that you never admit a weakness to a client, so I'd never say "what's that".)

I appreciate your response, but I can't help but notice you've assumed I'm going to give stupid answers to everything...with all due respect, there's a solid difference between tough love and your response - tough love uplifts, this is shunning. For example, why would I try to market making websites.....without a website?

No biggie though, I know the world isn't sunshine and rainbows. Hope this clarified things.

Have an amazing day.

Id take it a step further and ask what exactly is offered in marketing/social media/SEO that makes him competitive in the first place. The idea that an agency was formed, because the feedback he got to start an app turned him off of doing so, isnt exactly a positive selling point.

Being brand new, there's no existing clients for referrals, no proven results, etc. At this point, the forum is more of a consultancy for his own startup, than the other way around.

He should run some social media ads, generate some leads, and start from there to test his own strategies. Similar with paid search or anything else he plans on offering.

"agencies" that come and go are a dime a dozen. Plenty of dealers burned by overpromising the world.

My gripe about SEO is probably long in the tooth, but Im of the opinion that if one cant rank their own business on google search, then they have no business in selling SEO service to anyone else.
What makes me competitive is that I'll look at your competitors, send decoys (yes, decoys who will pretend to be customers) and tell the client exactly what they're doing and how to beat them at it. Along with a myriad of other tactics. Like finding the agency that dealership is working with, then pretending to be a client for the marketing agency and ask for a case study, and bingo, you've got some deep info on their marketing tactics.

No agency has the time to go as deep as I will.

I hate to even ask this, but why exactly did you choose automotive sector for what seems to be your first foray into direct sales, marketing, running an agency, or app development?

This is probably one of the hardest industries to sell to as a greenhorn. Its going to be exponentially harder with you admitting that you have no dealership experience, and you not planning on doing any of the actual work yourself. You're going to be competing against WELL established agencies that have proven results, SEO dedicated agencies, paid search dedicated agencies, paid social dedicated agencies.

Places that have people that have been specifically living and breathing those disciplines for 10+ years, that know them inside and out, and sales staff and a budget to pay them accordingly.

You're not trying to get a job at a retail operation, where you will be able to build a relationship as a new to the industry hire, you're asking for people to blindly trust you with their money, their business, and their reputation.

Ive seen incorrectly run ads message all kinds of nonsense, in some cases non-coop compliant, or worse. I've seen agencies blamed for messaging on the dealership website that became evidence in a state AG's investigation. Ive also seen incorrectly setup campaigns waste tens of thousands of client dollars (money you likely don't have to refund), and everything in between and the path you're on now is more or less guaranteed to go the destructive route more so than the alternative, of actually providing something of value of anyone willing to take a chance on you.

At this point, it would be nothing short of irresponsible to unleash you on any dealership as a service provider.
I've been a car enthusiast my entire life, and I've got family and friends who buy nice, expensive cars from dealers often. So I'm knee deep in being exposed to their ads...especially on Instagram, which honestly suck. Random TikTok creators do a million times better than these guys' videos.

If we run from competition, nothing's ever going to happen. I mentioned the USP in a newer, previous post.

And if it's irresponsible to "unleash" (interesting word choice) me on a dealer, then it was irresponsible to "unleash" (again, interesting word choice) any agency in their beginning.

If it was irresponsible to "unleash" and take risks as a business owner, then we wouldn't be in the state we're in today. (Generally speaking. Inflation sucks right now)

Maybe I'll "unleash" my self on ecommerce or something.

(Ngl, you made it sound like I'm some business tycoon with a killer plan to get rid of a competitor. I like it....lol)

I get why you guys are giving out hard love to this youngster and in ways agree too but why so be harsh on him?

Everyone needs to start from zero.

What's wrong with out sourcing your work? Henry Ford did and he put to shame a group of reporters who came to call him out.

So, I know uncle Joe is very hip on the boots on the ground idea. but this is the ideal situation where the dealerships isn't going to take advantage of him and will teach him the ropes.
i can see how getting burned on the phone daily and talking with people who actually have to make decisions could most likely be more informative than chatting with Jim Norton over in sales.

How would a dealership fails to check their own marketing ... ? I was going to say I am confused here but I can see how service has proven to me why this would happen,
Thank you!

A lot of you in here are correct.
But I don't think it's tough love...more like being bashed on.

No worries. I'll figure something out one day.

Might give e-commerce a shot. Either in the automotive industry or elsewhere. Or stick with this. Not sure though. I'd ask for advice, but I know this isn't the smartest place to ask that specific question....a lot of hate lmao.

I'd like to thank everyone here for their input. Although it did get a little tight at the end, I have no hard feelings for anyone. I understand you're trying to give advice, it's just stuck in the communication. Your responses to me for the past couple months have helped me choose new ventures and make decisions.

I'm going to copy and paste my reply to your original post below - I think if you go back and re-read everything, you'll see deep down we are all sincerely trying to help you and steer you in the right direction.

DealerRefresh is a wealth of industry knowledge and we want you, like all vendors, to be successful because it ultimately benefits us, the dealers.

You're clearly driven and have a lot of passion, don't let this be discouraging. Wishing you luck in whatever endeavor you end up landing on!

On April 30, 2024 Ryan Everson posted:

@autovantaofficialI love the enthusiasm to get in the automotive marketing business at such a young age!

I have a similar story, I started working at my family's car dealership when I was 13 - handling the marketing, IT, typing deals, collecting payments, and riding along on the occasional repo!

Then in high school, I started an online SaaS company that served as a credit bureau consortium alternative for BHPH dealerships. Somewhat similar to what Point Predictive is doing today, but at a smaller scale and a lot less polished. It started off as a high school marketing class project that I took to DECA internationals (high school business plan competition) and ultimately turned into a real business.

So my suggestion would be to find a small mom and pop dealer in your hometown and volunteer to work there. Let them be your playground to test new ideas!

Selling car dealers a new marketplace subscription is going to be an uphill battle and not one I'd personally recommend going down if I'm being completely honest. Lots of potential in other areas though - running facebook ads that convert into leads and sales could be a lucrative niche.

I would just recommend narrowing it down to the 1 thing you’re most passionate about and start from there. No need to be everything to everyone right off the bat, find a niche and expand organically.

Also, if you're still looking for colleges to attend, I'd highly recommend checking out Northwood University. They are well-known in the automotive space and car dealers from across the country send their kids to college there. I went there and loved it.

Source: Car Sales Website Startup

I've been a car enthusiast my entire life, and I've got family and friends who buy nice, expensive cars from dealers often. So I'm knee deep in being exposed to their ads...especially on Instagram, which honestly suck. Random TikTok creators do a million times better than these guys' videos.

If we run from competition, nothing's ever going to happen. I mentioned the USP in a newer, previous post.

And if it's irresponsible to "unleash" (interesting word choice) me on a dealer, then it was irresponsible to "unleash" (again, interesting word choice) any agency in their beginning.

If it was irresponsible to "unleash" and take risks as a business owner, then we wouldn't be in the state we're in today. (Generally speaking. Inflation sucks right now)

Maybe I'll "unleash" my self on ecommerce or something.

(Ngl, you made it sound like I'm some business tycoon with a killer plan to get rid of a competitor. I like it....lol)
Hold on now. Don't give up.

The world is full of success stories in which someone entered a space that was competitive and overflowing. That does not mean that you should give up. Don't take it personal and for the love of God don't ever pay attention to the delivery in Dealer Refresh. Focus on the message. A question that is posed in a manner that lacks tact is nothing more than a question. These questions are preparing you for battle my friend. And make no mistake, it is a battle. Every one of those questions give you ammunition. "What about _______________?". "That is not an issue for me, _______________ is how I handle that". The quicker you answer the more credibility you have.

Go find a dealership that is close to where you live. Find someone that has a lot of inventory, but doesn't look like they probably sell a lot of cars. If they aren't on the 3rd Party sites, that is even better. You can easily search them to see if they are. Look for websites that are hosted by the littlest of the little providers. Auto Corner, Carsforsale, Motordesk, AutoJini, etc. Go see them, and tell them what you are doing. Tell them that you want to do a Case Study and picked their dealership. Tell them what you offer and that you will do it for nothing. All they have to do is pay the Facebook or Google bill. Keep great records of what you did for them. Make sure their Google Analytics is up to date. Go to work. In 30 days, you have some data. In 60 days, you have dependable data. In 90 days, you have a pretty damn good Case Study.

It is easy to find people to tell you why something won't work. It is hard to find people to tell you why something WILL work or what you have to do to make it work. Do you know what every single success story has in common? The person at the top believed they could...so they did. This was your first test. You get to decide if you passed or failed.

Go back through this entire thread and RE-READ every one of @Ryan Everson posts. He is giving you a lot of good advice. It isn't wrapped in pretty tissue paper, but don't pay attention to that. Focus on the message, not the delivery.

I'm going to copy and paste my reply to your original post below - I think if you go back and re-read everything, you'll see deep down we are all sincerely trying to help you and steer you in the right direction.

DealerRefresh is a wealth of industry knowledge and we want you, like all vendors, to be successful because it ultimately benefits us, the dealers.

You're clearly driven and have a lot of passion, don't let this be discouraging. Wishing you luck in whatever endeavor you end up landing on!

On April 30, 2024 Ryan Everson posted:

@autovantaofficialI love the enthusiasm to get in the automotive marketing business at such a young age!

I have a similar story, I started working at my family's car dealership when I was 13 - handling the marketing, IT, typing deals, collecting payments, and riding along on the occasional repo!

Then in high school, I started an online SaaS company that served as a credit bureau consortium alternative for BHPH dealerships. Somewhat similar to what Point Predictive is doing today, but at a smaller scale and a lot less polished. It started off as a high school marketing class project that I took to DECA internationals (high school business plan competition) and ultimately turned into a real business.

So my suggestion would be to find a small mom and pop dealer in your hometown and volunteer to work there. Let them be your playground to test new ideas!

Selling car dealers a new marketplace subscription is going to be an uphill battle and not one I'd personally recommend going down if I'm being completely honest. Lots of potential in other areas though - running facebook ads that convert into leads and sales could be a lucrative niche.

I would just recommend narrowing it down to the 1 thing you’re most passionate about and start from there. No need to be everything to everyone right off the bat, find a niche and expand organically.

Also, if you're still looking for colleges to attend, I'd highly recommend checking out Northwood University. They are well-known in the automotive space and car dealers from across the country send their kids to college there. I went there and loved it.

Source: Car Sales Website Startup
Thank you for all your help on these posts.

I do understand you were trying to help, some things just get stuck in communication. That's okay!

I was thinking about narrowing it down to just social media...I'm young, so I know how it works better than most, and a lot of dealers don't have great social media presence or content.

Reactions: Tallcool1