• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Cash for Clunkers

I read that the cash for the vouchers would be electronically deposited in the dealers account sorta like a tax refund. Not sure how the cars will be disposed of after that???? The Only rules I have seen is the car must be drivable and insured for the last year- I haven't seen anything about salvage/rebuilt titles being excluded.

How can we advertise that we're giving 3500/4500$ vouchers when we have no idea how it's going to happen? Am I supposed to tell customers that I don't know how the process works when they ask how to go about getting the voucher?

I'm curious as to why this information isn't at the forefront of the Bill...

I have been doing as Alex suggested and using the words "as the bill currently sits" and let them know we are still waiting for the executive signature from President Obama so the Bill can be finalized. Yes there is still details that need to be worked out but the idea is to find the in market shoppers that didn't become in market till the Government decided to give them 4500.00 for their 500.00 sled. Tell customers what you know- direct them to the information located on fueleconomy.gov and follow up till all the details are worked out. The problem that I keep running into is all the misinformation that has been circulating. This is one I ran into the other day - Customer decides to trade his 2008 Ford F-150 and buy a Corolla and then asks how he can collect his voucher since he upgraded his MPG rating.

Here's the easiest excuse: "It is the government - what do you expect? Certainty, order, and organization? Were you born yesterday?"

You can write anything off to the Gov ;)

We should have a complete program before July 1st, so hang tight and keep following up with your customers!

Obama signed it today :thumbup:

"Eligible trade-in vehicle" means:
A) Is in drivable condition;
B) Has been continuously insured consistent with the applicable State law and registered to the same owner for a period of not less than 1 year immediately prior to such trade-in;
C) was manufactured less than 25 years before the date of the trade-in; and
D) In the case of an automobile, has a combined fuel economy value of 18 miles per gallon or less

Somebody tell me not only who actually owns a vehicle like this (an older rolls royce, cadillac - large vehicle) who would also be looking to trade this kind of vehicle in for $3500-4500 and a new higher fuel efficient car.

Somebody tell me not only who actually owns a vehicle like this (an older rolls royce, cadillac - large vehicle) who would also be looking to trade this kind of vehicle in for $3500-4500 and a new higher fuel efficient car.

Me - I have a 1997 Jimmy that fits the criteria and I plan on trading it and my Corolla S in for something different or maybe trade my wife's Gmc Envoy XUV in on a Toyota SUV.I know many folks that have second or third cars that will trade because of the extra money that will be allowed. My Jimmy is junk but it drives and I have owned it for much longer then a year and I keep liability insurance on it. The wife doesn't like it sitting in the drive way and I was going to sell it a few months back but then I caught wind of this program. Trust me in KY we have many conservative folks that will be asking about this. I am excited!