• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Cash for Clunkers

"Eligible trade-in vehicle" means:
A) Is in drivable condition;
B) Has been continuously insured consistent with the applicable State law and registered to the same owner for a period of not less than 1 year immediately prior to such trade-in;
C) was manufactured less than 25 years before the date of the trade-in; and
D) In the case of an automobile, has a combined fuel economy value of 18 miles per gallon or less

Somebody tell me not only who actually owns a vehicle like this (an older rolls royce, cadillac - large vehicle) who would also be looking to trade this kind of vehicle in for $3500-4500 and a new higher fuel efficient car.

Tons of people. In fact, Toyota says they have over 200,000 vehicles that were recently serviced that would qualify as a "clunker". Just take a look at this qualifying vehicles list: Qualifying “Clunkers” Cash for Clunkers Information for VA

On the Cars.gov page it states:

The law requires dealers to be registered to participate in the program. We are moving as quickly as possible to register interested dealers. As dealers are registered, we will list them on this website. We will continue to update this list during the life of the program. Meanwhile, you may wish to contact dealers in your area to ask whether they plan to participate in the program.

Where do dealers sign up at?

Thanks

On the Cars.gov page it states:

The law requires dealers to be registered to participate in the program. We are moving as quickly as possible to register interested dealers. As dealers are registered, we will list them on this website. We will continue to update this list during the life of the program. Meanwhile, you may wish to contact dealers in your area to ask whether they plan to participate in the program.

Where do dealers sign up at?

Thanks

It's my understanding that this part of the program is currently being worked on.

Now it looks like the media is bashing dealers who are advertising information about cash for clunkers/C.A.R.S. even the Government has been involved. I caught an update on the local news talking about different websites and then I found this article online. Beware of "Cash for Clunkers" Scams - U.S. News Rankings and Reviews

They're talking about sites that say a consumer "has to" register to get the voucher. I have yet to see one of those, but I'm not actively searching around for all the Cash for Clunkers/CARS Program sites. I find it funny that the government issues this program to benefit the automotive industry, thus promoting the economy, but gets upset when the industry tries to reach out to the consumers to actually make the program happen. Of course there will be third party organizations that will also work to capitalize on this as well - I say good! The more money that circulates, the better for everyone. Capitalism at its finest :thumbup: