• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Cash for Clunkers

They're talking about sites that say a consumer "has to" register to get the voucher. I have yet to see one of those, but I'm not actively searching around for all the Cash for Clunkers/CARS Program sites. I find it funny that the government issues this program to benefit the automotive industry, thus promoting the economy, but gets upset when the industry tries to reach out to the consumers to actually make the program happen. Of course there will be third party organizations that will also work to capitalize on this as well - I say good! The more money that circulates, the better for everyone. Capitalism at its finest :thumbup:
Yes the article that I selected talks about it in that way but the local news has been reporting it a little differently because of a local dealers ad campaign but I totally agree with you on the government getting upset. Cue up the Alanis Morrisette- "Isn't it ironic" soundtrack :dance2::dance2:

This is after sitting in on the "Cash For Clunkers" webinar hosted by NHTSA and NADA:

It's concerning that the government has built a nation-wide program scheduled to "for real" start by July 24th (technically started 6 days ago) with many questions unanswered as to the logistics.

Through what process will we, dealers, be insured that the money is still available to credit us for the deal we just wrote?
States such as New Hampshire don't require insurance - how will this be addressed?
Step by step what is the registration process?

There are dozens more questions about scrapping, entities vs individual persons, etc. Even if answers to the insurance question listed above is, "Sorry New Hampshire, but these are the rules we have decided on. You will have to work around them", at least it is an answer. Defined rules that may upset some people are much more useful than "TBD"'s.

While a great idea it seems CARS should simply be given more time to get the infrastructure in place to handle such a project.

That being said, I personally am optimistic that the government and the nation will be able to pull this off. I suppose time will tell.

Got my 1st CARS request today. Customer stated "I read that the Mazda5 qualifies and I have a 1999 Monte Carlo"

I wonder where he read about the Mazda5 because I haven't seen anything about specific cars, and his car does NOT qualify.

That's what I told him. I just thought it was off that he said he read that the MAZDA5 was eligible. Where would he read that?

If he got it from the website, he should have been 2 clicks from seeing the info on his own car.

Odd.

Fueleconomy.gov - look for the car you want and see if the combined MPG is 22 or higher.

How do you convert sales NOW :ltbulb: is the big question. I believe that many customers are thinking they have a car that will qualify. When in fact, as a perfect example in another post, the vehicle that have will not qualify.

I'm thinking that it's better to get it out in the open and help customers answer the question themselves. If they find out now, they may purchase now. If their car qualifies, than you line um up and sell , starting Jluy 24th.

Should be gang busters !