• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

ChatGPT - This is pretty awesome :)

Primarily used car descriptions is great. Can do a great new car description but does make you wonder.. .where does it know this? This is of course a temp issue as it will soon be realtime
And will just get better over time. I actually went back and saw I was wrong before - the newest GPT-4 actually does have the ability to actively search the internet for time-related data. pretty cool!

With Developers... we are finding it really useful for code checks, refactor and 'how can I improve this'. Its making a 'so so' dev a decent dev. A decent dev, becomes a good dev and a good dev becomes worried.
This is probably my biggest concern. The text stuff is pretty nifty, but coding is a different beast where you really need to understand what every line is doing or you'll end up with a whole mess of bugs. That's why stackOverflow stopped allow GPT answers.

This is probably my biggest concern. The text stuff is pretty nifty, but coding is a different beast where you really need to understand what every line is doing or you'll end up with a whole mess of bugs. That's why stackOverflow stopped allow GPT answers.
I think stackOverflow is more worried about surviving at this point. Same with Experts Exchange etc.
But yes, you still need to know how to code, which is a good thing.
Great example:
Had a huge form had to do.
dropped in a few notes to chatgpt
wrote all the input fields along with name attributes etc. based on my table columns.
took about 30sec.
Not too hard to do, but time consuming if doing by hand.
Also code suggestions: great training aid and ensuring you think of some of the easily ignored ideas.
Check code: you can look at something all day and still not see the obvious. Copy/paste and often will point out the issue/comma etc
Knowing how to prompt is very important.. but get that figured out.. very powerful

I have heard the benefits of using chatgpt. However, the potential future risks to humanity are alarming. Watch some of the warnings issued by Elon Musk and others in the know. I was going to download the software onto my computer but then stopped. Italy recently banned chatgpt due to data privacy concerns and other european union countries could soon follow.

I have heard the benefits of using chatgpt. However, the potential future risks to humanity are alarming. Watch some of the warnings issued by Elon Musk and others in the know. I was going to download the software onto my computer but then stopped. Italy recently banned chatgpt due to data privacy concerns and other european union countries could soon follow.
When I read that, I read 'the powers that be don't want the average european to have access'. Not sure I see any privacy concern. It's only gathering publicly available info. Government overstepping once again.

Reactions: craigh
With Developers... we are finding it really useful for code checks, refactor and 'how can I improve this'. Its making a 'so so' dev a decent dev. A decent dev, becomes a good dev and a good dev becomes worried.
As a previous dev and someone who runs a software company, I don't find this to be true.. yet.
The code produced by ChatGPT is great for scripts and utilities, but from what I have seen it's not near the quality I would consider acceptable for object-oriented programming in a framework. It can certainly solve an individual problem, but working inside a larger application is a different story.

With that said, we use it for DevOps all the time. Server issues, scaling questions, etc - it's awesome as a sidekick anytime we're working on our infrastructure.

When I read that, I read 'the powers that be don't want the average european to have access'. Not sure I see any privacy concern. It's only gathering publicly available info. Government overstepping once again.
This.
The government has always failed to do what is *best* for the people in favour of what is best for them, the economy, big corporations, etc. ChatGPT is a privacy concern if you give it your private data - without that, it's just a tool that can be used a million different ways.

Reactions: Alex Snyder
Great example:
Had a huge form had to do.
dropped in a few notes to chatgpt
wrote all the input fields along with name attributes etc. based on my table columns.
took about 30sec.
Agreed on this ^^. Basic class setup / skeleton code or boilerplate code is great. Most people copy paste from other Repos anyways, so this way at least it's pre-written for your specific intent.