1. Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealer.com Advertising is a no go according to DDC themselves

Discussion in 'Websites, SEO, SEM, Display, Social, Marketing' started by GreenMtBoy, Apr 29, 2019.

This forum sponsored by...
  1. Alexander Lau

Alexander Lau
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Alex
    JFC, never let it be said that I didn't warn you. What did I tell you about their inability to SCALE!? Please son...
    [​IMG]

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #11 Alexander Lau, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  2. This forum sponsored by...
  3. Timothy Main

Timothy Main
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

First Name:
    Timothy
    Dealer or Company Name:
    PureCars
    Hey John, its been a while since we last spoke.

I've known about this change for a while and from what I've been told your assessment is pretty much spot on. I believe VIN has been running this model for a while but the title has been Performance Manager.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alexander Lau

Alexander Lau
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Alex
    [​IMG]

https://forum.dealerrefresh.com/threads/dealer-com-sites-are-down.5888/page-3

Looks like they are unable to scale this properly from a resource standpoint, as well.

5. NickCybela

NickCybela
    Expand Collapse
    Refresher

First Name:
    Nick
    Dealer or Company Name:
    FlowFound
    Twitter Handle:
    nickcybela
    Is the reality that on scale dealers want a very simple program and often a single point to manage? Do they care enough to sign a long term agreement, or pay more for someone that is handling less accounts?

There isn't as much margin as you might think after the intermediary agencies, OEM, and technology companies take their fees. And, conversely, how many great digital folks do you know that want to work the 12+ hour, 6 day work weeks that dealers do (and often demand)?

I'm a huge advocate of dealer groups doing innovative things like digital retailing or test drives online to drive incremental results while most around them do the digital shuffle with "scalable" solutions. But also think that perhaps the issue isn't quite as simple as you imagine.

#14 NickCybela, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Alexander Lau

Alexander Lau
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Alex
    If you're referring to my comments on "scaling," I've talked to countless dealerships that are completely unhappy with their specific level of service and have been for a while (it's what I do as a consultant, listen and then make recommendations).

So, what's the root cause of this? IMO, and let's keep in mind the initial post here, where an internal resource is barking about being slave driven, it's their inability to scale their offerings properly. This goes way back as well. Rather than complain without a solution, let's try and assess the cause of the issue. Spend more money on better resources and more of them, perhaps??? This goes for their internal technology as well (remember dead websites and the SEO issues -- we could bump those threads easily).

I mean, give me a fucking break, it's Cox dude.

7. John V.

John V.
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    John
    Dealer or Company Name:
    The Apex Automotive Group
    Scalability is not the problem here. They have all the resources they need to handle 50% of the dealer body in the US if they wanted to.

Back in the mid-2000s when Dealer.com won 100% of all the SOA and CLLC business plus added thousands of retail accounts in a very short period of time, Dealer.com was less than half the size personnel wise at that time and we "crushed it". Why? Your main POC at DDC was also your sales rep. They had a vested interest in making sure you were happy or else you would not buy our product. They made sure your website was rocking and built trust and report with the key decision makers. Granted, this is back when we had to up-sell mobile sites (!!!) It all changed when they made your day to day contact a flat rate employee with no commission. Bring back a commission incentivized Account Manager and watch your support level increase.

Let's not forget where this is all starting from: Some disgruntled employee (I am willing to bet this was their first real job) started complaining about being required to have 70 websites assigned to them. That's little league Intern level client loads. They then used DDC advertising as way to help justify their whining.

Look, dealer.com is not perfect. No vendor is. But this didn't change anyone's opinion of DDC from what your current position was of them before. Be honest.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Not sure I agree Not sure I agree x 1
  8. Alex Snyder

Alex Snyder
    Expand Collapse
    President Skroob

First Name:
    Alex
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    axsnyder
    You are both right. There was a time when the energy was vibrant on 1 Howard Street. But there was also a time when the products weren't as complex and the dealers weren't as knowledgeable.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Alexander Lau

Alexander Lau
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Alex
    That's on them. What, did they think FAR SMARTER competition and dealer knowledge wouldn't flourish? Too bad... and I get that this is an internal gripe post, but the number of complaints and fuck ups are starting to stack, so there's something to this. When will the OEMs wakeup, that's the question???

10. mikesayre

mikesayre
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Mike
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Kenwood Dealer Group
    Looks like DDC is implementing a business decision to maximize sales in digital advertising & online services? That's what business does, sometimes the process to make that happen and a refocus into a sales culture is challenging. Cox has done this over the years and across the board for all their companies, it shouldn't be a surprise. They are very successful and are focused on progressive growth. It's unfortunate this objection was aired in public, but I wouldn't believe this will be unique to any vendor in the automotive business going forward. Sales and revenue for dealerships will be in question for some time, and cost cutting with vendors is inevitable.

I'll say DDC has been a great partner for us over the years, and I've always had great relationships with my group managers. They are very accommodating, and work with us to implement our strategy's as a group, OEM level, and at the store level, more often than not our strategies being overly complex:) I've never known how many account's were managed or had any issues with my group managers knowledge or talent of understanding the landscape of automotive with my experiences, but I'm not asking the group managers to do everything either, it's a partnership and the dealers have to carry their load as well. DDC was always accommodating with opening up extra tools to manage a large portion of all the websites and digital services we have, and also keeping things organized for me, I realized early on 7 years ago I couldn't do my job well without their help. If DDC changes the partnership we have, makes it always is about selling services or raising digital spend, I guess we'll have to reevaluate and move on, that's just business.

• Like Like x 1
  11. john.quinn

john.quinn
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    John
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    JohnGQuinn
    Neutral Observer: took 9 seconds for me on my (old) 5s.