• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dealer's Gone Lead-Gen Crazy

Autotrader ran a Transparency.ai attribution report on our group and accidentally did some stores that were not utilizing any Autotrader or KBB products.

The stores that weren't using Autotrader/KBB had the same % of sales attributed to Autotrader/KBB as those that were spending $10K+ /month. :egads:
LOL, actually Transparency.ai was partnering with AT, but was bought and I'm not even sure they are in the automotive vertical any longer. SEM Casting owns them and I think bought them out for their IP.

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/semcasting-acquires-transparency-ai-2231234.htm

DEAD: https://www.transparency.ai/

Last edited:
Autotrader ran a Transparency.ai attribution report on our group and accidentally did some stores that were not utilizing any Autotrader or KBB products.

The stores that weren't using Autotrader/KBB had the same % of sales attributed to Autotrader/KBB as those that were spending $10K+ /month. :egads:

:rofl: whoops. If that's true, then it proves what a lot have been saying over the years. Like @Chris Leslie.

Reactions: Chris Leslie
:rofl: whoops. If that's true, then it proves what a lot have been saying over the years. Like @Chris Leslie.
The way Transparency defined "attributed profits" was if one of our sold customers visited AutoTrader or KBB in the 3 months before they bought from us. That doesn't necessarily mean they had to look at our inventory on Autotrader.

It did make me question what's the point of advertising on Autotrader if the customers were going to buy from us regardless?

I still think there's value in Autotrader, but the Transparency reports made me question my logic.

Reactions: Alex Snyder
The way Transparency defined "attributed profits" was if one of our sold customers visited AutoTrader or KBB in the 3 months before they bought from us. That doesn't necessarily mean they had to look at our inventory on Autotrader.

It did make me question what's the point of advertising on Autotrader if the customers were going to buy from us regardless?

I still think there's value in Autotrader, but the Transparency reports made me question my logic.
I would agree with you, from the data I have seen (I'm completely indifferent / neutral = no skin in the game), CarGurus, Cars and AT provide the most bang for your buck, in that order.

I like the stuff that Fair is doing, we'll see where that goes...
https://www.fair.com/dealer

Ryan, you think it’s still possible to get a copy of one of your month end reports that we were talking about at D-sales last year?

A DR classic (there's sooo much good info in these forums)

upload_2018-3-2_10-56-7.png
I made this image 4-5 yrs ago, it's still relevant.

@Alexander Lau image summed up why we're so slow to evolve.

upload_2018-3-2_11-0-0.png

We can measure all kinds of stuff, but we've yet to connect internet activity to a sale.
Dealers see leads and see sales and conclude I want more lead gen! Attribution'ers performance claims won't be believed until the work can predict a dealer's sales (thereby validating the activity to the sale)