Whitney Williams

Full Sticker + Prep
Nov 5, 2015
First Name
Whitney
The short answer is yes—in due time.

The need for more commonplace electric vehicles is growing. In some areas of the world, cutting down on carbon dioxide emissions is reaching critical importance. China and India are already visiting the need for electric buses because air quality stays consistently in a dangerous range. Collectively, we're all concerned about global warming and increasingly so. Today, revamping the way the world drives isn't priority number one, and that’s not to say it isn’t in the back of everyone's’ mind. Although electric cars were once reserved for concerned environmentalists, times are changing. The number of everyday consumers who want to further their knowledge about driving a car you plug in to fuel it increases by the day.

Consumer Reports found while most people don't quite understand electric vehicles, it's not from a lack of interest. Almost 70% of those surveyed said, "I've heard of plug-in EVs but don't know much about them." Still, 7 out of 10 American drivers are interested in getting an electric vehicle in the future, according to the December 2020 Consumer Report.

There's definitely a cool factor surrounding electric vehicles. They're still mysterious and different, so they're intriguing. Though formerly only available in a hatchback model, the range is widening. As it stands, availability for all isn't there yet. Price-wise, an electric vehicle isn't on your average customer's radar. Style and size come into play. CR reported that 7 in 10 respondents cited a need for electric SUVs, pickups, and more. Convenience is a deterrent right now as well. In rural areas, for example, there aren't any charging stations. Forbes said it best by explaining that "a lot of American's won't buy an EV until they see a massive charging station at every major interstate, right next to Wendy’s."

Consumers don't want to make the leap with a vehicle without some understanding. The how, where, and when of driving an EV is still not well grasped. Switching from a gas pump to a charging station means mapping out the driving route like never before to prevent getting stranded. Most won't deny the growing need to overhaul the way we drive for the sake of our environment. Still, the reality of electric cars on every road is a ways away. Some experts predict we'll all be in electric vehicles by 2040. In 2020 already, California Gov. Gavin Newsom passed an executive order stating only zero-emission vehicles will be sold in the state after 2035, effectively banning gas-powered vehicle sales.

One unpredictable day when the emergency has passed, dealers should be highly interested in the excitement of EV. Millennials are the second-highest market for electric vehicles. They also install accessories "at a 42% higher rate and spend 61% more on accessories," according to Foresight. Those are some promising numbers when you look forward to cutting edge accessories for electric vehicles.

As far as the experience, it's a major step up. Electric vehicles do have their advantages. They provide a silent and easier driving experience. They accelerate more quickly, and maintenance is low. The possibilities here are endless. EVs have the opportunity to grow an already massive Vehicle Personalization industry.

What do you think? Will you turn your attention to electric vehicles when the dust settles? Change is always coming.

The part that has me very cold on the EV trend is the lack of ability to do a marathon road trip. To drive anywhere, at this point, requires a LOT more planning, to make sure there are charging stations along the way, and have to build in extra time to sit & wait for recharges to occur. Add to that, the difference in distance capability based on temperature... the technology has a ways to go.

Hypocrisy continues to get better and better and better. Hybrids proved nobody cares about the environment. Forgot to mention that big ass battery filled with crap that sits in a landfill. No worries!

So, let's mine some toxic stuff from the earth with slaves and make a whole new green technology :dance2:

And no worries on the big ass battery disposal again :hidepc:

I don't have the answer to what is better than gas… aside from diesel… but you can see that sooty "pollution" so it must be really bad :rolleyes:

What I do know is that I will continue to look the other way when a celebrity promotes an EV as environmentally friendly and consider buying one when more REAL car dealer sells them and they can go more than 500 miles on a charge.

While my bullet-proofed and deleted 6.0 F350 with 700+lbfttq is ready to let me get my redneck jollies. I might even put a shotgun in the rack and hang some truck nuts.

Reactions: Richie K and ChrisR
Hypocrisy continues to get better and better and better. Hybrids proved nobody cares about the environment. Forgot to mention that big ass battery filled with crap that sits in a landfill. No worries!

So, let's mine some toxic stuff from the earth with slaves and make a whole new green technology :dance2:

I don't have the answer to what is better than gas… aside from diesel… but you can see that sooty "pollution" so it must be really bad :rolleyes:

What I do know is that I will continue to look the other way when a celebrity promotes an EV as environmentally friendly and consider buying one when a REAL car dealer sells them and they can go more than 500 miles on a charge.

While my bullet-proofed and deleted 6.0 F350 with 700+lbfttq is ready to let me get my redneck jollies. I might even put a shotgun in the rack and hang some truck nuts.

Can you tell I live in Vermont with a bunch of hippies who only believe what the news tells them?

Let them keep thinking that, my CoVid market crash copper stock investments are doing GREAT!

Reactions: Alex Snyder
The part that has me very cold on the EV trend is the lack of ability to do a marathon road trip. To drive anywhere, at this point, requires a LOT more planning, to make sure there are charging stations along the way, and have to build in extra time to sit & wait for recharges to occur. Add to that, the difference in distance capability based on temperature... the technology has a ways to go.
Agree that EV couldn't really catch on without a major overhaul in charging station availability (and charging time)....and I think we're going to see it happen.

What I do know is that I will continue to look the other way when a celebrity promotes an EV as environmentally friendly and consider buying one when more REAL car dealer sells them and they can go more than 500 miles on a charge.

Alex, I hear your point. The crudeness wasn't necessary to make it.

Reactions: dreyermeister
Alex, I hear your point. The crudeness wasn't necessary to make it.

When it comes to political hot potatoes it is.

Our society wishes mankind to evolve far beyond what evolution will allow. We are forced to be politically correct to go along when we are actually emotional beings at our core. We disagree on things, but if society has a different "popular" perspective our voice is not allowed to be heard. Because we are still emotional beings at our core, the popular perspective is usually free to grow without reason; saturated in emotion.

I punch through with crudeness. My aim is to bring reason back into the conversation, or maybe just my emotional take.

This is DealerRefresh. It is full of car dealers. Electric Vehicles, to date, have translated into one word for dealers: Tesla. This is a company who has been spitting on car dealers by trying to break down the franchise laws that allow car dealers to exist. If they were to be successful DealerRefresh would also cease to exist. This is topic that is deeply rooted in emotion for people who participate on this website.

Whitney, I'm not holding you at fault for the topic. And I do like the kind of driving thrills EVs provide. I'll probably own one when OEMs like Mercedes, Porsche, Ford, BMW, etc are selling them through their dealer networks. The point of my crude post was to point out how silly society is about these things and bring the reason back about what is truly being done to manufacture them.

• :light:
Reactions: ChrisR