The transition to electric vehicles (EVs) is accelerating. Visions of a brighter, more optimistic world emerge when thinking changes from fossil fuels to all-electric. The UK government's decision to restrict the sale of all new non-electric cars, including gasoline, diesel, and hybrid vehicles, beginning in 2035, underscores the country's commitment to reducing its carbon footprint by 2050.
This is a wonderful decision. The demand for electric vehicles is increasing over the world. People are getting increasingly concerned about the climate issue. However, EVs will remain on the peripheral of mainstream conventional mobility until they have more to offer. The battery is the most common problem that manufacturers face. The charging time for standard big batteries is longer. Even with the best-in-class energy densities, the battery must be rather large to obtain the desired electric range.
STAY CONNECTED isn't a novel function in electric vehicles. The latest technologies, on the other hand, are bringing new flavors to the EV vehicle's feature set. The usage of a mobile app to track the status of your vehicle is a fresh topic of discussion. What if you could operate your car even if you weren't physically present within it? It's all very James Bond!
A stumbling block is a long drive. If your trip distance exceeds your battery range, you may require charging stations.

I think the upcoming presidential election could actually push more people to buy EVs this year if they believe the $7,500 discount is likely to go away.

It won't generate new buyers, it will just accelerate any EV sales that were already likely going to buy in the next 2-3 years, and really dry up demand in 2025.

• :light:
Reactions: Alex Snyder
Customers do not want EVs.

I feel if the government (Federal and some states) would've let the market dictate, these manufacturers would have pushed the hybrid game significantly and we would have higher acceptance than we currently do.

Problem is 1000% the government.

For instance, mfgs could build fun/exciting EVs and use technology like BMW's "range extender" which is a small gas engine that provides 20-40 additional miles if battery power is drained so that you do not have the risk of being stranded.

Then further more - in Europe the range extender can be utilized when battery % is at 70 or 50% but in the US it can only be utilized at 5% (or 10%, I don't recall the exact cut off). and this is entirely because it wouldn't be classified as an EV and meet arbitrary US Gov't standards.

No one is buying an F-150 Lightening and accepting of the 75 mile range when towing their boat or a camper. That's ridiculous.

Customers do not want EVs.

I really beg to differ. I want an EV, but I don't want a current generation EV. Right now, the battery technology requires the battery temperature to operate within a required range. And the electrolyte is flammable. Next generation batteries won't have this problem and the energy density will be better. Plus the charging infrastructure sucks right now.

I think we'll be in this weird transitory period for a while. But I think the writing is on the wall. The gains from technology in electric outpace combustion.

I think it's a mistake to think automakers slowing EV investments is a signal they're looking to abandon the technology. It's just that it's taking longer than anticipated. Overall I think it's a multi-generation technology ramp and the world is going to require a lot more energy than available today.

No one is buying an F-150 Lightening and accepting of the 75 mile range when towing their boat or a camper. That's ridiculous.

Yea 100%. But the Lightning is an awesome product for those it's designed for. Contractors, fleet vehicles, etc. They said up front if you're looking for a highway vehicle this isn't for you. If I had a construction company I'd have one.

EV's aren't for everyone. It's early technology. Remember plasma TVs? Twenty years goes by and you can buy a 85" 4K TV that weighs under 50 lbs for under $1,000. Just have to be patient...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon Singo
Here's the thing, if they can get the infrastructure right (many would say this is still a big if) I believe that there is a portion of the "undecided" that will get into an electric vehicle and drive it and will never want an ICE vehicle again. There is, of course, the "over my dead body" crowd, but, as always, you have to decide whether there are enough people in that crowd to matter. IF you can get the infrastructure right, if that number is only 20% it might make sense to continue to move forward. As I always tell my people, don't tailor what you do to the 20%. Do what works for the 80%. Where I struggle is the economic/resources/environment side of things. I hate that, as with most controversial things, it is about impossible to decipher what is real and what is propaganda. That being from both sides.

I'm a nerd. I want an EV.

But I'm also a realist and like gas pumps every few miles.

I also don't want my car tied to the grid where my online or in real life actions could threaten access to a car. Just a tad paranoid here and I don't want to pay per mile drive taxes.

My personal opinion…..

I don’t particularly like having things shoved down my throat. EV’s are one of those things. Unfortunately, the EV subject is entangled in politics and that is an issue for me. Politicians who are pushing EV’s are likely getting kickbacks from someone in that sector to promote them. Ok, so what, Richie? Well, read my first sentence.

From a practical standpoint…..I live in a rural area and EV’s are not practical for those who live in rural areas and have to commute to work. Also, as others have mentioned in this thread, to travel long distances in an EV takes extra time and planning. That will cut down the amount of time a family is able to go on vacation, having to make extra stops for charging and such. Imagine having to go somewhere in an emergency and can't because you have to wait on a charger.

A few weeks ago the dealership that I work for had someone who lives in this town stop in to borrow a charger. She was in a loaner car from a dealership about 25 miles away, and they didn’t leave her with enough charge to get back to them. Maybe that doesn’t happen very often, but it could.

I don’t mind EV’s. If I lived in a city and did mostly city driving with very few long-distance trips, I would surely own one. I live in a rural area and like knowing I can access any one of a hundred gas stations between here and the next large city, and that I can stop in for a fill up within 10 minutes and keep moving.

I don’t mind EV’s, but don’t make me give up my gas burner for one. It will not suit my lifestyle. I’m also a bit paranoid about technology, and I don’t want access to my car and driving to be limited because I didn’t meet some social quota or something.
Allow me to mention the whole lie about them being environmentally friendly. Don’t get me started on the batteries and the hazardous waste issues there.