• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Do Used Car Customers Buy Old Cars? We Have The Answer.

Ted Gaines

Full Sticker
Oct 30, 2018
First Name
Ted
Are your customers buying cars older than you are willing to sell?

UsedCarsBalloons.JPG

If your dealership automatically wholesales out all trade-ins more than three or four years old, you may want to reconsider. Why? Because you might be ignoring a large sector of the used car buying public. Understanding your market is key, and where you sell your cars is a factor. Read the article...

@Ted Gaines I was just having this conversation AGAIN with the GM. Being a Mercedes store, we have a very bad habit of not keeping vehicles that don't fit our "demographics." I've been bringing up this huge mistake and beating my head against the wall over this for a few years now but I seem to have made some progress over the last few months. QUIT WHOLESALING everything!! At least run it through the shop first - let's see what it needs.

Over the last 3 months we have sold the following vehicles that we otherwise would have wholesaled / sent to auction due to age, miles and not fitting in with our "perceived clientele."

2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2017 Honda Civic
2015 Nissan Rogue
2017 Jeep Compass
2016 Chevrolet Cruze Limited
2015 Jeep Cherokee
2014 Honda Pilot
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2015 RAM 2500
2014 Mercedes-Benz M-Class
2016 Honda Pilot
2013 BMW X5
2013 Chrysler 200
2016 GMC Sierra 1500
2015 Chrysler 300
2011 Mercedes-Benz E-Class
2016 Ford Transit-350
2017 Toyota Camry 2012
2012 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

We're a very small Benz dealer 40ish unit a month store so these sales turn into a BIG deal to our bottom line and paychecks. Especially with today's market :cool:.

Take advantage of the market! It's not always like this.

Flu season is a month away. Car shoppers are going to be right back where they were in March, April, and May. Drive-by traffic or "demographics" won't matter again once sickness scares are on the rise... AKA no drive-by traffic; all internet.

What does that mean for this thread: it doesn't matter what you stock as long as someone can find it online.