EVs are coming, but for how long?

Reactions: joe.pistell
Just getting back from a vacation down the east coast. Vermont is full of EVs, and our infrastructure is fairly decent. On top of that, over 70% of Vermont's power comes from hydroelectric dams, so the environmental hypocrisy of EVs isn't as bad as states that mostly generate electricity from coal.

Rivian is the biggest winner in my travels since last year. There were a few around Vermont last year, but I saw them all over this year. They're especially prevalent in Virginia Beach. I saw my first electric Mercedes on the road this trip. It was also in Virginia Beach.

We spent a little time in upstate New York and New Jersey. Very few EVs. Driving through Delaware and Marylands on the Eastern Shore... nearly zero EVs among the residents.

Very little infrastructure is apparent on roadsides and shopping centers outside of Vermont. I believe the people driving EVs are doing most of their charging at home. The bulk of the EVs I saw were the 6 figure ones.

Compared to last year's annual Virginia Beach trek (to see family), EVs on the road increased this year. There is no change in the number of noticeable charging stations. There was also an increase in the number of high-dollar ICE vehicles in Virginia Beach. The increase in $80k+ SUVs and pickup trucks far outnumbered the increase in EVs on the road.

Deadly cargo ship fire still burning on vessel carrying 500 electric vehicles in North Sea​

A fire on a cargo ship carrying more than 3,500 new vehicles was still burning Thursday in the North Sea a day after the Dutch coast guard said one crew member had died in the blaze. The company operating the cargo ship, K Line, was quoted by the Reuters news agency Friday as saying almost 500 of the vehicles on the stricken vessel, the Freemantle Highway car carrier, were battery electric vehicles (EVs)...

• Useful
Reactions: Alex Snyder
Ford Motor Company expects to lose a whopping $4.5 billion from its electric vehicles (EVs) this year, the company said in its second-quarter earnings report released Thursday.

The Michigan-based automaker said its all-electric vehicle division, called “Ford Model e,” has already lost more than $2.8 billion in the first two quarters of this year, including $1.8 billion in the second quarter alone or about $32,000 for every EV Ford has sold...

Reactions: Alex Snyder
You ever get the feeling that EV's are ELON's house of cards?
Wall street investors must have dragged Ford & GM CEO's into Elon's house and got them to drink Elon's Koolaide.

1691668177531.png
The EV marketplace today is in "the chasm" and the "Early Majority" consumers want Hybrids, not EVs.