EVs are coming, but for how long?

2023 Chevrolet Blazer 2LT AWD ICE = $39,195
2024 Chevrolet Blazer 2LT AWD EV= $56,715

That's a $320 /mo payment difference; how many buyers are going to willingly choose to pay 45% more for the "same" vehicle?
(7% apr @ 72mos)

GM never leads, it reacts to leaders.
Back in the day, GM made the same mistake with the Volt. 2x more expensive than the Chevy Cobalt XFE (Xtra Fuel Economy). Every Chevy salesperson greeted the Volt up with "why not buy TWO Chevy Cobalt XFEs?"

GM leaders should have led with the Caddy ELR instead of the Volt (ELR was a Volt with a Caddy skin)
1691673883286.png

GM leaders have learned nothing from the Volt failure.
Ugh.

GM never leads, it reacts to leaders.
Back in the day, GM made the same mistake with the Volt. 2x more expensive than the Chevy Cobalt XFE (Xtra Fuel Economy). Every Chevy salesperson greeted the Volt up with "why not buy TWO Chevy Cobalt XFEs?"

GM leaders should have led with the Caddy ELR instead of the Volt (ELR was a Volt with a Caddy skin)
View attachment 8073

GM leaders have learned nothing from the Volt failure.
Ugh.
Funny enough, I once owned a Cadillac ELR. Went from the Cadillac XLR (based on Corvette) to the ELR (Volt). Both were 2 of my favorite cars I've owned.

The $75k MSRP didn't make a lot of sense though, when the Volt was only $35k. And it only averaged 25 mile range on electric after 12 hours of charging...

1691674214528.png

And it only averaged 25 mile range on electric after 12 hours of charging...
I still own my 2012 Volt, Its got 50k miles and spends 99.9% of its life sitting.

I love the PHEV range scenario.
The 1st 25-35 miles are electric and the next 300 miles are gas. It's the best of both worlds. Run to Home Depot or the golf course 100% (solar) Electric powered, and, at a moments notice, I can drive... anywhere.

p.s. few ppl get my lic plate
1691675550756.png

Man forced to ditch $115K Ford EV truck during family road trip to Chicago: ‘biggest scam of modern times’​

Man forced to ditch $115K Ford EV truck during family road trip to Chicago: ‘biggest scam of modern times’

"...It was in [the] shop for 6 months. I can’t take it to my lake cabin. I cannot take it for off-grid camping. I cannot take for even a road trip," Bala wrote. "I can only drive in city – biggest scam of modern times."

What a read.

Thousands of GM and Ford dealers are being thrown into a black hole. Look at this EV Growth map:
1691755764871.png
Compare this to the map of "Megaregions" of the United States below.

Look at how these 2 maps are identical.
1691756040599.png
  • As of 2023, more than 80% of the population of the United States lives in the 13 megaregions​

• The 13 megaregions in the United States cover about 35% of the country's land area
  • Megaregions nicely defines where EV range anxiety is at its lowest and EV demand is the highest.
  • There are THOUSANDS of Ford & Chevy dealers that live outside the​

megaregions... they are f*cked.​

GM's Mary Barra & Ford's Jim Farley need products and dealer EV INVESTMENT policy that is "megaregions" aware.

-This classic Uncle Joe post :unclejoe: was powered by google bard

[sidebar] Megaregions dominate resources. This is why the Electoral College is critical to our freedom.
"The electoral college system in the United States helps to prevent megaregions from dominating politics. The electoral college system gives each state a certain number of electoral votes, based on its population. This means that smaller states have a greater say in the presidential election than they would if the election were decided by popular vote. This helps to ensure that the interests of all regions of the country are represented in the federal government."

Range anxiety is real in my non-megaregion life.
Master Plan: I am ready to buy an EV with V2H (Vehicle to Home). My home is solar powered and I am ready to power the EV with sunshine and use the EV as a home generator and possibly have the V2H EV become the electron reservoir for an off-the-grid system.

But, what about reduced range when it's cold?

I live in that grey area on the map where 5-6 months of the year it's damn cold.
1691760875692.png

"AAA tested the range effects of 20F degree weather on several popular EVs and found that temperature alone could reduce range by 10-12%, while the use of in-vehicle climate control could amplify range loss to 40%. Idaho National Labs reported that cold weather can increase charging times by almost threefold, as seen in this chart by AutoBlog." Link to Recurrent article

WTF, Really? Any old timers :unclejoe: drive a car w/o heat in the winter? You need an ice scraper INSIDE the car.

I am ready for 100% EV, but EV is not ready for me.

Next.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Kershner