EVs are coming, but for how long?

That's funny, I had a Volt back in the day too. Overall a great car, but depreciation wasn't good and just too small of a vehicle. I'm anxious to see where the Cybertruck lands price wise as they lead the market. I'm on the Silverado EV pre-order list, but with seeing the initial fleet price of $75k they can go pound sand.

Reactions: joe.pistell

^link to photos and Bloomberg article:

China’s Abandoned, Obsolete Electric Cars Are Piling Up in Cities​

Reactions: michaelsos
This topic is extremely interesting to me as it highlights a key product management tenant that seems so clear but gets violated often... We need to build products that solve a specific customer problems. No doubt EVs have value to a certain segment of the population. Tesla has their customer dialed in: Wealthy, environmental conscious consumers who want to drive a status symbol to an office that is 30min or less from home and they don't have to carry much of anything other than a laptop. This will be a 2nd or 3rd car and they will likely trade it on another vehicle in 5yrs or less (probably a bmw). This customer is a small subset of the population and Tesla is focused on owning them.

Everyone other than Tesla seems confused...The truck makers are the biggest head scratcher. We know that they build capable ICE trucks full of features that the average truck buyer will never use. You know, the cool stuff..like 4 wheel drive and tow packages... The consumer base is probably 20% people who need the capabilities and 80% people who want other people to think they need that capability. Back in the early 90s on the school bus we called these people "posers". Truck Posers are still customers with specific needs...they need a truck that can do awesome stuff that they will never do (insert Tim the tool man grunt). The auto manufacturers are so dumb that they built a truck that looks like a truck that has capabilities but it really doesn't have those capabilities and they want to sell this neutered piece of metal to the all the posers who specifically wanted those capabilities. Why, because they read a a study that showed that 80% of truck buyers don't need those capabilities but will spend $60k anyway. By this logic, why not sell them a cardboard truck? It is dumb and that is why the EV market is a mess.

2023 Chevrolet Blazer 2LT AWD ICE = $39,195
2024 Chevrolet Blazer 2LT AWD EV= $56,715

That's a $320 /mo payment difference; how many buyers are going to willingly choose to pay 45% more for the "same" vehicle?
(7% apr @ 72mos)
OR get a Tesla Model Y for $10k less with faster charging, longer range, larger charging network, and better autonomous driving features.

Interesting post -- haven't had time to factcheck

However - if if we ramp up production.extraction -- mining is "environmentally friendly" right??

View: https://twitter.com/MatthewWielicki/status/1700492665014603800

Stellantis' CEO doesn't think we have enough minerals to take EV growth to the levels being proposed:

^link to photos and Bloomberg article:

China’s Abandoned, Obsolete Electric Cars Are Piling Up in Cities​

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...n-automakers-rise-to-dominate-domestic-market

China’s Homegrown Automakers Rise to Dominate Domestic Market​

That growth is coming at the expense of legacy German, US and Japanese automakers including Volkswagen AG, Ford Motor Co. and Toyota Motor Corp. UBS AG analysts earlier this month warned western carmakers are set to lose a fifth of their global market share because of the rise of more affordable Chinese EVs.
1694533960155.png
BYD alone holds an 11% share of China’s auto market. Its strategy of selling a wide range of EVs at price points ranging from the budget Seagull and Dolphin to the top end of the market has helped fuel its rapid growth. Eleven of the 20 top-selling brands in China are now from local companies.

I get to have some great experiences as part of my job and one of those was traveling to Dubai multiple times.
That market has more Chinese EV companies than you can imagine - they're not in North America yet, but they are spreading their wings all over the place overseas.

Reactions: Alex Snyder