EVs are coming, but for how long?

Reactions: craigh
Yea it's interesting to watch and see things beginning to be reframed now. Under the whole climate greenhouse gas agenda, a lot of it operated under a scarcity mindset and we have to reduce this or that. But with the introduction of EV's, robotics, renewables, AI and computing requirements, that's all shifted opinion to a theory of abundance. Our energy requirements are drastically underestimated - and we'll need fossil fuels, renewables, and nuclear to satisfy those requirements. Not sure if anyone has seen the alarming ocean temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico - but they're now attributing the rise in temperatures from a reduction in carbon emissions from cruise ships. No joke! I'm just going to dismiss all of it as political fashion.

Reactions: Alex Snyder
Yesterday an EV Amazon van came into my driveway and I was able to get a look. It’s a really nice van with a lot of space to deliver packages. I spoke with the driver for a bit and as she showed me the van and she gave me her feedback. She said the van drove really nice and was easy to get around in. I asked her about the range from a charge and she shared with me that the van gets around 140 miles on a charge. The van has “died” on the side of the road several times because the battery was depleted. Amazon drivers are only allowed to charge at an Amazon distribution center. The drivers can’t charge at any public or private non Amazon charging locations which really surprised me. She also said that it’s pretty common for vans to run out of power and that they need a boost from a mobile service unit to get them back to an Amazon facility to charge. Not sure how this makes sense financially to any company running a delivery business but this is very early stage in my opinion. Like I’ve said before there just won’t be mass adoption of any sort of EV’s until they have a reasonable range of 300 miles plus like you get when you fill your tank with gas. More importantly if people or businesses can’t charge the vehicle quickly and conveniently as it is to pump gas then there just won’t be mass adoption.

Attachments

• IMG_4077.jpeg
    IMG_4077.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 4
I’m
Yesterday an EV Amazon van came into my driveway and I was able to get a look. It’s a really nice van with a lot of space to deliver packages. I spoke with the driver for a bit and as she showed me the van and she gave me her feedback. She said the van drove really nice and was easy to get around in. I asked her about the range from a charge and she shared with me that the van gets around 140 miles on a charge. The van has “died” on the side of the road several times because the battery was depleted. Amazon drivers are only allowed to charge at an Amazon distribution center. The drivers can’t charge at any public or private non Amazon charging locations which really surprised me. She also said that it’s pretty common for vans to run out of power and that they need a boost from a mobile service unit to get them back to an Amazon facility to charge. Not sure how this makes sense financially to any company running a delivery business but this is very early stage in my opinion. Like I’ve said before there just won’t be mass adoption of any sort of EV’s until they have a reasonable range of 300 miles plus like you get when you fill your tank with gas. More importantly if people or businesses can’t charge the vehicle quickly and conveniently as it is to pump gas then there just won’t be mass adoption.
Thanks for sharing this @Todd Caputo

Driving an Amazon EV Van has to be a pain overall. Can't imagine the pros out weigh the cons other than the bs environmental feel goodness.

@Todd Caputo do you think expanding the range to 300 miles will make a substantial difference on the sale / adoption of EV's?

Like I’ve said before there just won’t be mass adoption of any sort of EV’s until they have a reasonable range of 300 miles plus like you get when you fill your tank with gas. More importantly if people or businesses can’t charge the vehicle quickly and conveniently as it is to pump gas then there just won’t be mass adoption.

Surprisingly you'd think fleet vehicles like Amazon have their own infrastructure at their delivery centers. Completely agree, though. I don't understand how GM, Ford, and other large OEMs expect to be cranking out hundreds of thousands of EVs per quarter without reliable infrastructure. I was under the impression under the IRA a lot of that public money would be used for public infrastructure, but all it seems to be is talking points about spending billions here and billions there without any real action.

Did you know your tax dollars pay $11,833 per EV on the road? This money is primarily spent on incentivizing people to buy EVs, building new charging stations, maintaining current charging stations, and electricity costs.

If governments did not subsidize these costs, the average EV would cost $48,698 more to own for over a decade compared to traditional gas-powered vehicles. These numbers are coming from a recent Texas Public Policy Foundation study. A good summation can be found here.

20231026_130058.jpg

The big takeaway from the above graphic is that the average fuel economy for ICE vehicles is $5.96 vs $17.33 for EVs.

If you'd like to explore another version that compares it by model:

electric-vehicle-costs-vs-gas-car-costs.png

Reactions: Jeff Kershner

Auto execs are coming clean: EVs aren't working​

• At earnings this week, several auto execs pulled back on EV targets.
  • Dealers have been warning of slowing EV demand for months.
  • "This is a pretty brutal space," Mercedes-Benz's CFO said this week.

“Several C-Suite leaders at some of the biggest carmakers voiced fresh unease about the electric car market's growth as concerns over the viability of these vehicles put their multi-billion-dollar electrification strategies at risk.”

“"This is a pretty brutal space," CFO Harald Wilhelm said on an analyst call. "I can hardly imagine the current status quo is fully sustainable for everybody."

"People are finally seeing reality," Toyota Motor Chairman Akio Toyoda”

Full article

I think the biggest discussion in the EV space is still the Chinese manufacturers.
Sure, in our North American bubble they are barely an afterthought, but overseas they are growing rapidly and competition between the various brands is driving prices down as they rush into new markets.

Been going down this rabbit hole and it really makes you question the 5-10 year market trajectory if these guys can get into North America.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKvLM6MS6WI