• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Facebook Marketplace

Yeah pretty much. After all, they are a chat service.

Just strange though, they have multiple chat partners now...but almost no partners who are able to actually automate the posts for dealers. End result: manually create 50 ads a month or more, posted one at a time, loading images, writing content, etc. Meanwhile, there's a lot of companies that could make that process automated completely and provide reporting.

Reactions: Alexander Lau
Facebook is going the way of the do-do bird, just give it 18 months.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/27/17167094/mozilla-firefox-facebook-container-tracker-blocker

Their profit model relies almost entirely on selling your data to companies for marketing purposes.
As traffic goes down (which it is for the first time in years) and people leave Facebook entirely, they're losing the leverage they have.

I've gone the route of blocking facebook in my hosts file on each computer, which means that they cannot track me across the internet or remarket to me anymore. Saves me the trouble of figuring out the 12 steps required to delete my account.

Just strange though, they have multiple chat partners now...but almost no partners who are able to actually automate the posts for dealers. End result: manually create 50 ads a month or more, posted one at a time, loading images, writing content, etc. Meanwhile, there's a lot of companies that could make that process automated completely and provide reporting.

For us, Gubagoo is automatically posting our inventory to Marketplace - not sure if the other providers are doing that, or are just giving a manual post option.

• Useful
tumblr_m7ixmdxisg1qdmk7to2_250.gif

"We want to let advertisers know that we will be shutting down Partner Categories," Graham Mudd, a product marketing director, said in a statement. "This product enables third-party data providers to offer their targeting directly on Facebook. While this is common industry practice, we believe this step, winding down over the next six months, will help improve people's privacy on Facebook."
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...k-third-party-ad-data-in-the-name-of-privacy/

"The truth is, we could make a ton of money if we monetized our customer—if our customer was our product," he added. "We’ve elected not to do that."

Recode's Kara Swisher asked Cook: what would he do if he were Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg?

"I wouldn’t be in this situation," he said.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...stomers-are-not-its-products-unlike-facebook/

"We are encouraged that Mark Zuckerberg has promised to improve the privacy settings and make them more protective," Dixon wrote. "When Facebook takes stronger action in how it shares customer data, specifically strengthening its default privacy settings for third party apps, we’ll consider returning."
https://mashable.com/2018/03/22/mozilla-facebook-ads/#2IYMdO7PEZqF

Last edited:
I think this is a good move on their part. Won't impact us at all, but I did speak with a pretty prominent vendor in our space at NADA that was touting using Oracle Data with Facebook Partners...pretty unfortunate timing for them.

Pretty unfortunate for alot of businesses that rely on Facebook for a large % of their network.
Smart companies will adapt to wherever this traffic goes, but this mess is certainly not going away.

One of my favorite topics to discuss these days...will be very interesting to see how the landscape changes in the coming months, if it changes at all. Personally, I don't feel like much is going to happen. Zucks will go in front of Congress, the morons with microphones will ask a bunch of outlandish questions looking for a quick sound bite and life will resume as normal. The small print in the announcement that FB will end its partnerships with Axciom, Experian, Oracle, etc. is over the next six months. That's a lot of time to let this all calm down and go back to business as usual.

Interesting that someone at NADA was talking about using Oracle Data in FB like it was something new. To the best of my knowledge, Oracle has been a data partner with FB since they acquired AddThis and Datalogix.

The reason I think something is going to happen is that they've managed to piss off "the left".
"the left" control the bulk of the media and once you're not on their side, good luck.

To name a few key events that contribute:
  • The FTC is in talks about hundreds of millions in fines if they find what they think is there
  • Elon Musk removed all his corporate presences from Facebook
  • Playboy removed their presence
  • The View hosts said they will be deleting their Facebook accounts (believe me, they have an audience)
  • "the left" on Twitter exploded when they found out Facebook helps locate less than legal citizens for deportation / ICE
  • Mozilla created a plugin JUST to help combat Facebook, then pulled all their ads off Facebook
  • The founder of Whatsapp supported #deletefacebook (please note, Facebook owns Whatsapp)
  • Pep boys, Sonos and other national brands pulled their ads in a very public way
  • Celebrities like Cher, Will Ferrel, etc jumped ship in a very public way
I just don't see them bouncing back from this. Most companies (ie: Apple) bounce back from scandals by leveraging the media, but Facebook is running out of media companies who can help them out of this hole.