1. Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever gone dark on a marketing channel to see what happens?

Discussion in 'Websites, SEO, SEM, Display, Social, Marketing' started by Dan Sayer, Dec 3, 2018.

This forum sponsored by...
  1. Dan Sayer

Dan Sayer
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Dan
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Anderson Auto Group, LLC
    Twitter Handle:
    @whostheman_dan
    Would that be more like not wearing deodorant to see if you actually stink (I smell like a rose) or like a major league catcher risking it all and not wearing a cup just to feel the rush:rocks:?

Either way, I've gone dark on Classified before but got scared and re-upped too soon to measure (got a better price though LOL). I've also seen inadvertent black-outs on mailers and TV because the vendor screwed up the drop or spot but the store had a good weekend regardless because they THOUGHT it was running.

Anyway, have any of you gone dark on all SEM/Dig Ad to see what happened? Curious. I feel like @Steve Stauning@Steve Stauning would know someone who has...

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. This forum sponsored by...
  3. Alexander Lau

Alexander Lau
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Alex
    I've worked for a few dealers that have gone dark (a few months) to test just that. Actually, it proved to be beneficial, they killed a bunch of channels and didn't see a dent in their sales. Dealers don't want to waste money. I don't blame them. Especially with bad "SEO / Content Marketing," piss poor "Social Media Management (both organic and paid)," "Reputation Management," etc. A ton of false positives.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Zhendrix

Zhendrix
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Zach
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Shift Digital
    Twitter Handle:
    zhendrix
    John Clavadetscher from Cars.com wrote a great article a couple years ago that included recommendations for over-riding your cognitive biases by using empirical data to drive decisions. One of those suggestions being to go dark and test. I often reference and use this article. Thanks John, if you're still out there!

Is the Marlboro Man Giving You Health Advice?

5. john.quinn

john.quinn
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    John
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    JohnGQuinn
    Back in the day, we 100% cut-out TV, Ummmm... this was probably '04 or '05ish, more a big deal back then than it would be today. Gave that budget back to the owners, never noticed a thing, except that our PVRU dropped to $250ish a unit. At 700 units a month, it added-up quick.

6. ChrisR

ChrisR
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Christian
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Findlay Auto Group
    Testing this out now, not seeing any real value in a majority of 3rd party sites. We dialed back zip code/radius for leads on the others we are keeping. the 66% jump in Gurus' pricing was enough to get a cancellation letter (was underperforming at the previous rate as is).

Will see if anything needs to get re-activated after the new year.

• Like Like x 1