• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

I Bet Your Website Gets More Traffic Than AutoTrader & Cars.com...... Combined!

John V.

Boss
Jan 15, 2015
Awards
First Name
John
The attached report was just sent to me by my AutoTrader rep trying to show that AT gets more traffic than CG and cars.com. I am pretty sure there are some reps from the all the 3rd party listings on here that would like to chime in here..........BUT.............my one website gets more visits than any two out of these 3 combined.....I am sure there are other dealers on this forum who can best all 3.

Just passing along.........

Is this news to anyone? I was a little shocked to find out.......

Attachments

• traffic.jpg
    traffic.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 37
I've seen this happen (for years). :banghead: I used to do reports like that when I was in the yellow pages business. 'Look: YellowPages.com has far more traffic than SuperPages.com.' It's idiotic and an immediate loss in credibility. But, to unsuspecting marketers, it may look impressive. I ditched that approach 20 years ago.

It's not the amount of traffic, it's the quality of traffic, even if it's less traffic! With bot traffic, overseas traffic, etc..., the volume of traffic (IMO) means nothing.

There are far better analysts in this forum than me, but for anyone looking to keep all these 3rd party vendors in-check and call BS on your own terms, I'd recommend reaching out to @Micah Birkholz at Vistadash. It's a small company that has done some powerful things. Wouldn't hurt to have a convo - he's a legit dude.

Full disclosure: I used to work for Vistadash, but still believe it's a strong fit for the right situation.

I've seen this happen (for years). :banghead: I used to do reports like that when I was in the yellow pages business. 'Look: YellowPages.com has far more traffic than SuperPages.com.' It's idiotic and an immediate loss in credibility. But, to unsuspecting marketers, it may look impressive. I ditched that approach 20 years ago.

It's not the amount of traffic, it's the quality of traffic, even if it's less traffic! With bot traffic, overseas traffic, etc..., the volume of traffic (IMO) means nothing.

There are far better analysts in this forum than me, but for anyone looking to keep all these 3rd party vendors in-check and call BS on your own terms, I'd recommend reaching out to @Micah Birkholz at Vistadash. It's a small company that has done some powerful things. Wouldn't hurt to have a convo - he's a legit dude.

Full disclosure: I used to work for Vistadash, but still believe it's a strong fit for the right situation.

Thanks Shawn.
Familiar with VistaDash - very nice tool - i built a janky versions in GA using events because I'm cheap :) Looking at their VDP views vs. my site has always been an unfair comparison for them because your own website will always have more. I was just shocked that at how low of traffic they receive. Wondering if the ~~$3,000 I spend between the two is even worth it rather than increase my spend on FB Catalogs and Equity mailers.