• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Mystery Shop Time!

Jerry...in your chat mystery shop you said that some of the "chat experts" on Dealerrefresh should offer their opinions about the chat session. Well...here's the deal. In my opinion you are a chat expert, Jerry. In other words the phone guide works just the same in a chat session. Makes sense doesn't it? As a salesperson I was pretty good on the phone so when we started doing chat I just applied those skills and feel that has been successful.

Anyone else have other ideas? I'm definately not the expert.

I handle all of the incoming chat so feel free to give me a try Jerry. I'll take all the free info I can get!!!

Last edited:
WOW! All I can say is I am embarrassed by our mystery shop. At times you feel like we are doing ok, and then the mirror gets held up and well....we are about as ugly as a mud fence.

I find this extremely helpful and will be putting it up on the "big screen" tomorrow and go through it with all of my ISM's and upper level management.

I truly do appreciate all the help Jerry! I can assure you that this would be something I would pay for all day long. I would highly recommend this to anyone at all. I learned more about my processes today than I have in a really long time!

Thanks again and I will definitely be making some adjustments.

In other words the phone guide works just the same in a chat session. Makes sense doesn't it?

I was definitely getting that impression while conducting the mystery chat yesterday. It's fairly easy for the sales person to take control of the conversation if they ask the right questions and give the customer a legitimate reason to answer them.

WOW! All I can say is I am embarrassed by our mystery shop. At times you feel like we are doing ok, and then the mirror gets held up and well....we are about as ugly as a mud fence.

Marc, I don't think you should be embarrassed. I give you kudos for taking the initiative to find your weakness and fix it. I could mystery shop another 100 dealers over the next week and your store would probably be in the top 50%. You've stepped up to the plate because you want to be better. I am sure there have been a lot of people who have looked at this thread and said "that phone ninja guy is nuts! I am not having my store mystery shopped so I can look bad." It's not about looking bad, it's about improving! So I applaud you and the others for participating in this thread. If anyone in upper management gives you a hard time today, you have them call me and I'll set the record straight.

I have time for one mystery shop today. Who would like to be next?

Last edited:
I contacted Jerry via the miracle of email and asked him to shop one of our locations.

I am very impressed with the software used to prepare the results as well as the conversational tone and coaching approach used in providing feedback. As always he revealed areas where we could use improvement and I really appreciate his generous offer!

Regarding an appropriate fee for these services on an ad-hoc basis in the future, I would be very comfortable with something in the $50 - $100 range, off the top if my head.

Respectfully,

Edward Shaffer
IBDM - Park Place Dealerships
Dallas, TX

Just a quick tip that I am doing. I just reached out to my personal Facebook friends and asked them to mystery shop me. I have 11 people that volunteered, and in return I am sending each of them a $25 Starbuck's gift card.

I wanted a "non-car" person to give me their honest to goodness opinion of what they thought of our process. I have each person shopping a different way so none of my guys will be tipped off.

Just thought I would throw it out there...

Jerry...One thing I would inlude in your service is to record the salesperson's outgoing call to the customer that has submitted a lead. We focus a lot on the emails and those are important but that initial phone call can make or break a deal.

Brent,

I do try and include that. That's why I give my phone number on one of the leads. I then record the call when it comes in. I'd say half of the mystery shops nobody called me.

Thanks for the Mystery shop Jerry! To be fair on the used side, Pete is working from home after just getting out of surgery but I don't think it would have changed much LOL. He is very used to working from his blackberry without templates. Very good point as to trying to initiate a phone call, that's a definite failure.

This is kind of sad. One of the mystery shops I did, I am just now getting a response back. This is not from one of the dealers here, but from one of their competitors. Two days after the fact. I think is was a Jerry's competitor. Not too much to worry about with these guys.

Here it is: Competition

Operation mystery shop is officially closed down until after Christmas. Next week I'll resume operations and will probably commit to doing five more free ones. I'll start up again on Monday. First come first serve, get your name on the list.

Last edited: