• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

New Reynolds and Reynolds process to prevent third party data collection.

I think at this point the account lockouts are based on volume of data, as I have had User ID's changed to normal names, I have changed my IP address on the computers located within each dealership. I have been set up with administration access and even with all of that I am being locked out about every 5 days.

I think at this point the account lockouts are based on volume of data, as I have had User ID's changed to normal names, I have changed my IP address on the computers located within each dealership. I have been set up with administration access and even with all of that I am being locked out about every 5 days.

And I have had IDs locked before doing any polling at all. As I said the only thing I think is fairly certain is that we are dealing with a variety of triggers.

I just had a dealership I worked with to run files through Query Builder and the scheduler, as opposed to our standard dial up process, call me and tell me that the ID he was using had been locked. He called Reynolds and they actually told hum he was going to have to run all the queries manually since running overnight in the scheduler looked suspicious.

Seriously? Query Builder and the Report scheduler are Reynolds products, no third party knew the user ID and password or accessed the system in any way. This was completely within the bounds of what Reynolds has provided the dealer.

Wow! If I am hearing you correctly... Reynolds is now forcing the dealers themselves to abandon the ERA Access Report Scheduler? Even if they are running the download themselves? So, they might as well remove the Scheduler program from ERA Access altogether, right?

They should send out a press release on that one... see what the response is...

Well, this is perplexing... I was on a conference call with Reynolds support today with one of my dealership clients. The dealership is using the Scheduler to run nightly downloads, and then use those downloads for internal reports, as well as sending them to a particular third party via FTP process separately. We wanted to find out what the situation was exactly.

Reynolds said that they preferred dealers to run the downloads themselves, and not give access to the third parties.

We said ok, and the Reynolds support person assured us that it was still 'OK' for dealers to use the Scheduler process (i.e automated downloads), and that if Locked, Reynolds would unlock the Userid in question.

This seems like it is in contrast to some of the other things I am hearing regarding Reynolds support these days...

Super confusing! Can this be less clear?

- DealerIntelligence

Reactions: 2 people
Well, this is perplexing... I was on a conference call with Reynolds support today with one of my dealership clients. The dealership is using the Scheduler to run nightly downloads, and then use those downloads for internal reports, as well as sending them to a particular third party via FTP process separately. We wanted to find out what the situation was exactly.

Reynolds said that they preferred dealers to run the downloads themselves, and not give access to the third parties.

We said ok, and the Reynolds support person assured us that it was still 'OK' for dealers to use the Scheduler process (i.e automated downloads), and that if Locked, Reynolds would unlock the Userid in question.

This seems like it is in contrast to some of the other things I am hearing regarding Reynolds support these days...

Super confusing! Can this be less clear?

- DealerIntelligence

It doesn't really surprise me calling 4 different people at the Reynolds TAC has long been known to produce 6 different answers.

I would be completely shocked if ERA as a company line started purposely telling dealer they can't use the report scheduler, though it wouldn't be the first time ERA shocked me. I imagine my guy just got someone on the phone who did not have a clue.

The main thing I was getting at is that even in a situation where we tried to play by Reynolds rules:
-no third party was given access to the Reynolds system-
-used Reynolds provided query builder
-Used provided file export modes in QB
-used the Reynolds provided report scheduler

An ID was still locked. Then supports answer was to run them manually during the day??? I'm straying into frustration again, but honestly even when we try to play within Reynolds' rules (the ridiculiousness of which I will leave completely alone) locks are generated. Even UCS has the ability for a dealer to export data from some report via a scheduler.

/vent off

Reactions: 1 person
Jarky,

You may not be wrong here... I was chatting with a Reynolds rep, and they mentioned that while Dealers could still 'download' their own data, and then send it to a third party vendor... Reynolds was essentially trying to eliminate 'automated downloading' for everyone (i.e. dealers, third party vendors etc). They mentioned that Reynolds has no way of telling if the automated download is dealer based or vendor based, so they want to clamp down on all of it... I assume this would apply to the scheduler, so my question is, why doesn't Reynolds just get rid of the scheduler program altogether?

It's going to get a bit bumpy if dealers can't even run scheduled downloads from their own system... Ouch for the dealers!

-DealerIntelligence

For anyone interested I think Reynolds may have started a larger scale roll out of this. We have seen stready increases in our lock counts all week with overall larger increases then we have seen in the past. At this point I am still not seeing a large percentage of dealers affected, but the increases this week do seem to indicate a larger deployment.