• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
Hi guys...
I'm actually having a pretty big problem, and if I could get any help it would be fantastic. Bounce rate in our GA account for a store is insanely low, which is generally the result of multiple analytics ID's running. Of course, I run tag assist and see 4 analytics accounts, and 6 tag manager containers. HOW CAN I IDENTIFY these folks? How can I get them off the damn site?

I've never ever ever seen analytics accounts be so damn convoluted. And we have small sites. I can't imagine what you guys with huge locations do!

Hi guys...
I'm actually having a pretty big problem, and if I could get any help it would be fantastic. Bounce rate in our GA account for a store is insanely low, which is generally the result of multiple analytics ID's running. Of course, I run tag assist and see 4 analytics accounts, and 6 tag manager containers. HOW CAN I IDENTIFY these folks? How can I get them off the damn site?

I've never ever ever seen analytics accounts be so damn convoluted. And we have small sites. I can't imagine what you guys with huge locations do!

Gerry, I'm punching out to go shark fishing right now, but I'll be in the office first thing tomorrow AM. I'll be happy to take a look at what you have and help as much as I can. Add [email protected] as a user to your GA at the Account level, preferably for all the Accounts you have access to, and I'll see what's up. We can do the join.me thing so you can see what's up as well.

Hi guys...

I've never seen multiple analytics scripts on a website cause the bounce rate to be inaccurate. Most likely there is some code on the website or in one of the tag managers that is firing an event which causes Analytics to not count it as a bounce. A lot of vendors will implement this to game the system and make their bounce rate look good because car dealers naively put a lot of value on it.

Unfortunately is no way to easily identify who has access to each unknown UA or GTM code though. You would either have to email all of your vendors and ask them if any of the UA/GTM account numbers belong to them...or just delete the ones that aren't yours and wait until someone complains or something breaks.

Then going forward, never allow a vendor to place new analytics or google tag manager code on your websites. Instead give them access to your analytics at a special vendors view (as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts) and give them non-publish access to your google tag manager container if needed.

@GerryFoster, I would also check in GA in the Real Time > Events section. The vendor could be passing a mouse scroll event or something like that to skew bounce ratios. But, Real Time events will give you good place to start on your hunt! Once you identify the event in question, crack open your chrome dev tools > network. Filter the results by one of the GA ID (ex: UA-123456789) that you found in Tag Assistant and check off preserve log at the top. Now start surfing your site. Now the only thing that will show in Dev Tools in the Network section is the events being fired with that GA ID number. Click on the link in Dev Tools and you'll see the entire URL.
upload_2018-10-9_17-5-22.png
Look for the event name that looked suspicious to you from your GA Account > Real Time > Events and you can prob find the culprit thats causing you the issue.

• Useful
Reactions: GerryFoster
@GerryFoster you sound as if your GA accounts are completely whacked, with access provided to many. Although you'll lose historical data, I'd start over.
Really @reverson!? He has no clue who has access on the Account and probably Property level. Multiple codes on a single site!? @GerryFoster if you cannot assess / differentiate who has access to them, I'd kill them and start over. Legacy agency work can sit and rot, it's quite common actually. Who knows what the fuck they're doing with your performance data if you're no longer a client of theirs.

Last edited:
Really @reverson!? He has no clue who has access on the Account and probably Property level. Multiple codes on a single site!? @GerryFoster if you cannot assess / differentiate who has access to them, I'd kill them and start over. Legacy agency work can sit and rot, it's quite common actually.
Historical data is extremely valuable so I would never suggest wiping and starting over from scratch.

Instead, do as I recommended earlier - simply remove the analytics and GTM's you do not have access to, then clean up the goals and views for the accounts you do have admin access to. If for some reason you don't or absolutely can't get admin access at the account level, then I would recommend putting a new analytics tag on the website but still keep the old one so you have access to run historical comparisons, trends, etc. That can be invaluable in demonstrating how successful your campaigns have been year over year.

Historical data is extremely valuable so I would never suggest wiping and starting over from scratch.

Instead, do as I recommended earlier - simply remove the analytics and GTM's you do not have access to, then clean up the goals and views for the accounts you do have admin access to. If for some reason you don't or absolutely can't get admin access at the account level, then I would recommend putting a new analytics tag on the website but still keep the old one so you have access to run historical comparisons, trends, etc. That can be invaluable in demonstrating how successful your campaigns have been year over year.
That depends on a whole lot. How much historical data do you have and is it worth the trouble? Although I would agree attempting to understand who has access to your account(s) is probably the best method, I wouldn't do it if it's too much trouble. Just keep in mind you can always start over.