• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

I'm looking forward to seeing NFC being developed further. I'd also like to see it done with no-app required. Estimotes and iBeacons have made waves in this area; and are very developer friendly.

The quick saturation of QR codes (in spite of their lack of use) has been a testament to the fact that customers want information digitally, on-demand, and "to-go".

However, QR codes are antiquated. No smart-phone has EVER come equipped with a native QR code reader. AND, QR code inquiries aren't a reciprocal exchange; ie: the customer gets information, but the dealer doesn't get theirs. Dealers are better off usings short URL's to divert to convertible landing pages.

Last edited:
Are QR codes making a comeback? I would have to say "maybe," and here is why..

Not sure how I worked in the topic of QR codes into today's RefreshFriday, but I swear they're coming back.

As I mentioned on the show today, over the last week or so I have been presented a QR code at least 10 different times, and took action on all. One could say I only did it out of curiosity and I'm sure there's some truth to that, but I also did it because there was an explanation behind the CTA - scan to leave a review, scan to register your product, scan for a list of accessories to match your purchase, etc.

Maybe they were before their time? Maybe I'm just crazy...

Have you scanned a QR code lately?

Dead as a door knob. I used to use them on vehicle window stickers (before their popularity) at a Top 50 dealer group and they had zero effect. Now, maybe that's the demographic (Greater Pittsburgh), but I doubt it. I just don't think people take the time to load a QR Code reader app (whether default to Android or Apple or 3rd party) to scan. Granted, that was a while back, but I just don't think they are effective. Please prove me wrong. :)

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

However, QR codes are antiquated. No smart-phone has EVER come equipped with a native QR code reader. AND, QR code inquiries aren't a reciprocal exchange; ie: the customer gets information, but the dealer doesn't get theirs. Dealers are better off usings short URL's to divert to convertible landing pages.

Maybe so, but I have seen Samsung's running Android come with default QR Code apps. The QR Codes we used (that I created) did in fact collect information from a landing page (the QR Code pushed the user to a form). I used a 3rd party system to create the link, the info collected was fed into our CRM, so I will disagree with you there. That was circa 2008.

Last edited:
Are QR codes making a comeback? I would have to say "maybe," and here is why..

Not sure how I worked in the topic of QR codes into today's RefreshFriday, but I swear they're coming back.

As I mentioned on the show today, over the last week or so I have been presented a QR code at least 10 different times, and took action on all. One could say I only did it out of curiosity and I'm sure there's some truth to that, but I also did it because there was an explanation behind the CTA - scan to leave a review, scan to register your product, scan for a list of accessories to match your purchase, etc.

Maybe they were before their time? Maybe I'm just crazy...

Have you scanned a QR code lately?
No way are they coming back. I tried using them years ago in ads and if not downloaded, consumers didn’t use them.

Reactions: Alexander Lau
You never know! Maybe they will change the name to Tag but it's basically the same. Wait, didn't Microsoft own the rights to *TAG?

I was right!! It was MS that owned Tag. They shut it down after only 3 years - https://mashable.com/2013/08/19/microsoft-tag-shuts-down/#qyj8xZTXGmqn
In theory, any application could create a "tag" with a corresponding reader and have it trigger a result. It would be interesting to see more standards in automotive and have it created. Whether that be on window stickers or what have you. Yet, it would still create the need for the public to download that automotive app in order to make it work, same conundrum.

Absolutely dead in the car biz
Why you wouldn’t set up a text number for example on a window decal. Text in stock, receive details
Dealer gets cell phone
QR doesn’t do that
QR relies on an app typically (yes I know, few if any know that it’s been built into camera in newer OS)
QR relies on a user knowing what the heck that weird square really is
And so on...

Reactions: Steve Stauning
10 years later and dare I say, QR codes are making a comeback!

Restaurants across the US are ditching physical menus for online menus and subsequently training the public for us on how to use their phone's camera to scan the restaurant menu's QR code.

Now that a higher percentage of Americans know how to scan a QR code thanks to COVID, could there be a use case in the dealership where they make sense?

A QR code to easily leave an online review seems like just one of the possibilities.

10 years later and dare I say, QR codes are making a comeback!

Restaurants across the US are ditching physical menus for online menus and subsequently training the public for us on how to use their phone's camera to scan the restaurant menu's QR code.

Now that a higher percentage of Americans know how to scan a QR code thanks to COVID, could there be a use case in the dealership where they make sense?

A QR code to easily leave an online review seems like just one of the possibilities.

So funny you bumped this CLASSIC thread. I was thinking the exact same thing the other day - QR codes are having a resurgence. I see them being utilized more and more. I like the menu idea for restaurants.

...each table should have it's own designated QR code that not only lands you on the menu but an interactive menu where you can place your order. With each table having it's own QR, the server would know exactly who placed the order. Increased efficiency, more accuracy, and less back-n-forth between the server, table and kitchen. Add mobile checkout to the process while you're at it. (y)