• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

The WOW Factor at your dealership

Craig certainly hit the nail on the head with the right WOW factors. I can tell you from experience that a value-added proposition does not guarantee you anything...and in most cases it gets you the customer you don't want.

In Hampton Roads, VA value-added propositions were everywhere. Free oil changes, state inspections, tires, engines guaranteed, manicures, hair salons, and I can keep going right down to pole dances at some of the independents. It was insanity. I was selling cars in the middle of the "value proposition wars" and it simply made customers expect the dealer to give up all profit and all sorts of other freebies. It just invited it. It turned normal customers into mooches and brought the freebie-crazed folks out of the woodwork in the service department (the people you can't upsell). It eventually led to a major struggle in CSI, some PVR challenges that led to making all the profit in F&I (think of the chargebacks) and consistently large expenses.

There are some good things to be said about a bad economy. One is that it forces people to look at what works. It forces people to stop being lazy. And it forced some dealers to dump their value-added programs. Getting rid of them actually did more good than anyone imagined!

However, with the economy having a perceived stability right now, the first thing that is coming back is laziness. With laziness, excuses. Excuses come with requests to spend more money so more excuses can be given to keep the laziness going strong. A value-added proposition is something that helps to keep the laziness rolling.

Get back to what Craig was saying. Do that consistently and you will have no need for a value-added WOW program.

Spot on Alex....Your 2nd paragraph made me cringe and think back to a few years ago when shit was rough. It was like every customer online or who walked through the door was a moocher and could give a rats ass about me or my store.

Where I'm at now we definitely still have some of those same value added propositions but you have to at a Luxury store.

This sounds so simple but one of the most overheard comments I hear around here is how upbeat and friendly the entire staff is (sales, service, guest services, valets). Always have a smile on our faces, always having fun, always treating the customer like a guest in our home. It really goes a long way.

I've always been partial to big inflatable Green Gorillas. :D

a_25_FT_GREEN_GORILLA_WITH_CAR__SHORTS_AND_BANNER.jpg

I need those boxers in purple.

I am happy that the thread inspired another article. Can I get a article of clothing ? Like a dealer refresh T-Shirt ? That would be a wow !

In all seriousness, it is good to see some feedback. I know we have other dealers out there.

I'm just looking for ideas.

We have a few Honda dealers in our area that play the value added proposition game.Lifetime enigine warranty via Valvoline, Free Car Wash, $9.95 Oil Changes, Free Towing for life etc... You have to be aware of your competitors and know how to respond....

I wanted to bump this thread from June 2010. Has any one created a new WOW factor at your dealership?

What I do know is that sales people who grasp social media-smart phones etc.. have an opportunity to wow customers like never before. From sending photos of an accual in stock vehicle or a quick walk around video to free selfless promotion on social media.

Reactions: 1 person
Oh wait - you can actually in the CarFax Car Fox...

CARFAX KICKS OFF CONTEST FOR INFLATABLE CAR FOX

CENTREVILLE, Va. (March 20, 2012) – Carfax is giving Carfax Advantage Dealers a chance to win
an inflatable Car Fox for their dealership. The contest is being held exclusively through the Carfax for
Dealers Facebook page and starts Mar. 20 at 8am EDT. All entries must be received by Mar. 26 at 8pm
EDT.

Any employee at a Carfax Advantage dealership can enter to win the 8’ inflatable Car Fox. Contest
entry is simple - provide your name, dealership name and business email address through the Carfax for
Dealers Facebook page. One winner will be drawn at the end of the contest.

For more information, visit www.facebook.com/carfaxfordealers.