• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What in the Heck is Going On With my Dealer.com sites in Google SRP's?????

Hi all,

My name is Dan Durick, I’m the Senior Manager of SEO at Dealer.com.

Bob has already posted a number of details, so I won’t repeat that, but I do want to share that we have had success resolving the issue by prompting Google to recrawl sites via Search Console. In our experience this corrects the issue quite quickly.

That said, we’re still looking at strategies to help prevent it from occurring at all.

Happy to answer any questions.

Hi all,

Bob has already posted a number of details, so I won’t repeat that, but I do want to share that we have had success resolving the issue by prompting Google to recrawl sites via Search Console. In our experience this corrects the issue quite quickly.

That said, we’re still looking at strategies to help prevent it from occurring at all.

I suppose many of us are curious as to the root of the problem. What caused it? I asked Bob a question that he hadn't answered. Thanks!

• Useful
Reactions: craigh
Hi all,

Isn’t that exactly what I recommended to Rick a week ago when support still had no idea how to assist him? Lol

What happens if you manually resubmit those pages to Google Search Console (formerly known as webmaster tools)? That will cause Google to re-crawl the pages and most likely resolve your issue because the actual title tags on your site are correct now.

I suppose many of us are curious as to the root of the problem. What caused it? I asked Bob a question that he hadn't answered. Thanks!

Hi Alexander,

Right now the best we can do with cause is some "educated speculation". As Bob mentioned, and you probably already know, Google isn't as forthcoming on the SEO side of the house.

We do know that we have not served Google any incorrect data, so given that and the message in Search Console, we're implementing self-pointing canonicals on pages that are not canonicaling elsewhere. We're still investigating, and have engaged Google.

If we learn anything new we'll make sure to share here.

Dan

Isn’t that exactly what I recommended to Rick a week ago when support still had no idea how to assist him? Lol
Yes, it's a good idea (especially in this case, those that have been negatively affected by DDC) to resubmit. However, the question is what caused it...? It's not about the blame game, it's about fixing the issue as fast as possible. However, Google doesn't seem to be the culprit, if DDC is pushing the markup outward.

As for GSC, dealers and / or agencies should be in there anyway, weekly (at the very least) checking to see what's going on with what has been indexed, etc. Don't trust Google to do it for you, even if you have it at a 'set it and forget it' in some instances. Anyone that is pushing out fresh content, I'd ping them as much as possible. Sitemaps, blogs, vlogs, etc. and track what is going on with search appearance and structured data. You can hold your SEO provider accountable. A lot of times, they skip the basics.

FHfRNz3.jpg

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: craigh
Hi all,

So @Dan Durick - how is this working out? From what I'm hearing those that tried the recrawl are not seeing permanent results. And is this resolved yet or what dude???