• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

what is the best wordpress plugin?

@Yago

We've been in business since 2003 and have 3 OEMs as clients. The VW piece alone has our platform in use by 644 dealers,(knowingly or not) If we were to count the agencies who white label or dealerships who use some component of our platform, whether it be our dynamic retargeting platform, analytics stack or DSP services the # would go well north of whats quoted. If you'd like Yago, I am open to giving you a look behind the curtain-

Understood, I thought you meant 800 websites not other products. No offense intended but I pride myself on knowing the landscape, technologies, who is doing what, and when you mentioned 800 websites (and I assumed wrong) I was taking by surprise that you were not in my internal reports.

A few months late to the thread :), but if you followed @Rdpatrick's LMGTFY link you would have found CarDealerPress all over page one of that search. We have had an inventory integration for WordPress since 2007. Our current plugin can be used on any theme and hosting as long as they don't suck e.g. themeforest themes.

I don't want to get too salesy, but wanted to answer to the original question. And for the record: CarDealerPress is the best WordPress inventory plugin.

My favorite core WordPress plugins:
Gravity Forms
WordPress SEO by Yoast
Scripts n Styles

Outside of those it is just a matter of what functionality you want.

A few months late to the thread :), but if you followed @Rdpatrick's LMGTFY link you would have found CarDealerPress all over page one of that search.
2/10 are CarDealerPress and the first 2 results are not. "all over" is a bit of a stretch - try using a less biased browser or AdWords Preview Tool to google this.

We have had an inventory integration for WordPress since 2007. Our current plugin can be used on any theme and hosting as long as they don't suck e.g. themeforest themes.
ThemeForest themes suck? False. WordPress sucks and ThemeForest pushes the boundaries further so that the platform can be used for things besides simple pages. They offer complex homepages, better custom post type integration, multiple content areas, better media integration, more flexible layouts and much more.
I've been in the WordPress world since 2004 when they launched the 1.2 beta with custom fields - the first step to being more than a blogging platform. ThemeForest community is one of the best things to happen to the flexibility of the platform.

It's very possible that their added flexibility and, at times, hacky solutions to Wordpress problems make your plugin not work, but it smells more like you just don't like that Themeforest also ranks on page 1 for searches relating to "car dealer wordpress".
car dealer Templates & Themes

I don't want to get too salesy, but wanted to answer to the original question. And for the record: CarDealerPress is the best WordPress inventory plugin.
I'm not sure what to think. Both you and DealerX said your platforms are the best, bar none.
There can't be two #1 solutions.

My favorite core WordPress plugins:
Gravity Forms
WordPress SEO by Yoast
Scripts n Styles

I don't recommend Scripts n Styles in any way.
Inline code is just bad practice and they should all be contained to remote/local files and loaded in properly.
Last time I checked that plugin it only supported dumping raw data between <script> and <style> tags.

Gravity Forms is good.
Contact Form 7, Ninja Forms and various other are also great form tools - all depends on the usage.
I like the extensibility of Contact Form 7 - easy to setup a leads tracker behind it.

Not to be that guy, but coming out and slamming everything and saying you're the best is inviting friendly criticism.

LOL,

Totally appreciate the friendly criticism. I should have prefaced the themeforest comment with "in my opinion". The reason that is my opinion is most (not all) of the themes that we have come across from Themeforest don't follow WordPress "best practices". 8 out of 10 problem themes that I have come across over the years, whether it be here at DealerTrend or at a WordCamp or meetup group has come from themeforest. This may be coincidence, but obviously my experience has tainted my opinion. A lot of the themes are very heavy with functionality which could be broken out into plugins. Then there is the over use of shortcodes and the fact that if you turn on debug mode on themes from themeforest you can tell that the developer probably never did.

Don't get me wrong, themeforest has helped push WordPress forward on what is possible very much like "black hat" digital marketing pushes the boundaries of what becomes acceptable "white hat". This is a great thing for the internet in general. I have tried and tested hundreds of themes over the years and tend to avoid anything that causes pain. With a good theme or framework as a starting point and a few good plugins, WordPress is a very powerful online marketing tool.

but coming out and slamming everything
I slammed themeforest so "everything" might be a bit of a stretch.

but it smells more like you just don't like that Themeforest also ranks on page 1 for searches relating to "car dealer wordpress"
I'll take this one as a pot stirrer and am not interested in playing that game.

By the way, I'll take 20% of page one for that search all day long.

I'm not sure what to think. Both you and DealerX said your platforms are the best, bar none.
There can't be two #1 solutions.

From what it sounds like, the DealerX platform is WordPress modified to have "controlled" functionality (@Jeffrey Tognetti please correct me if this isn't right) which will be the #1 solution for some. Ours is the inventory plugin only, which allows the user to do what they want with WordPress. This will be the #1 solution for others. We want dealers to have full control and the ability to work with their local web providers and/or marketing companies which will have their own ideas and experiences. For this reason we believe that getting out of the way and being available for consultation is the best solution. As is with most things, they are both #1 for the right user.

I'm on Wordpress and have a modded version of DealerTrend's inventory plug-in. I love it. With the help of the DealerTrend plug-in and the Wordpress platform I saw these results:

Final month with previous vendor website (DealerFire):
8,009 organic visitors

Sept 2014 with DealerTrend/Wordpress:
19,909 organic visitors

Reactions: 1 person