• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What ways could dealers be more transparent, IDEAS anyone?

Craigh, Alex and Ed. Would you mind showing me your bank accounts? I mean I am NOT showing you mine. But I AM on the other the other side of the argument. But in effect that is what you are asking the dealers to to. Come on show us the accounts....................

Craigh, Alex and Ed. Would you mind showing me your bank accounts? I mean I am NOT showing you mine. But I AM on the other the other side of the argument. But in effect that is what you are asking the dealers to to. Come on show us the accounts....................

I think you're misunderstanding my take on the subject entirely.

I think you're misunderstanding my take on the subject entirely.
No i get it. The consumer will feel more comfortable with the dealer. Isn't it better to be an open book? etc. Here is where the problem lies. I have been employed at the biggest auto retail sales company in the US. Consequently, they are the biggest braggarts of "transparency" I know for certain that they have the most to hide and are taking every step necessary to do so.

No i get it. The consumer will feel more comfortable with the dealer. Isn't it better to be an open book? etc. Here is where the problem lies. I have been employed at the biggest auto retail sales company in the US. Consequently, they are the biggest braggarts of "transparency" I know for certain that they have the most to hide and are taking every step necessary to do so.

So when AutoNation says:
Our customers are presented with the “AutoNation Pledge,” which provides clear disclosure relating to the finance and insurance sales process, and with a customer-friendly finance and insurance menu, which is designed to ensure that we offer our customers the complete range of finance, insurance, protection, and other aftermarket products in a transparent manner.
Customers come to us for financing and insurance coverage because we make the purchase process transparent and easy
Our goal is to hire the best people, train them in our own facilities, use best practices across all our dealerships, and make our interactions with customers simpler and more transparent.

Are you saying they're being dishonest?
You don't think this is the best policy?

I'm trying to get a read on your personal stance here.

So when AutoNation says:

Are you saying they're being dishonest?
You don't think this is the best policy?

I'm trying to get a read on your personal stance here.
No what I am saying is that no matter how transparent dealers become when it comes to profit the customer will not believe us anyhow. And for good reason. It really is none of their business how much profit is made. If they received good service most customers do not care.
Transparency should be used as far as fees, business practices, policies etc. However I feel that delving into a dealers profit margins is going way over the top.
Go into a furniture store.....look at a living room suit........$8976.54 is the price. Offer them $7500 ! You will be laughed out of the store. And they have OVER 100% mark up.

No what I am saying is that no matter how transparent dealers become when it comes to profit the customer will not believe us anyhow. And for good reason. It really is none of their business how much profit is made. If they received good service most customers do not care.
Transparency should be used as far as fees, business practices, policies etc. However I feel that delving into a dealers profit margins is going way over the top.
Go into a furniture store.....look at a living room suit........$8976.54 is the price. Offer them $7500 ! You will be laughed out of the store. And they have OVER 100% mark up.
And yes They are dishonest. That is one reason I am at the family owned/operated single point store that I have been at for the better part of 25 years