• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Who's gonna purchase a .dealer domain? Post your Questions and Opinions!!

Hey @martinoermando !

Thanks for the comment, I would say if a business loves their URL and is happy with the brand recall they get out of it, perfect! As to length, it kind of goes both ways on either side of the “dot” some folks find it challenging to find a short URL to the left of the dot that explains their business and branding at the moment because most of the “good” .COMs and others have been snagged years ago - .Dealer domains (for the moment) has unlimited amounts of short URLs to the left... EG LA.dealer or NJ.dealer...or CAR.dealer USEDCAR.dealer

All comes down to your individual marketing/advertising strategy.

We are in the Sunrise phase right now and we are seeing a ton of trademarked brands signing up - General availability starts June 1st so folks will be able to sign up for ANY name that is available soon!

No offense, but why? I've seen this game in other industries; verticals.

To me, it's fairly pointless... if your .com, .net, .us, .biz, .f*ckall doesn't get the point across with a great user experience and proper content you're doing it wrong. A .dealer domain ain't really gonna' do a ton for you. Googlebot, etc. ain't gonna' give a rat's @ss about .dealer. It's just another ploy to make more money and usually with these "new" TLDS an expensive exercise.

Last edited:
@Alexander Lau - Agreed, on a couple things.

Good content and a great UI are key to an a and awesome retail experience.

Google treats any gTLD the same - Official language from them - though in our experience NEW gTLDS get crawled quicker, might be directional, but we have seen it many many times.

And maybe agree on the last thing... “It’s a ploy to make money” - I guess you could call any business a “ploy” to make money, it’s how we live in the united states as entrepreneurs. However, I know people can really use this gTLD to their advantage in branding or claiming a stake in model-specific or Geo-specific uses, we didn’t cook up a plan to sell people useless things, you don’t know me, but it’s not how I operate.

It comes down to dealer choice on how they use their specific branding in conjunction with a great URL to MAYBE stand out more from their competitors. But your point is taken, you still have to put in the work on the site and overall experience. I have never said otherwise.

.auto and .car(s) seem to flow better with most brand names because the words auto or cars are often already part of the dealership's name.

For example - NJState.auto vs NJStateAuto.dealer? NJState.auto wins everyday.

Seems like there's limited appeal for dealers to make the switch, especially with a long TLD like .dealer.
And to that point, how many dealers actually bought .auto and .cars for their usage? None of the ones that I know and rightly so.

Nah... I'd never, ever suggest .dealer for any of the tops I consult for currently or did before this wuflu charade.

Reactions: Patrick O
@orkidehouston ANYone!! That's one of the great aspects!!!!

Sample of brands that have registered (outside of auto):
- JPMorgan Chase
- Apple
- BEYONCE!
- Rolex
- 3M
- Bosch
- Amazon

But basically any company with an Authorized Retail network...has a DEALER network. You couple that with a geo like NYChonda.dealer you have something fairly memorable and authoritative.

There are for sure some other niche-verticals like gaming or cannabis we have a bunch of interest from E.G. POKER.dealer, CARD.dealer, Weed.dealer CBD.dealer!

Tell your friend we should talk :)

@Andy MacLeay This strategy talk, you're suggesting dealership groups and tops do what exactly? Move all of their current content on to a new domain name (killing their current .com sites) <and / or> copy that content over with sites coexisting <or> create brand new content (within a non-coopable secondary website) or what? Google supposedly uses domain age to differentiate between legitimate and illegitimate websites. So, does a dealer wait a while (how long = subjective) for their content to be taken seriously by searchbots? The logic, legitimate sites are paid for over years. Someone who is actually posting quality content will want to protect their brand by registering their domain for several years (that could get pricey with .dealer), especially for smaller dealerships. As for part of that, don't get the forum started on the plethora of sites with duplicate content out there, specifically DDC installs.

@Alexander Lau I'll steer clear of website providers content strategies, in automotive, I've seen it all from blackhat to lazy to perfectly acceptable and by the book...and sometimes Google catches the bad stuff... sometimes they reward it, anyone that tells you they have the 100% key to SEO content and knows EXACTLY what google rewards/penalizes...hasn't been doing it long enough.

I do think businesses rebrand frequently...good time to change up that URL to something you've always wanted and will work well with your digital/traditional marketing.

I think there are a couple very obvious good uses quickly:

- Buy/Sells, new site with very little domain authority - or a redirect if you want to keep the URL live, obviously have to do this with care.
- Building your own geo specific lead gen site, would work great in mid-sized groups E.G. Lifted.dealer, for off-road or bro-dozers, or MINIVAN.dealer for someone trying to target families specifically.
- I'm just coming up with these off the top of my head as I do a poor job typing between other work stuff...

I think while the cost is not nothing, it pales in comparison to a monthly 3rd party lead gen bill, can you offset that with more homegrown in-bound leads? ...it basically comes down to: can you use this new real estate as a force multiplier for your marketing and business strategies? If not, cool...nobody is forcing these down your throat. If you can use the .Dealer Domains to do something cool, we're here to help and consult you on that.

Hey everyone!

Heads up here. Monday at 12:00PM EST (16:00UTC) will be the official first day ANYbody can purchase a .DEALER Domain.

Couple things:

MSRP is $2500/yr - but that is only based on WHERE you buy the name from.

At the registrars Name.com and Gandi.net you will find the lowest prices closer to $2K/yr other registrar prices vary based on their own pricing. Also watch the renewal fees - some registrars get ya there (ahem, godaddy)

There’s are a ton of great names available still - SUV, VAN, TRUCK, USA, NYC, LA....etc so if you have a use case. This is a killer opportunity.

Now all of those names and pretty much anything else you can think of is available and for sale today so nothing is guaranteed...but that is under Early Access Pricing, so obviously more, but just until Monday. Names go quick, so best of luck, if it is of interest to you and your organization.

I know @Alexander Lau is lined up already outside the store. :lol:

Reactions: Alex Snyder