• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Who's gonna purchase a .dealer domain? Post your Questions and Opinions!!

Sure, sorry if that sounded snippy, did NOT intend it to! :) Just conversation around the subject.

- Sharing is easier
- It aligns with customer expectations, lets them know exactly what sort of business you are
- Some evidence it allows for better crawling as you add pages

Again, is changing to a short and authoritative URL best for all circumstances maybe not, at the very least is it good for those who may not have gotten the URL they desired in the past or want to stake a claim as the authority in whatever geo or vertical they are trying to accomplish...in that case I think there is a good argument for it!

[QUOTE="Andy MacLeay, post: 57414, ..stake a claim as the authority in whatever geo or vertical they are trying to accomplish...in that case I think there is a good argument for it!
[/QUOTE]

Andy, Google diminished the importance of URLs years ago. You are not going to stake a claim on a Geo or anything else from a URL.

Respectfully, not sure I agree.
E.g. Fake dealer in SoCal
tomsusedcars.com (hypothetical but realistic URL) vs LAcar.dealer or LA.dealer

LACar.dealer or the latter - in an advertisement, or conversation feels and sounds much more authoritative.
And again - when a customer Googles "LA Car Dealer," Tom's Used Cars is nowhere to be found.

Don't get me wrong, I might have considered buying some if the price wasn't so astronomically high at $2,500 /yr.

Reactions: Jeff Glackin
I think you’d easily be able to get that brand juice to your .Dealer Domain...

As for price. That’s part of the double edge sword that is ICANN and the registry/registrar relationship - how do you prevent TONS of domain squatting, because these actually get sold through GODADDY or any number of registrars and unless you restrict it...you kind of have to let everyone buy what they want for the most part. Hence the land rush that happens when you launch a new TLD. Honestly, we are hoping people will be able to grab a two maybe one letter domain 6-12 months down the road. Which is just not feasible with super low prices.

HOWEVER, @reverson if there is a URL you want to try for a year, hit me up! Maybe we can do a case study and post back to the forum.

@Bruce Hartz would love a chance to chat with you about this!

If we are talking URLs one that can be used in marketing and primary branding that is short, shareable and easy to remember seems like good value - of course you can still redirect .COM .Net, etc. And some good SEO should alleviate a bunch of the confusion you are worried about. But it definitely is different, I’d argue being different can be an advantage in a sea of sameness. Thanks for participating in the conversation!