• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

A New Spin on the AutoTrader Buy-a-Thon

Another "Uncle Joe" 1st:

used buick enclave - Google Search

I've cracked into Google's store, got all the bugs out, pointed it to my adwords account and... now I wait for Google to catch up! :) Imagine how strong a Google Adwords would be with a Vehicle pic.

See pic to product example: Jeep Wrangler Seat Covers
jeep%20wrangler%20seat%20cover%20-%20Google%20Search%20-%20Google%20Chrome%202172011%20124127%20PM.jpg

Vendors, once the beast (Google) lowers its sights on our vertical, look out. Mega game changer is an understatement (read this post). I've been in discussions with a VP of a Google Products Technology vendor (edgenet.com). I wanted her to explore our space, but, their biz model wont work here. Someone hook me up with an exec. over at "Google Products". I need to bend their ear for 30 mins and open up our door.

Also... after I worked my inventory into Google's store, I've requested to be enrolled in Google's new Local Merchant beta. I am sure Google won't know what to do with my application, Google's is not aiming for our space (yet), so my request will be overlooked.

It's just another open project on my desk and remember! "you heard it here DR 1st!!!

Last edited:
More Example's of Google "leveraging it's power" !

Google is now offering Hotel Reservations from it's Google Places Pages:
Atlanta Marriott Marquis

What does that mean to us?
It's common knowledge that our industry is several years behind very progressive industries like ecommerce, travel, health, etc... Google is pouring time and money into taking a cut of the traffic inside these progressive industries. It only makes business sense that the lessons learned will trickle down into our arena.

Dealers alone are spending roughly $300-$500 in ad costs PVR and we're selling 15million units annually... and thats just for NEW sales. Used is a whole 'nother opportunity.

VENDOR EXEC's: Read this thread.

• Chip Perry and Mitch Golub, get your best minds on the shifting sands ahead!
  • WebVendors like Dealer.com, eCarList, TK, DealerFire, ADP, Cobalt, et al, the shifting power PLAYS RIGHT INTO YOUR LAP.
  • 3rd party lead sources... your pie is not done shrinking.

Last edited:
What are you thinking Joe?

Google takes this model into other verticals?

Fact.

Google builds this model, then optimizes it, creates a formal business plan to rubber stamp it in other verticals that "fit" this model (you can't sell cars from this model, but, you could sell auto insurance or auto financing). Google collects a list of verticals that will fit this model, add in the adword rates for the sector, sort it high to low, starts at the top and goes to work (at least that's how i'd do it).

Google will deeply plant MANY different tools to OWN a market. Try for yourself: refinance rate - Google Search See the "Compare rates" ad. Notice how it's ABOVE the Google ads. Pick a price and click it.

It sends you to Google Advisor... In the case of a Refi request (above), you get a full blown "AUTOTRADER like" presentation to shop from

Be scarred Mr Perry... be very scared!

Look @ the airlines, the smart ones only publish fares on sites they control. The idea of Google forcing dealers in a race to the bottom will put everyone out of business! If I was a dealer, I'd invest a hell of a lot of money into getting people to my site and controlling the experience from there. I don't doubt that Google will experiment with this just as they have with other markets, but I think dealerships really need to have a firm grip on where and how their data is displayed. My opinions of course!

Look @ the airlines, the smart ones only publish fares on sites they control. The idea of Google forcing dealers in a race to the bottom will put everyone out of business! If I was a dealer, I'd invest a hell of a lot of money into getting people to my site and controlling the experience from there. I don't doubt that Google will experiment with this just as they have with other markets, but I think dealerships really need to have a firm grip on where and how their data is displayed. My opinions of course!

Chris, I watched a local metro dealer cancel both AutoTrader and Cars.com. They invested that budget, plus a bunch more, in PPC. The result was a disaster.
Like it or not, the Internet determines the price. Dealers have to learn to deal with it.
92% of consumers shop the Internet before going into a dealership. On average, they spend 19 hours doing research. Beyond identifying the vehicle that meets their needs and budget, their prime consideration is price. I really don't see a way for you to drive people to your site to the exclusion of other sites like Edmonds, Cars, AutoTrader or other dealer sites.
Race to the bottom? The reality is that dealers have to become more efficient. They have to take a hard look at the three major variable expenses and deal with it.
The Internet is not going away. Some dealers are embracing it and learning how to leverage it. The rest?