• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
Alight Refresh Community, I need your opinion. I've been working hard to take our Merchandising Videos to the next level, but not only is it a bit of work, I can't seem to find that sweet spot of efficiency and effectiveness.

Allow me to clarify what I mean by "Merchandising Video" - A professional walk-around video of a vehicle in your current inventory that is hosted and viewed by the shopper on your dealership website, 3rd party listing website and video sites like YouTube. *This is NOT a personal one to one / lead response vehicle video walk-around.

My goal is to move away from the stitched image video and produce a more professional walk-around video, in-house. For Pre-Owned vehicle only at the moment.

Here is what I'm currently using to accomplish this...
  1. iPhone6
  2. Z-PRIME wide angle lens attachment by ZTYLUS - read about it here
  3. LanParte HHG-01 3-Axis Motorized Handheld Gimbal - read about and order it here
  4. AutosOnVideo (AOV) Platform and mobile app - message me for more info
I have the recording per vehicle with light editing and upload at just under 6 minutes for a walk-around video play time of 2 and a half minutes (on average.)

Below is a video of a pre-owned 2011 MB G Wagon that I shot in-house using the listed items above. Take notice to, and feel free to share your feedback on the following...
  1. Length of the video (time - though this one is longer than my average)
  2. Angles and movement
  3. Transitions
  4. Music w/ NO voice over
  5. Overall quality
Note: this video is a bit longer than most, over 3 minutes. IGNORE the exit portion of the video (last 5 seconds). I'm still working on the lighting and staging area but it's what I have to work with at the moment.

In-house recorded vehicle
VS
stitched image video

Which of the 2 videos do you prefer?

Does the In-house true walk-around video NEED a voice over that points out the vehicle specifics?

Does a voiceover take away OR add to the quality of the the video?

Reactions: Carlito Mojica
Stitched image videos? Dealers are still using these? Have these EVER passed the DISC test?

Yes, many dealers are still using them. It's the only way to really scale high volume walkaround videos of a dealer's inventory. As lame as we think they are, there's still a large percentage of people/consumers that don't realize they're nothing more than the same photos they just clicked through, or didn't.

Heck, even facebook has ya fooled!!

That gimbal does a good job, going to grab one of those!

I wonder if adding a pre-done voiceover to the start would help add value. Some kind of a call to action that you can edit into every video or if you get bored try 5. Get the radio station to voice them for you or if you dont do any radio hire someone on a site like abcvoices.com. Something that introduces a custom walkaround and throws a couple points at them that explains how to buy a car with you.

The reason I go there is because as much as I hate stitched videos things like that sunroof layover and some of the comments add value and having someone talking guides my thoughts.

Wouldn't it be interesting to ask this same question to 5 or 10 customers who've just bought or are in the process and ask them to same question and get it from their perspective? I wonder if they'd shred the stitched video or if they'd be fine with either.

Reactions: ed.brooks
Alight Refresh Community, I need your opinion. I've been working hard to take our Merchandising Videos to the next level, but not only is it a bit of work, I can't seem to find that sweet spot of efficiency and effectiveness.

Allow me to clarify what I mean by "Merchandising Video" - A professional walk-around video of a vehicle in your current inventory that is hosted and viewed by the shopper on your dealership website, 3rd party listing website and video sites like YouTube. *This is NOT a personal one to one / lead response vehicle video walk-around.

My goal is to move away from the stitched image video and produce a more professional walk-around video, in-house. For Pre-Owned vehicle only at the moment.

Here is what I'm currently using to accomplish this...
  1. iPhone6
  2. Z-PRIME wide angle lens attachment by ZTYLUS - read about it here
  3. LanParte HHG-01 3-Axis Motorized Handheld Gimbal - read about and order it here
  4. AutosOnVideo (AOV) Platform and mobile app - message me for more info
I have the recording per vehicle with light editing and upload at just under 6 minutes for a walk-around video play time of 2 and a half minutes (on average.)

Below is a video of a pre-owned 2011 MB G Wagon that I shot in-house using the listed items above. Take notice to, and feel free to share your feedback on the following...
  1. Length of the video (time - though this one is longer than my average)
  2. Angles and movement
  3. Transitions
  4. Music w/ NO voice over
  5. Overall quality
Note: this video is a bit longer than most, over 3 minutes. IGNORE the exit portion of the video (last 5 seconds). I'm still working on the lighting and staging area but it's what I have to work with at the moment.

In-house recorded vehicle
VS
stitched image video

Which of the 2 videos do you prefer?

Does the In-house true walk-around video NEED a voice over that points out the vehicle specifics?

Does a voiceover take away OR add to the quality of the the video?

I prefer your in-house video, yes I would suggest a voice over describing what the viewer is watching. If the voice over is done right it will add a lot of experience value.

The panned photo/videos were created way back in the day (2004) first started with text-to-speech (robot voice). They've evolved since then, caught some traction with dealers in 2008 when we were sending them to Youtube automatically and getting top first page positioning with certain keyword patterns. They did have some SEO benefits overall, but the view-through % weren't there for shopping value. Now they have more integration, human voice-over snippets tied to the equipment (2009), but still not getting any substantive shopping value. It's not providing anything over and above someone looking through photos while reading about the features and equipment.

I remember when Tim Jennings started doing real walkaround videos @ Tom Sparks Buick back in 2008 and knew that was going to be the best method for videos. It's so hard to scale though, has many nuances to work through at first, and is a lot of time/work.

I think real walkaround videos if done right, provide a great experience and value to the shopper. I like to hear what I'm seeing about the vehicle, quality of the video is important, a nice 60fps video camera @ 720HD+ provides a nice experience. The length should be enough to briefly cover all the features and condition of the particular vehicle, usually 2-4 minutes. Mid-Towne Auto Center has been doing real walkaround videos for awhile now, they have a solid process worked out, here's a few examples:

What's next with video? Maybe 360 video, here's a good example of the possibilities, best to watch it in 4K if you have a headset: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f50M6H3Y038

How can we apply 360 video to the car business?

I'm a fan of the 360 degree interactive image that lets the customer see what they want when they want.
I'm not sure how much value the voiceover lends to customers or how many of them really listen to it.
If it's not an engaging voice, I'd stick with a SpinCar-esque 360 degree demo of the vehicle that uses the Carvana style markers to point out features, damage, etc. Sometimes that's going to be a better way to transmit the same information I think.

Also, most of these video VDP solutions suck on mobile or are hidden entirely.