• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

NADA 2019 - who's going?

Yes! I love San Francisco.

I have talked to many vendors and some are there for boots on the ground and to visit with their customers. The expo floor plan is in three distinct areas so this might pose a challenge for vendors who need high volumes of traffic to reach targets. There seems to be a good volume of facility providers (architecture, flooring, shop equipment) than I've seen in the past. Wonder what that means.

If any dealer wants me to check out an exhibitor for them just let me know and I'll get the info you need. All part of our citizenry here on DR.

Safe travels everyone.

This will be the first time in 8 years that I will not attend NADA. Would love to be there, but I just can't stand San Fran. The homeless issue is real and it's best to just ignore them and keep walking. Also not a fan of the split venue between 3 locations.

With that said, I can offer some advice on how to make the most of the show. Here are my top things to do.

1. Bring as many salespeople as you can.
2. Purchase a scan license app for each rep so they can scan badges from their cell phones.
3. Take a picture with your leads so you can put a face to a name when back home.
4. Ask for the sale
5. If no sale, determine what day and time you should follow-up and then follow-up at that time.
6. Ask for cell phone numbers. "Mr. Dealer, you can see how our product is going to help your dealership right? Great, I am going to call you on your cell phone at X and that number is?" Having the main number is a waste of time.
7. Have a usable or unique giveaway that will draw people to your booth.
8. Prohibit salespeople from circle discussions, they should all be on a corner of the booth trying to engage dealers when not demoing.
9. Don't waste too much time on the Allied Industry badges, they all talk a good game, but I've found very little ever comes from it. Most of the time they are scoping you out for the wrong reasons.
10. Have fun, but don't over do it your first two nights. Save your late night for Sat.
11. Know when speaking sessions are taking place and plan quick lunch breaks during those times.
12. Go through your CRM and find all leads, send them an email and invite them to stop by your booth.
13. Invite current clients to your booth for upsell opportunities.

That's about it!

I'm going! The best part about the show is most vendors have a dev there that can answer actually answer questions that salespeople tend to say "yes, we can do that" to. I would rather speak to the developer in those situations.

Me: "Can this tool do X, Y, and Z?"
Sales: (as four other sales people start to close in around you) "Yes, AutoNation uses it to do that exact thing and is CRUSHING IT! And if you sign up at the show we can throw in W as well!"
Dev: (with no emotion) "We can do X well, Y is in beta till April, and Z can be done if you have DealerTrack. W is actually Z but with the new UX *leans in* but it's just paint and curtains."

Reactions: John S and pschnell
We'll be there sharing augmented video you can experience instead of watch, replacing digital reporting with a text, and giving dealers a chance to trade digital retailing for something better than an "Amazon" experience.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there-- and some lively discussions.

I'm going! The best part about the show is most vendors have a dev there that can answer actually answer questions that salespeople tend to say "yes, we can do that" to. I would rather speak to the developer in those situations.

Sales: (as four other sales people start to close in around you) "Yes, AutoNation uses it to do that exact thing and is CRUSHING IT! And if you sign up at the show we can throw in W as well!"
Dev: (with no emotion) "We can do X well, Y is in beta till April, and Z can be done if you have DealerTrack. W is actually Z but with the new UX *leans in* but it's just paint and curtains."

You found the real secret to NADA. ;)

Last edited:
This will be the first time in 8 years that I will not attend NADA. Would love to be there, but I just can't stand San Fran. The homeless issue is real and it's best to just ignore them and keep walking. Also not a fan of the split venue between 3 locations.

With that said, I can offer some advice on how to make the most of the show. Here are my top things to do.

1. Bring as many salespeople as you can.
2. Purchase a scan license app for each rep so they can scan badges from their cell phones.
3. Take a picture with your leads so you can put a face to a name when back home.
4. Ask for the sale
5. If no sale, determine what day and time you should follow-up and then follow-up at that time.
6. Ask for cell phone numbers. "Mr. Dealer, you can see how our product is going to help your dealership right? Great, I am going to call you on your cell phone at X and that number is?" Having the main number is a waste of time.
7. Have a usable or unique giveaway that will draw people to your booth.
8. Prohibit salespeople from circle discussions, they should all be on a corner of the booth trying to engage dealers when not demoing.
9. Don't waste too much time on the Allied Industry badges, they all talk a good game, but I've found very little ever comes from it. Most of the time they are scoping you out for the wrong reasons.
10. Have fun, but don't over do it your first two nights. Save your late night for Sat.
11. Know when speaking sessions are taking place and plan quick lunch breaks during those times.
12. Go through your CRM and find all leads, send them an email and invite them to stop by your booth.
13. Invite current clients to your booth for upsell opportunities.

That's about it!

This is awesome. Especially #3.

Reactions: joe.pistell

Smarts vendors do (especially the web platforms), not most vendors (especially the one off services). I've found that the majority of vendors bring their marketing and sales people and most of those people have little to no automotive experience. The same can be said of Digital Dealer(s).

Last edited: