• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
GOOGLE DATA STUDIO HACK

By default, Google Data Studio forces you to choose between either a Month over Month or Year over Year comparison (the up/down red/green arrows below each scorecard metric).

However, dealerships typically want to see how they compare to BOTH the prior month AND the prior year.

To accomplish this, all you have to do is:
1) Duplicate the scorecard metric
2) Change the comparison date range
3) Set the label font color to white so the only thing left visible is the second set of comparison up/down arrows
4) Add text below each comparison metric to distinguish between MoM vs YoY

mom yoy data studio.JPG

GOOGLE DATA STUDIO HACK

By default, Google Data Studio forces you to choose between either a Month over Month or Year over Year comparison (the up/down red/green arrows below each scorecard metric).

However, dealerships typically want to see how they compare to BOTH the prior month AND the prior year.

3) Set the label font color to white so the only thing left visible is the second set of comparison up/down arrows

View attachment 4241

Thank You.

This is the definition of actionable intel I can use.

Reactions: craigh
GOOGLE DATA STUDIO HACK

View attachment 4241
First, Ryan, great video! Dealerships definitely need more helpful information like that. Wishing you luck in your DSES session!

Second, another good way for dealers to display Google Ads information in Google Data Studio is by organizing data by High, Mid, and Low Funnels. Dealerships ultimately want to know one thing when it comes to digital marketing: does it sell cars? They want to know how their digital marketing translates to actions that lead to showroom visits and sales.

The image below is a good example because it shows true value to dealerships. Form submissions, click to calls, etc, are all good examples of valuable shopper actions that dealers want to know about.
Long McArthur Ford.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: Jeff Kershner
I have two quick questions folks.

1) Any of you guys using Geocoding in GDS and taking it to the zipcode level? I'm looking at building a map with data points on it in GDS and I would like to take it down to the zipcode level. From what I've found so far, I would have to use Lat and Long coordinates in the data. Any of you guys doing anything like this currently???

2) Google Data Studio or Microsoft Power BI? From what I've read, Power BI has tons of more features. Just curious if any of you have used it.

I have two quick questions folks.

1) Any of you guys using Geocoding in GDS and taking it to the zipcode level? I'm looking at building a map with data points on it in GDS and I would like to take it down to the zipcode level. From what I've found so far, I would have to use Lat and Long coordinates in the data. Any of you guys doing anything like this currently???
That is definitely one area that Data Studio is lacking a little in.

We use BatchGeo to upload our sales data down to the address level and it allows us to easily filter by New vs Used, Make, salesperson, etc.

Then we insert the screenshot into Data Studio monthly and include a link to the interactive BatchGeo map.

batch geo.JPG

• Useful
Reactions: Rick Buffkin
That is definitely one area that Data Studio is lacking a little in.

We use BatchGeo to upload our sales data down to the address level and it allows us to easily filter by New vs Used, Make, salesperson, etc.

Then we insert the screenshot into Data Studio monthly and include a link to the interactive BatchGeo map.

View attachment 4246
NEW GOOGLE DATA STUDIO FEATURE

Google just released a new feature that allows dealers to display their vehicle sales on an interactive filterable map!

Filter by new / used, make, body style, sales rep, etc - the possibilities are endless.

Did I mention it's free? Just copy and paste your CRM sold data into a Google Sheet each month (or automate the process using Zapier / Integromat).

data studio map.JPG