• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Anti-Social behavior from a Social Media Vendor

Yeah. "Go taste yourself" - Lovya Mitch!

Why is it always the social media companies in our industry that behave like this? Really.

I'm still sitting on one of the most shocking emails I've ever been sent, and it was from the owner of an social dealer review website. I predicted the company was going nowhere fast from the beginning and after receiving that email, It only reinforced my prediction.

Whatever.

Reactions: 1 person
Third-party-managed social media sounds good and easy, but this is just one of many examples where it usually bites you in the ass.

Would you let these people take an up on your lot while your salespeople sit in the back drinking coffee? If not, why the hell would you let some managed service be the frontline face to your customers?

Third-party-managed social media sounds good and easy, but this is just one of many examples where it usually bites you in the ass.

Would you let these people take an up on your lot while your salespeople sit in the back drinking coffee? If not, why the hell would you let some managed service be the frontline face to your customers?

Why do we let companies handle all of our merchandizing when we have 8 mega-pixel cameras in our pocket?

Why do we buy tons of 3rd-party leads instead of growing our own?

Because we live in the Speak in the Clown's Face Culture; instant gratification.

I am going to write this check, sit back, and watch the results just roll on in.

Burgers and Fries baby!!

Why do we let companies handle all of our merchandizing when we have 8 mega-pixel cameras in our pocket?

Why do we buy tons of 3rd-party leads instead of growing our own?

Because we live in the Speak in the Clown's Face Culture; instant gratification.

I am going to write this check, sit back, and watch the results just roll on in.

Burgers and Fries baby!!

I'll challenge you on this one Brother John. I'm gonna ramble, I agree that it's a "Culture" problem, but IMO, I believe it's a business management culture problem.

As Cars.com SVP Alex Vetter told me the other day (I'll paraphrase):

"NOTHING is more valuable than time, not even money. You can always earn more money, you CAN'T earn more time"​

JQ, Answer me this riddle:

"If Hotels have a captive audience that stay over night, then why do they frequently outsource the restaurant?"

The answer is in Vetter's comment.
From the hotel management POV, this should be a no-brainer. It has a captive audience ready to eat and sleep, a total laydown. So, why does management give up the keys to the restaurant?

Because its a different skill set than Hotel-ing. If you think about the challenge, restaurant staff and management are everywhere, they're not hard to replace/upgrade, if it fails, just get new bodies in here... right?

What really happens is the restaurant takes the managers eye off the core business.

We're talking about managements ability to take on new responsibilities. How does that Hotel 3rd party restaurant reality apply to Dealers using 3rd parties that:
  • Supply more leads (vs growing your own leads)
  • Staff Chat (vs reps chatting)
  • Run Social Media for the Dealership
  • Hire out the Pics and vehicle data
  • etc..
Why do dealers do it?
... because management can't handle it. It takes management's eye off the ball.

I preach over and over again, Management in Car Dealer World needs high level training. Heck, many GSM's use 60's era techniques and NEVER train their sales staff let alone conquering new ground.

Compare BillyBobMotors.com vs AuctionDirectUSA.com
BillyBob's been here since '72. Old school is the rule, sales reps share a kiosk and management has never been on AutoTrader.com

-vs-

AuctionDirectUSA has completely broken the mold and they have Eric Miltch leading the SM department.

IT'S NOT A FAIR FIGHT AuctionDirect has management with a vision, BillyBob just putters along.

I have been ANTI-social media, NOT because I find no value in it, but because it adds yet another task for management to... manage (ala the Hotel/Restaurant scenario). You've heard me say "I hope my competitors chase the social media rainbows and unicorns because it takes their eyes off the ball".

I see sales trainers training sales reps everywhere, who is training the DP and the GM and the GSM?

Reactions: 3 people
I don't see where you disagree with me...

ahh... now that I think of it... :egads: we're goin to the same city on different roads.

You say they don't DIY leads & pics and because they'd rather insert the coin and watch it come out (aka lazy).

I say they don't DIY because management can't handle it.

DOH! See what happens when I'm left alone with the keys!

Reactions: 1 person
@Joe

That is a fairly accurate play by play minus a couple things that should be mentioned. I tried working something out with the owner when they originally called to cancel. He was very rude and gave me the middle finger first. I know the original contact who left the dealership and believe him when he says the owner knew he signed the contract. The owner had his employee call us to get a discounted price for a longer contract and then purposely had his employee sign the contract so he could back out of it if something happened. Its a great tactic to get cheaper prices and get out of contracts if you don't like the way things are going. If you use this tactic you should also make sure all your bases are covered before you play that card.