• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Anti-Social behavior from a Social Media Vendor

So for $450 you're willing to damage your reputation. I can tell you that a lot of dealers read these forums and you're leaving them with a bad taste. It's your company and you can do as you please, but in my opinion you're going to win the battle and then lose the war.

I would never recommend your company based on this thread.

Jason,

Was the 20 minutes to write that post the only time you've given to this situation?

If I've got the timeline right, since Sept 3, 2011 you've been squatting on a dealer's Fanpage and placed apps that intentionally make them look inept over a billing quarrel? They have less than 150 likes on the page and you've been camping there for twice as long as you were providing a service? Then you attempt to justify a ransom of $450 in addition to whatever they've paid you already?

I'm not trying to bash you, but your very long post doesn't go very far to prove that you genuinely care about your reputation. In fact, you've done exactly what I advise my dealers NOT to do when they get a negative review of their business in a public forum. Like Jerry, I get asked every day for referrals to companies that provide similar services, yours will be one that I warn against in light of this post.

Please reevaluate this policy and this dealer's account.

Reactions: 1 person
Lets see if I got this play by play Summary right.

SocialUps has month to month and longer term contracts (offered at a discount). Employee provides CCard to long term contract. Vendor assumes that possession of dealers CCard is sufficient authorization.

Months later, Employee is discharged. New replacement requests to cancel service and is informed of contract. The replacement informs the owner of contract, DP goes ballistic. Vendor offers reduced contract length, then offers 50% off the difference.

Clearly, the Dealer started the problem, BUT, SocialUps management has no personal connection to the DP (aka the card holder). SocialUps has to recognize that credit card numbers can get un-authorized use. In some cases "Ivory Tower DPs" are suddenly thrust into decision making and they get extra cranky if your contract has shown a weakness in their operation (DP thinks HOW MANY OTHER CONTRACTS AM I ON THE HOOK FOR!!). DP's also HATE being made to look like a fool and the SocialUps method to get paid is simply rude.

SocialUps needs to recognize it's roll AND responsibility and put away it's NAPALM and find a soft hammer to negotiate with. You had the DP's ear and This WAS your opportunity to hammer home a real contract, but you killed that when you made the DP look like a FB ass.

Last edited:
Have you tried calling them and just being honest?

"Hi, I wanted to resolve this before it became a matter of pride for both parties. We appreciate the service that you provided and this isn't a slight at your company. My dealership overvalued facebook’s potential as an asset of revenue on our balance sheet. The liabilities that we incurred from having a 3rd party monitor it full time have over shot our ROI and I am forced to make some changes. Can you bring me up to speed as far as your side of things, has your company been compensated for the set up of our facebook page?
[if yes]
"okay great, so moving forward what can we do to wrap this up? I just want this to get resolved and get our admin stuff back so that we can make sure it's compliant with Hyundai's dealer ad covenant and is up to date."

[if no]
"i had no idea, I'm sorry. what do I owe you? I just want this to get resolved and get our admin stuff back so that we can make sure it's compliant with Hyundai's dealer ad covenant and up is to date."

Sometimes it's best to ask for mercy and act like this is no big deal.

Way better way to handle it rather than just not paying the bill.

Way better way to handle it rather than just not paying the bill.

I don't disagree with you Yago, but the following quote from the vendor shows that the dealer didn't just arbitrarily stop paying the bill.

Jason Pilger called me directly and I offered for him to pay the difference between what a 90 day contract and a 365 day contract would have cost (about $1000 difference). He was extremely rude and said no he won't pay another penny, that he didn't sign the contract. I explained to him that a company credit card was provided and more then likely if a "company" credit card was provided either you knew about it or the person providing the card has sufficient privileges to sign the contract.

More than likely, the way this call was handled is exactly why the dealer decided to cease payment. Uncle Joe is right again.

Joe Pistell said:
You had the DP's ear and This WAS your opportunity to hammer home a real contract, but you killed that when you made the DP look like a FB ass.

(Note: It's Feb 8th and this thread has had 1741 views. The dealer paid $450 to get admin rights restored.)

I don't disagree with you Yago, but the following quote from the vendor shows that the dealer didn't just arbitrarily stop paying the bill.

More than likely, the way this call was handled is exactly why the dealer decided to cease payment. Uncle Joe is right again.

(Note: It's Feb 8th and this thread has had 1741 views. The dealer paid $450 to get admin rights restored.)

I meant bzwefeil approach from a beginning POV was well written.

In this case (like most often in life) I see both at fault. This should have been fixed way before getting into DR.

BTY- Sorry I missed you at NADA, got busy and forgot. Next time first one is on me.

My favorite...

Hello Everyone,
I am a very busy person and stopped my entire day to respond to this post personally. I have 20 people in the conference room waiting for me.

It could have really done without the "I'm a pretty big deal" paragraph. Most dealers I know would instantly say "Go taste yourself!" after reading that section.

Reactions: 6 people