• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
Here's a question... if Consumers are, at best, "so so" on Digital Retailing, and Dealers are, at best, "so so" on Digital Retailing, then why is Digital Retailing the first word out of every vendor's mouth?

Many Vendors have decision makers that don't understand the battleground between consumer and dealer. Plus, they're surrounded by co-workers that identify with the buyer's victim role.

IMO, this is the industry-wide vendor logic that overestimated the e-commerce's impact.

Vendors observe:
upload_2018-2-19_12-39-33.png

I believe the Vendors got interest from the Major Auto Groups.

Vendors conclude:
upload_2018-2-19_12-40-24.png

Thats exactly what's happening.

Some people read a report that said "People hate the car buying process" They took that to mean that since people like being online they should just make the car buying process happen online. They never thought about what it would take to really do it well.

The current solutions out there are a square peg, round hole solution.

A self-proclaimed “industry expert” that’s never worked in a store let alone in technology... wasn’t he in the fundraising business in another life?

I will say Brian's contributions have educated buyers and dealerships in general about digital marketing. You have to realize this is a sales industry. He may not have a technical background, but as a automotive digital marketing "evangelist" I think he's done a great job. AFAIK he's not giving bad advice either.

Selling candy bars to churches or for chirches to the elderly or something?

You're going to attack someone's character without knowing anything about them? What bone do you have to pick with him?

I should have mentioned that I wasn't attacking you, in that last post, Chris. I sometimes use other's posts to make a point to future readers. Apologies if it felt like I was singling you out.

No worries, I didn't take it that way.

I am not bitter, but I do feel like I never completed my own CRM mission. It is a personal fire that is still burning.

Nothing is a better motivator then that! I hope you have the opportunity to work on that again soon.

I will say Brian's contributions have educated buyers and dealerships in general about digital marketing. You have to realize this is a sales industry. He may not have a technical background, but as a automotive digital marketing "evangelist" I think he's done a great job. AFAIK he's not giving bad advice either.

I don’t disagree with someone being able to help in specific instances and perhaps he has. However, don’t presume to tell me “how to run your dealership” when you yourself have never stepped foot in one other to make a purchase. That’s where it’s down right insulting. The other joke and a telltale sign of BS is when you find a hustle and you tap in your entire family. If you’re talented, if you’re uniquely equipped, if you’re enlightened then sure, MAYBE. However, we have far too many “families” calling on us to take them seriously. Husband and wives, brothers, father/daughters, come on. One I can stretch and believe but when you start tapping in everyone it’s no different than a feeding frenzy at the park with pigeons. We look at it as “there’s enough to go around for everyone so they’re all jumping in to consult.”

You're going to attack someone's character without knowing anything about them? What bone do you have to pick with him?
That’s not attacking character... if it’s true; you assume that something bad happened, I said no such thing. Perhaps you’re better informed than I. Did something bad happen?

Last edited: