• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

TAKE POLL Cars.com VS AutoTrader VS CarGurus

Hi Blake- so curious what was the outcome in visiting all three sights? What was the deciding factor on the car you chose? Did you see it on all three sights? Which sight do you feel help you make the most informed decision?

Your resurrection of this popped up in my email and it was actually perfect timing to get some feedback on some findings if anyone is interested in providing any of course...

Many of you might remember a company a few years back that was swallowed up by Truecar, called CarWoo! (The punctuation is part of the logo). For those who did not know this company, they provided a sort of trimmed down digital broker service by taking a car buyers request for a vehicle, sending that request to multiple dealerships, then letting those dealerships compete for the business. The idea was to simplify what many believe most people already do on their own time which is shop around for offers then use them against other dealerships until they get the best deal. The thought was that putting this is one place could simplify everything for everyone. Consumers wouldn't have to call and email around and open themselves up to possible spammy tactics, and dealers would be able to see exactly where the consumer was shopping and the deals they were truly receiving from the competition.

This was a relative success with consumers but as with anything, dealers took it one of two ways. One side took a positive stance that this put them in front of low funnel buyers (Because people actually paid to use the service) and allowed them to win out some extra customers simply by being more engaging and professional than competitors who just threw out low prices. On the flip side, a significant amount of dealers saw this as nothing more than a platform where dealers would beat themselves down to the bottom of a price war, and took the position that simply on the basis of right and wrong, they could not condone something they saw as removing the "selling" out of "car sales".

While researching all of this for a future product launch (Full disclosure) I ran a few tests with some local dealerships that we work with. I used some of the third party sites mentioned on this thread to submit a lead and just sat back and watched what happened. To be honest, I already knew what would happen, but I just needed to let it play out to have the visuals in my back pocket for a future sales deck.

What happened every time (In a variety of different ways) was that I would submit one lead to one dealership than at some point, either immediately or at a later time/date, I would receive ads or listings for a similar vehicle at another dealership (All accounts were created fresh and only used for one search and submission inside of incognito windows so the results wouldn't be flawed). As of today, because as we all know the emails and phone calls never stop when someone gets your contact information, I continue to receive ads and emails in which well over 70% of the time the dealership I sent the original submission to wasn't the featured dealer in the ads/correspondence.

What get's me is that immediately when finding old reviews on CarWoo you will see a dealership or two complaining about the company pitting one dealership against another for the same buyer (Direct competition), yet I rarely find this thought process on threads such as this one when every day the companies listed above are nonchalantly taking a customer that's yours and throwing your competition back in their face. After some thought, the "why" of why multiple dealerships are being pushed starts to make sense. It's the business model- They have to ensure they can report success and growth to as many clients as possible on a consistent basis or else they can't institute rate hikes. Now, they could try and assert equal growth at every dealership by claiming the ability to create car buyers out of people who were not in the market to buy a car, but that simply wouldn't be believable nor would it be a metric they could actually prove. Heck, they can't even figure out how to document the path of a sale as it is so they are all claiming every one of them, you know, you get the calls.

The bottom line here guys is that my research showed me that dealers who see themselves in the same room competing for a lead get offended, while the same dealers, competing for the same lead, against the same competitors, in separate rooms, with a 3rd party moderator holding all the keys to the doors, are as happy as a pig in ****. Quite simply, I just don't understand it.

Again, full disclosure, I am launching a product locally (Not Nationally) that's similar to CarWoo, and the European version CarWow, but with a major difference. You see, CarWoo was built by people who never sold a car in their life, I've had my dealers license for 3 years, worked under a dealer for 2 before that, and have been in dealership marketing and SEO for another 2. I'd like to think I have made a more dealer-friendly version of this model but I know the same Boo-Birds will likely fly saying I'm out to get them too. They will then turn around and pay someone 10 fold what I would cost that will push their competition when they're not looking.

Rather than fight them, I'd just like to understand them and I'm hoping someone here can help me do that. Maybe I don't understand because I always thought the opportunity to go head to head with another dealer would favor me. And if I didn't want to get scrappy, I picked the wrong line of work. I'll tell you one thing: If Im fighting for my check, my business, and my future, I'd rather someone that allowed me to get on the field and play ball every day over someone that sat me in a windowless room and told me to trust that they would open the door for me.

BTW, If you have read all of this, thank you!!

Reactions: JamesRG
Cars.com VS AutoTrader.com VS CarGurus.com

If you had to choose only ONE. Which would it be, and why?
Back in June I was told by a carsguru sales rep that my price rate was going up and how good I was doing with carguru. Here is my point of view since canceling the service and spending the extra funds on cars.com and autotrader.

The negative-Substantially less phone calls, less emails , so basically less leads overall.

The positive- Much better closing rates, less bs/worthless calls and emails, and more profits from more qualified and informed leads.

Now I shouldn't have to explain or justify questions such as why have you had this car for so many days, your price is not listed as a great deal ,carguru says that the vehicle has an accident (very annoying). If you are going to provide customers with a report show a complete report not a bogus history report with less than 10% of the info. More accuracy will create less headaches. Its almost as if im paying for a service that instead of help me sell cars, they are helping customers steer clear from me.

Sadly carguru thinks they are the best game in town and likes to bully small dealers to huge price increases and using fear factor, aggressive marketing ,but from my experience since leaving in june 2018, I had a very rough adjustment period but as of late July2018 early August 2018 I feel like im back in full control with good leads, intelligent buyers that understands how to value a automobile based in condition, drivebillity, having a mechanic checking it prior to purchasing, etc rather than having customer that have a search engine(carguru) do all the work for them.

Dont ever let a company control your business model by simpling caving in to their so called winning methods..remember you are the one that run your business and you are the one with the final decisions, dont let others think for you and dont believe in quantity leads over quality leads.

Want lots of leads?

Number 1 carguru, 2 craiglist, 3 autotrader, 4 cars.com, 5 others

do you want quality leads?

Number 1 autotrader, 2 cars.com, 3-4 tied carguru and craiglist, 5 others.

Feedback is welcome.

• Useful
Reactions: Michael J. Taverna
Back in June I was told by a carsguru sales rep that my price rate was going up and how good I was doing with carguru. Here is my point of view since canceling the service and spending the extra funds on cars.com and autotrader.

The negative-Substantially less phone calls, less emails , so basically less leads overall.

The positive- Much better closing rates, less bs/worthless calls and emails, and more profits from more qualified and informed leads.

Now I shouldn't have to explain or justify questions such as why have you had this car for so many days, your price is not listed as a great deal ,carguru says that the vehicle has an accident (very annoying). If you are going to provide customers with a report show a complete report not a bogus history report with less than 10% of the info. More accuracy will create less headaches. Its almost as if im paying for a service that instead of help me sell cars, they are helping customers steer clear from me.

Sadly carguru thinks they are the best game in town and likes to bully small dealers to huge price increases and using fear factor, aggressive marketing ,but from my experience since leaving in june 2018, I had a very rough adjustment period but as of late July2018 early August 2018 I feel like im back in full control with good leads, intelligent buyers that understands how to value a automobile based in condition, drivebillity, having a mechanic checking it prior to purchasing, etc rather than having customer that have a search engine(carguru) do all the work for them.

Dont ever let a company control your business model by simpling caving in to their so called winning methods..remember you are the one that run your business and you are the one with the final decisions, dont let others think for you and dont believe in quantity leads over quality leads.

Want lots of leads?

Feedback is welcome.

I ran a test here locally using a Dealership I work with. I created a Gurus consumer account, did so using a created email on incognito screens with a different I.P. Essentially, I went all out to be a fresh face to the system.

I searched for a vehicle, found their dealership, and submitted a lead on that vehicle and that vehicle only. The first screen I was shown after submission was a list of vehicles at other dealerships. The first email I got was a list of vehicles from other dealerships. A few weeks later I got an email saying the vehicle was sold and guess what it included? A list of vehicles from other dealerships. That email was actually the worst because it showed competitors cars all with green colored great deals yet this dealer had a yellow deal.

Now, I'm a fair-minded guy, I get that a listing site is there to help people find cars, but my GOD MAN! If someone shows interest in one dealership that dealer should at least be rewarded with some sort or priority in the emails, right? The first action should have been something about similar vehicles at that dealer. The first email should have had that dealers other cars up top then maybe sprinkle in some other dealerships cars below.

As I said in that long post above, the sales model requires that they be able to go to every dealer and point out an increase in numbers. The problem with that is if you can't create buyers out of thin air, how do you increase everyone's lead count in an area where they are all competing against each other? This is how, by using the example I included in my test. You get one person to click on as many different dealerships listings as possible and bam= Everyone sees an increase in incoming leads.

For the naysayers, I'll stop you here by saying that I admit this doesn't mean you can't close any of the leads coming in. We all know there are numerous variables in this industry and for whatever reason, some will do more sifting through higher volumes of leads than others. All I am discussing is the strategy behind it and that a customer that you think is yours is going to be directed right down the street even if they haven't asked to be.

• Useful
Reactions: Alex Snyder

Marcello or others, would anyone feel comfortable sharing the pricing that they pay for services like AutoTrader, CarGuru, TrueCar, and other relevant platforms? I am putting together a dealer business model and want to factor for the cost of these services, but they don't publish their prices publicly as far as I can tell.

Feel free to PM me.

As I said in that long post above, the sales model requires that they be able to go to every dealer and point out an increase in numbers. The problem with that is if you can't create buyers out of thin air, how do you increase everyone's lead count in an area where they are all competing against each other? This is how, by using the example I included in my test. You get one person to click on as many different dealerships listings as possible and bam= Everyone sees an increase in incoming leads.

Great point @autohitch Steve!

I would say Cargurus is the best at having the highest shopper footprint among their dealer network.

What is one shopper worth in the amount of form leads, phone calls, texts, referrals on Cargurus? My guess is maybe 20 total contacts.. spread out across 15-20 dealers? But they only buy one vehicle!

I don't think the total number of in-market shoppers is drastically different in our market from ATC, Cars, or Cargurus, but by far Cargurus does a better job of lead & activity attribution.

My approach is to look at 3rd party listings sites as a form of display advertising. Forms and phone calls are a bonus but I really want to see how many people are viewing my pieces of inventory and making it back to my website. All 3rd party leads are mostly garbage (3% - 6%) closing rate. If you are at 10%+ on your leads (cars.com/CG) you are a rockstar. AT leads close higher but when you only get 10 a month its kind of pointless.

Cargurus has the most eyeballs on my inventory by far followed by Cars.com, then Autotrader. The trick to using the "display" strategy for measurement is to pay the absolute bare minimum for their entry level package and grind them down even more. When you can list 500+ new/used cars on a 3rd party site for under $2K a month AND get at least a sub $5 CPM, you are doing just fine in my book. I'm on all 3 for a total of under $6,000/mo with anywhere from 500 - 700 new and used cars listed at a time. It is a necessary evil but if you have keep the cost down you can justify the spend.

Put it this way: would you rather spend $1500/mo on a pre-owned PPC campaign and pay $5+ CPC with a CPL of $$$$$$ and garbage time on site? OR - shotgun blast your inventory out to get 600,000+ impressions on an auto-intender site? I know which one I would choose.....Both! :lol:

Side Tip: you need to put click bait on these site and alert the staff so they know how to handle the leads and calls. That Cadillac Escalade with the blown transmission you put $200 in on trade? Put that baby up online for $4,990 "Call for Details" and get ready!! "Oh sir, we have over 70 cars under $10,000 in stock, was that the price range you were looking for?"

Marcello or others, would anyone feel comfortable sharing the pricing that they pay for services like AutoTrader, CarGuru, TrueCar, and other relevant platforms? I am putting together a dealer business model and want to factor for the cost of these services, but they don't publish their prices publicly as far as I can tell.

Feel free to PM me.

They can correct me if I'm wrong, but these prices (I believe) are mainly negotiated, and there may be a stipulation that they can't share their arrangement. Two (similar) competing dealers paying drastically different amounts could be an obvious reality, but never the less it's one the 3rd parties would rather leave unspoken.

Great point @autohitch Steve!

I would say Cargurus is the best at having the highest shopper footprint among their dealer network.

What is one shopper worth in the amount of form leads, phone calls, texts, referrals on Cargurus? My guess is maybe 20 total contacts.. spread out across 15-20 dealers? But they only buy one vehicle!

I don't think the total number of in-market shoppers is drastically different in our market from ATC, Cars, or Cargurus, but by far Cargurus does a better job of lead & activity attribution.

"Higher Activity"- Couldn't have said it better!

They can correct me if I'm wrong, but these prices (I believe) are mainly negotiated, and there may be a stipulation that they can't share their arrangement. Two (similar) competing dealers paying drastically different amounts could be an obvious reality, but never the less it's one the 3rd parties would rather leave unspoken.

Thanks for the quick response. So maybe a more basic question. Is it normally a fixed or packaged price per month? Or is it a variable price based on the number of impressions/leads? And are there value add tools that they sell on top like Lead Qual?