• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Cash For Clunkers- I have been paid club!

According to the NADA Webinar #3, they listed the major rejection codes :

12% of the rejections due to Junk Automobile, CARS.GOV written on title (I heard you have to write it in black marker, not pen, but they may be a rumor)

9% proof of insurance not current plus previous 12 months

The rest they didn't have percentages for but the big ones were no signatures on summary of sale page (or just sending in the signature page without the front page.)

And the last one they mentioned was missing the side by side EPA Comparison.

so far, four rejections for things like missing attachments (website didn't really start working till last Sunday) and they love the "can't read registration" rejection code. All my rejections have been the first ones we sent in while we were still trying to figure this mess out and dealing with the money has run out scare. I think they should have had enough time to get caught up and should be closer to the 24- 48 hour timeline they originally quoted. The timeline has been more along the lines of 10 days. I know they are trying to prevent fraud but this is ridiculous, they should hire more people or work some overtime just like the dealers that are trying to recover the money.

They had 30 days to build a massive system, create the rules of the program, hire staff, and come up with a fraud-prevention system. Crap....it took me 3 weeks to simply build process steps for our CRM and 2 years for us to make a decision on that CRM.

They had 30 employees (now 60) and I think you're going to see Brian Pasch writing a bit about that on Cash for Clunkers | Get Started NHTSA Program | Dealer Directory

They had 30 days to build a massive system, create the rules of the program, hire staff, and come up with a fraud-prevention system. Crap....it took me 3 weeks to simply build process steps for our CRM and 2 years for us to make a decision on that CRM.

They had 30 employees (now 60) and I think you're going to see Brian Pasch writing a bit about that on Cash for Clunkers | Get Started NHTSA Program | Dealer Directory

Well said Alex. I agree with what you're saying and believe that people upset with the CARS process need to step back and look at it from the other side.

I think it's impressive that this program has worked as well as it has so far since from this point on it most likely will only become a smoother process.

I am with you Alex but on the other hand they should have warned us instead of saying 24-48 hours for approvals and then a few days for the cash to roll in.

• number of submissions since july 27th 25
  • number of rejections 0
  • number of approvals 0
  • number under review as of aug 11th 25
  • number of outstanding dollars 112,000
  • total outstanding factory rebate monies $69000.00
  • total cash recieved on 25 purchases $275000.00
  • total dollars paid to floor plan $427000.00
  • total capital tied up $113000.00
this spans over 13 days with no sign of reprieve in sight. there are dealers that cannot withstand this type of lag time, and I feel for them. They are busy for the first time in many months, without much cash left, and this program promises money and forces them to ante up. If you are 100% compliant with this program you will STILL have to float hundreds of thousands of dollars for an indefinite period of time. Shameful.

I checked the detail.html attachments that we got on our 2 rejections and neither of them opened. However, an error code was listed in each of the emails. I have heard of some dealers getting rejection emails with no error codes. Unfortunately, the only thing you can do there is call the support number, however, I have heard the phone reps at the call center don't have visibility of this....I would say your best bet is to go over the rejected application with a fine tooth comb and re-submit...in one of the description boxes put the deal was previously rejected with no error code.

• number of submissions since july 27th 25
  • number of rejections 0
  • number of approvals 0
  • number under review as of aug 11th 25
  • number of outstanding dollars 112,000
  • total outstanding factory rebate monies $69000.00
  • total cash recieved on 25 purchases $275000.00
  • total dollars paid to floor plan $427000.00
  • total capital tied up $113000.00
this spans over 13 days with no sign of reprieve in sight. there are dealers that cannot withstand this type of lag time, and I feel for them. They are busy for the first time in many months, without much cash left, and this program promises money and forces them to ante up. If you are 100% compliant with this program you will STILL have to float hundreds of thousands of dollars for an indefinite period of time. Shameful.

Very Informative thanks for sharing! Hope Congress is reading this and FYI Congress this is not the time for politics so don't bring up health care.