• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
The first week or so - back at the dealership.

If you were stepping back into a business development management role at a new dealership - what's the very first thing you would dive into that would potentially have the most impact on increasing opportunities??

Let's if we're on the same boat.
I'd say it depends on your position and what you mean by opportunities.

Dealer/GM level - increasing net by increasing total gross, maximizing F&I, and reducing unnecessary expenses.

Sales Management - 1. Make sure you have the right inventory, and it's merchandised well (pricing, photos, description/options, & why buy). The right inventory will sell cars. 2. dive into your untapped customer database (equity) and your service drive customers. 3. Fine tune your marketing, knowing you won't be wasting marketing $$ with bad merchandising.

Fixed Ops Management - 1. Make sure you have enough inventory aka wrench time for both quick service and repair. 2. Make sure your service process is tuned to maximize CSI, sales and gross by having a smooth experience, and presenting an MPI for additional service - that way you'll be confident you marketing $$ will maximized with each visitor. 3. Look at your service retention in your immediate market and focus on marketing those customers 1st. 4. Focus on the immediate market for off-make vehicles and market to them.

that's the boat I'm on. *** nothing you probably dont know :cool:

Reactions: Stefan
What has changed? All the MANY programs, mandatory services and vendors the manufacturer insists you use now. It's triple the amount it was 10 years ago. I get more phone calls a day from OEM reps of different services than anyone else. Five weeks in and my head is still spinning with all the services the dealer now (has to) uses.

Interesting... I'm seeing OEM's get MUCH more interested in the operational side of the business. Where it was the norm to provide the OEM with operational data (much more data than most dealers realize) a few years ago, more and more they're dipping their toes into the waters of variable and fixed tooling.

Jeff -- I'll be interested to learn your experience here. On the one hand, OEM's are pushing for more customer-centric and customer friendly processes - good stuff.

On the other hand, exactly how many cars did the OEM's retail last year? The answer is the same for every year: 0. For all their expertise in manufacturing and marketing, Sales is a completely different animal, and the tools they want don't exactly jive with the existing infrastructure.

If you were stepping back into a business development management role at a new dealership - what's the very first thing you would dive into that would potentially have the most impact on increasing opportunities??

If I'm running a store, the first thing I want to do is end "The Game."

The notion of "controlling" customers is gone -- like trying hold a cup of water in your hands.

I want a customer-centric, customer-focussed dealership -- defining what that REALLY means is the job.

Really kinda a ballsy thing -- but can you imagine true transparency in a dealership, and what that means?

But I'd start with Golden Rule: Do unto customers as they would do unto you -- see where it goes from there.

:)

Reactions: Stefan

I haven't been on the vendor side, but I did switch groups about 6 months ago. Three words: Total Opportunity Management

What are you salespeople, sales managers, service advisors, and service managers doing with the customers they get? Are they collecting the right info (email, phone #, text opt in, source, etc)? Are there processes set up to follow up and market to all those customers? Is there a series of checks to make sure you're capturing the customers (CRM + written floor log, etc)?

Until you have an idea how many opportunities you have you won't really know that you're increasing anything. Furthermore, if you're not getting the most out of what you have than you're just wasting time and money trying to increase opportunities that may be wasted.

But I'd start with Golden Rule: Do unto customers as they would do unto you -- see where it goes from there.

http://www.strategymob.com/happiest-dealership/

I've always loved the story of this dealership. They've been through a number of things, but the initiative they took in customer satisfaction has become a dealership wide initiative to ensure that every customer *and* employee leaves smiling.

Reactions: john.quinn

I walked into 5 websites, for three rooftops, and social media for five brands. Marketing is very, very limited here. The attention paid to the websites was essentially a homepage slider for specials, and that was it.

So far, my time has been spent tagging links, adjusting/creating content, setting up landing pages for new marketing efforts, all while trying to start a multi-store BDC from scratch.

It looks like the site updates & link tagging has been helpful, as Google Analytics now easily shows us which links are more utilized than others, leading to site usage influenced updates, rather than gut feelings.

Small, list of upcoming To-Do's:
- Revamp site templates
- Better CTAs
- More content
- Create templates (for once I have staff)
- Select third party lead generators
- Updating Photo aggregation system

Thus far, we have managed to cut a lot of unnecessary spending, freeing up money for avenues that I will be testing for effectiveness moving forward.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner

If you were stepping back into a business management role at a new dealership - what's the very first thing you would dive into that would potentially have the most impact on increasing opportunities??

I should have been a bit more descriptive around the position of "Business Development Manager". I've always viewed it as a position where one identifies and works to improve a dealers market position while achieving volume and financial growth - developing more business! :lol:

Lost of great recommendations. I believe @jscole86 touched it. I went straight to inventory!

Did a full analysis of the New and Used inventory across the dealer's website and all listing portals partnered with. How are the New and Used vehicles currently merchandised? Merchandising 101.

What I found was a huge opportunity for better photos, comments, pricing, shared data and transparency. I took over used car photos. Yup - dusted off the ol Panasonic Lumix, re-familiarized myself with the settings and re-established the importance and priority that comes along with having great photos of your inventory.

To some degree, I can't believe I'm typing this. It's SO elementary, yet wasn't being done at the level it needed to be. Instead they had the "lot guy" taking the photos. Really? The average cost of this dealers pre-owned inventory is somewhere in the high 40's to low 50's. And they have the Lot Guy taking photos. Someone that doesn't give 2 shits on how our vehicles look online.

Now I didn't take all the photo responsibilities away from him. With a bit of coaching, he continues to on with photos of New inventory with the exception of a few rare model/trims anything with an AMG badge.

Jeff, why would you go back to taking photos of used cars? The question crossed my mind. It sure did. But if I'm gonna do it, I'm going to do it right and in order to merchandise the (used) inventory the way it needs to be, then I need to be intimately involved with each used vehicle we have for sale. There's no better opportunity than an intimate photo shoot. ;-)

I'm not the only one that needs to be more "involved". The Sales team need to know each vehicle just as well. We're not a high volume BHPH selling high mileage asian / domestic machines. We're a smaller volume luxury dealer - there's no excuse NOT to know the inventory. There's no need to resort to a rolled up inventory sheet or even our website to discuss options, features, benefits and pricing on a $60,000 pre-owned vehicle. So new process - every time I'm done taking photos of a vehicle, I send out a group text and everyone knows to it's time to head over to the delivery bay (where we now take our photos) for a group walk-around of that vehicle. At this time we review all the different options, features, condition, CarFax, pricing, market reports - whatever we have on the vehicle we all share and review - outloud. The idea has been well received with everyone in attendance 90% of the time. Now and then a customer finds their way into the walk-around. I've been knows to get them involved as well.

I've been slowly going back and retaking photos of pre-Jeff inventory when bandwidth permits.

FYI - we sold 90% of our off make inventory over the last 45 days. I even raised the prices on a few particular vehicles since we upped the quality of merchandising. They sold.

Reactions: Ralph Ebersole
Jeff,

Love your approach here! I will be following this thread!

Question - how many vendors is the dealer currently working with? (it would be helpful to know the total number of roofs/makes)

How many online sites - CRM, website reporting, social, OEM portals, financing portals, parts, etc - does this dealer log into regularly?

Bottom line - does this dealer have a line of site with all vendors and online resources?