• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

SEO 101 For Dealers

Ryan,

Dood... H1 tags, alt tags, source code, headers, titles, etc... all this is jibberish to most players. No one's going to learn HTML to sell cars. Your preaching 9th grade math to a 4th grade audience, what's in there that is "actionable"? What's in there that will this help them sell cars? Bring your advanced ideas down to the street!

ALSO, 98% of you audience is married to a vendor supplied website.

Last edited:
Build a micro site on WP or something and try to dominate a keyword and see how you do. Go from there.

Yeah Ryan - I should try that :lol: ....Wordpress huh? Never heard of it :poke:

I am kidding with you Ryan. Most of the regular participators on DealerRefresh haven't played on the 101 level in a long time. Joe is right - most of us are married to a vendor-supplied website and know that each have their own SEO issues right now. Like I posted earlier, I see a trend amongst the more proactive to supply tag, title, header, meta editing to dealers. I also know of one vendor who is remaking their back end to mimic Wordpress.

Other vendors are doing some things to help in this area as well. I think you're going to see a big shift over the next 2 years. Yes, it isn't happening fast enough, but it is happening :thumbup:

Again....great post! It certainly helps with DealerRefresh's SEO value :D ....nice tagging too.

OK. So I will teach them....right here. Why not right...this site is supposed to be about teaching and learning. I have 10 years experience in this world so I will share some basics. I work off of Wordpress and will show based on that platform. I am confused why a website provider would try to make their backend more like WP when they can just use WP.

Kind of like the Toyota commercial. Why buy a car like a toyota camry when you can buy....a toyota camry.

Control!

Give me some time today and I will try to put together some info on video/pictures to help everyone with these terms.

OK. So I will teach them....right here. Why not right...this site is supposed to be about teaching and learning. I have 10 years experience in this world so I will share some basics. I work off of Wordpress and will show based on that platform. I am confused why a website provider would try to make their backend more like WP when they can just use WP.

Kind of like the Toyota commercial. Why buy a car like a toyota camry when you can buy....a toyota camry.

Control!

Give me some time today and I will try to put together some info on video/pictures to help everyone with these terms.

Sincerely looking forward to it.

Ryan,

Dood... H1 tags, alt tags, source code, headers, titles, etc... all this is jibberish to most players. No one's going to learn HTML to sell cars. Your preaching 9th grade math to a 4th grade audience, what's in there that is "actionable"? What's in there that will this help them sell cars? Bring your advanced ideas down to the street!

ALSO, 98% of you audience is married to a vendor supplied website.

I do not know the back-end of most of the website providers so I am not sure on what level they have control. I will make it simple for everyone. The most simple way to teach is to show. Hang tight...this may be a 2 week project here.

Title Tags

OK I don't have a ton of time because I am on lunch but I wanted to share with you a little about title tags. Yes I work for Contact At Once and I will be using our website for this illustration. I will make this as elementary as possible. We know for a fact that title tags are extremely important when it comes to SEO per google. Please note: these opinions are in no way related to those of Contact At Once and are my own opinions or facts I have gathered from research. I will try to share my sources where it is necessary. I act on the behalf of Ryan Lucia and express my own views on SEO. So lets dive in...

A web Designer will add your title tags in the HTML in your website. It will look like this.
titletagviewsource.jpg

Don't worry no need for you to know anything about this I just wanted to show you. This can be found on most websites by right clicking on them and "view source".

You can usually find an easy way to add title tags with a content management system, better known as a CMS. You probably use one of these already. The purpose is to allow people that don't know code or have the software to accomplish making changes easily. As you know I am a big Wordpress fan for many reasons but one is the open source factor. Here is a snapshot of a plugin that does the work for you.
titletagcms.jpg

How does google use title tags?
titletaggoogle.jpg

See you knew what title tags where all along ;). These are your headlines in google. The keywords that the searcher searches will be highlighted with bold text in search results. I suggest adding the same keywords in your descriptions also (later date).

Do title tags show on my website? Kind of....See below for examples of where people will see your title tags.
titletag.jpg

Notice you also see the type of browser the site visitor is using.

And if you use tabs.....
titletab.jpg

So in a nutshell that is where you see title tags. That wasn't so hard was it? That is a simple way of showing you title tags. No code needed in most cases.

Word of advice if you have control of your title tags. Don't load them up with a bunch of keywords. Please listen to this advice.....
Do your keyword research, pick a hand full of keywords 2 to 6 max. Google will rank keywords highest the closer they are to the front. Choose your keywords wisely. You can hurt yourself here. Choose the words you want to dominate for, but don't be too broad. Keyword research should take you hours. I mean get out a spread sheet....compare your site with competitors, and get to work.

My suggestion to all before playing with your keywords. Learn how to get a domain (search "cheap domains" and get $6.99 domain from godaddy in sponsored link section at top), get a hosting account, and open a wordpress.org account, and learn how to get your site to show on your domain. Maybe that will be for a later post. Any how....build yourself a mini site or micro site and choose your keywords and see how you do. You will be $7 and $9 monthly into it and if you fail you don't hurt business. Who knows you may actually do well and make yourself extra money.

I will let this post ride for a little before posting the next one. If you have any questions please feel free to ask away and I will try to do my best to answer them.

This was a post on title tags for SEO. If this was helpful please say so because if you are not interested I won't continue. Power to the dealers!

Note to dealerrefresh: treat all members the same, yo! tag all posters as sponsors or none at all.

Last edited:

Control!

I agree, its not that complicated, like any business its all about terminology. It may look scary at first, but once you learn the terminology, be it what an "O2 sensor" is or that "Gametogenisis" is a medical term for germs, and not a new console, its really not that big a deal.

Yeah, it takes a little effort to learn something new, but if you stop trying to learn something new you're dead.

I would also recommend signing up with Google Webmaster Central... it will give you list of pages with Duplicate Title and Meta tags...

BTW... here is AutoJini CMS that allows full control of Header Information...

cms.jpg

Quick suggestion....Give guidelines to dealers. Like description shouldn't be longer then....your title tag shouldn't be longer then....your keywords shouldn't be longer then. You get it? I like it though. Thanks for giving the control to the dealer. Says a lot about your site.