• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Sign this CarGurus petition to make us all better.

Dan Sayer

Boss
Staff member
Dec 4, 2009
Awards
First Name
Dan
I'm going to try something using the power of DealerRefresh and the following on here. I've asked for this change before, and CarGurus says they listen to the dealer body, so I'll try this route. CarGurus combines all data, including SRP and VDP data, into a single number regardless of New or Used inventory. My beef is, inherently, Used and New behave differently on Classified. Cars.com, etc, provide a toggle in most reporting that allows data separated out to just Used, New, or both. Secondly, they need to provide a 13+ current month view instead of their 1-year option so we can compare the most recent completed month to its YoY result. e.g. as soon as November 2020 was over, November 2019 went away in their reporting.

I know my rep is going to swing at it, and I have a great rep, but figured if we all came together it would be a great experiment in providing feedback to a vendor for what I perceive as two legitimate requests. Would anyone disagree?

Please use the link to enter your store name, zip code, and your first and last name. Or you can reply in the thread and I'll add your information. No contact information needed etc.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
I'm going to try something using the power of DealerRefresh and the following on here. I've asked for this change before, and CarGurus says they listen to the dealer body, so I'll try this route. CarGurus combines all data, including SRP and VDP data, into a single number regardless of New or Used inventory. My beef is, inherently, Used and New behave differently on Classified. Cars.com, etc, provide a toggle in most reporting that allows data separated out to just Used, New, or both. Secondly, they need to provide a 13+ current month view instead of their 1-year option so we can compare the most recent completed month to its YoY result. e.g. as soon as November 2020 was over, November 2019 went away in their reporting.

I know my rep is going to swing at it, and I have a great rep, but figured if we all came together it would be a great experiment in providing feedback to a vendor for what I perceive as two legitimate requests. Would anyone disagree?

Please use the link to enter your store name, zip code, and your first and last name. Or you can reply in the thread and I'll add your information. No contact information needed etc.

Wish I could sign that, not in a dealer so doubt this will help. You're right, PO/N should be seperate for sure.

Reactions: Dan Sayer

Add me to the list!

Has your rep been able to provide a breakdown of New vs Used?

If I had to guess, CarGurus skews 95% used with 5% of users accidentally stumbling on a new car while searching for used.

Reactions: Dan Sayer
If I had to guess, CarGurus skews 95% used with 5% of users accidentally stumbling on a new car while searching for used.
I did a manual count of VDP Views from their Inventory section in the Dashboard (again, I should be able to toggle) and we are running 28.9% of VDP views towards New (I had to filter by 2020 and 2021 vs all and copy/paste into Sheets). Yes, two years ago I was told the Dashboard was accurate because it was a "5% New" slant but apparently that isn't true any longer...

Hi Dan – Jeremy from CarGurus here. Thanks for pulling this together, really appreciate the thoughtful input. The 13-month lookback seems like it’d be an easy win, and I see the value of separating new vs used.

Our Product team is listening – we’re always looking to improve the dashboard to give you more of the information and control you need.

Someone from Product is going to reach out to you directly to talk through the ideas you pose here and any others that pop up from the petition. Thanks again.

Way to go Dealer Refresh! Just got off a call with Andrew from CarGurus who is the VP of Dealer Product. He is going to start on adding that 13th month and they're going to start the project of separation, where applicable, of New and Used (or combined) inventory data such as SRP and VDP reporting. Great participation from a large vendor! Thanks for the help CarGurus and @Jeremy Sacco

Way to go Dealer Refresh! Just got off a call with Andrew from CarGurus who is the VP of Dealer Product. He is going to start on adding that 13th month and they're going to start the project of separation, where applicable, of New and Used (or combined) inventory data such as SRP and VDP reporting. Great participation from a large vendor! Thanks for the help CarGurus and @Jeremy Sacco

Very Awesome!