• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

C Dorman

Bone King
Aug 7, 2018
First Name
Chip
rightandwrong.jpg

I've seen a trend that's been bothering me for the past couple of days and had to get this off my chest. Respect and Professional Courtesy need to be earned, not assumed.

Lately there have been a number of industry thought leaders calling for vendors to stop calling each other names, respect one another and for us all to just get along for the sake of our industry and professional images.

But there's a huge problem with that, it allows the bad actors to continue to hurt dealers.

We're not talking about differences of opinion. We're talking about right and wrong.

There's a huge difference between making a mistake and doing things wrong on purpose. There are way too many companies and people in this industry that know what they are doing is wrong, but they continue to do it anyway.

These very same companies and people want to hide behind the shield of professional courtesy, but they don't deserve it.

By not calling these companies and individuals out by name, we are not helping dealers, we are assisting in their harm. Keeping silent just because you may need a job someday makes you complicit and allows this to continue.

There are flat out a lot of companies and people who should be run out of automotive. Justifying your behavior based upon your need for a paycheck makes you a thief and just as guilty as any other criminal who robs people or breaks the law to feed their family.

Reps who choose to be blissfully ignorant are just as culpable. Anybody who parrots the company line without knowing for a fact it's accurate while handing out donuts and mouse pads is unqualified to serve dealers.

To be a professional requires knowledge, skill and morals. Without those, you are just another bullshit artist who does not deserve respect or to be treated as a professional.

• Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau
It is the state of our country right now. "Political correctness" is turning us into a bunch of pussies.

Couldn't agree with you more Chip :thumbup:

Get things off your chest folks :yell: ….don't :oops:

P.S. People who cuss are more trustworthy. Those polished mother fuckers are the ones you should watch out for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob
I'd love to publicly call out the bad actors (I do share this information with my clients, which is my duty); but, let's be real. The bad actors in automotive are some of the loudest and/or best-funded people/companies out there.

I applaud anyone willing to publicly call out the scammers, cheaters, frauds and thieves by name. At the same time, I'll pray for those who do. The barrage of personal smear they'll receive might be too much to overcome. The damage to one's name just doesn't seem worth it.

To be clear, several years ago I called out a well-known scammer and was vilified on the blogs. Fake accounts were created to make wild accusations and assault my character. In the end, it was not worth it. It hurt my business way more than it hurt his/hers.

Reactions: Rob
Sorry to be the dissenter...

When I was a kid, my Dad said, "Be the bigger man."

If I was a buddhist (or something like that), I'd say something like, "Simply concentrate on being the best YOU you can and let the bullshit just pass right on by." If you don't let things stick to your chest, you don't have to worry about getting them off.

If I was running for office, I would never mention the opponent.

I abhor political correctness, but I equally abhor the harshness/negativity of speech that has taken its place; the pendulum has swung too far. "Bashing" is not the answer -- it's a reaction -- emotional and negative.

There can be a kind and gentle truth... somewhere in the middle. (I can't see it either... but if I stop believing it's there, then I'm lost)

Reactions: Alexander Lau
Sorry to be the dissenter...

When I was a kid, my Dad said, "Be the bigger man."

If I was a buddhist (or something like that), I'd say something like, "Simply concentrate on being the best YOU you can and let the bullshit just pass right on by." If you don't let things stick to your chest, you don't have to worry about getting them off.

If I was running for office, I would never mention the opponent.

I abhor political correctness, but I equally abhor the harshness/negativity of speech that has taken its place; the pendulum has swung too far. "Bashing" is not the answer -- it's a reaction -- emotional and negative.

There can be a kind and gentle truth... somewhere in the middle. (I can't see it either... but if I stop believing it's there, then I'm lost)
John, maybe in a perfect world, but we don't live in a perfect world. Why do politicians go negative? Because it works.

Sometimes all evil needs to flourish is for good people to do nothing.

Unfortunately, 2 + 2=4. That's a fact. But there are lot of people that don't want to learn, who demand to have stuff dumbed down into bites. This is what allows fraudsters to flourish with half truths and misleading stats.

It's nice to stay above the fray, but it's cowardice to do nothing when you know wrongs are being committed. It's like Switzerland staying neutral, but taking all of the Nazi's gold in their banks. They are just as responsible for the atrocities committed to steal that gold.

Sure, there are many times when the truth lies somewhere in the middle of two extremes, but it takes a wise and critical thinker to know when. Sadly, the world is woefully short of those today.

I recently read a post from somebody who was complaining about the fact that many people in the auto industry thought they endorsed a company because their spouse works there. It's a logical conclusion, after all, they are supposed to be an outspoken leader, and by not saying anything negative about their spouse's company to protect them and the income, or to have the moral conviction for their spouse to leave to work for a company they do approve of, they are giving their tacit approval. This really pissed them off.

Well, guess what? That's how the world works. You and your spouse don't have the moral conviction to do what's right for the sake of money. You have sold out.

So yes, while it's nice to think of yourself as the bigger man, be very careful, because often times it just means you don't have the guts and moral compass to do what's right. Real leaders and heroes do the dirty jobs others won't.

I'd love to publicly call out the bad actors (I do share this information with my clients, which is my duty); but, let's be real. The bad actors in automotive are some of the loudest and/or best-funded people/companies out there.

I applaud anyone willing to publicly call out the scammers, cheaters, frauds and thieves by name. At the same time, I'll pray for those who do. The barrage of personal smear they'll receive might be too much to overcome. The damage to one's name just doesn't seem worth it.

To be clear, several years ago I called out a well-known scammer and was vilified on the blogs. Fake accounts were created to make wild accusations and assault my character. In the end, it was not worth it. It hurt my business way more than it hurt his/hers.
Steve, we've never met, but I'm surprised you'd be concerned about what some obvious loser writes. Yes, it can hurt emotionally and financially in the short term, but in the long run you come out much stronger because of it. Besides, chicks dig a man with a few scars :)