• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

If you could only pick two; Cars.com - CarGurus - AutoTrader - CarFax - KBB

Dan Sayer

Boss
Staff member
Dec 4, 2009
Awards
First Name
Dan
If you were limited to only two Classified vendors for 2021, which would you choose thinking of USED performance?

I had a rule of "2" but have since added a 3rd in order to expand our USED reach. I need to look at perhaps backing it down to 2 again since adding the 3rd increased our cost per sale (didn't give the ROI anticipated). I look at leads but also VDPs, site referrals, calls, map views, etc. when making decisions between. Our merchandising is going through a refresh (photo training rolling back out soon) and we are pricing competitively in the markets.

List the two and why. Bonus points on why you don't pick the others. Am I missing a geographic player in your market? List them if they're better than the rest. Thanks!

If you were limited to only two Classified vendors, which would you choose thinking of USED performance? I had a rule of "2" but have since added a 3rd in order to expand our USED reach. I need to look at perhaps backing it down to 2 again since adding the 3rd increased our cost per sale (didn't give the ROI anticipated). I look at leads but also VDPs, site referrals, calls, map views, etc. when making decisions between. Our merchandising is going through a refresh (photo training rolling back out soon) and we are pricing aggressively to market.

I've not used DRs Poll tool yet, so here goes nothing!
If you're pricing aggressively then definitely Car Gurus. We get far more traction from them than the rest of the 3rd parties because they default to showing best deals first. If I had to pick between cars.com and Autotrader I'd probably go with Cars.com. Because of the way Autotrader elevates premium level dealers, most of the time we wouldn't show up in their first page of search results unless we paid for their premium level. With the amount of cars we have Autotrader's premium level is ridiculously expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: rickyfay
I have been combing through the admin and settings and everything is set up right. My guess is an issue with the theme and the lastest 2.2 update. I contacted the theme support team with the issue and they are looking into it. Hope to have the issue figured out by end of day Monday (unless it's a bigger issue.) Once we know we have it figured out, I'll delete this thread and you can start a new one. I'll be sure to push your poll across our social channels and email as well.

Make it a GREAT 2021 everyone!!

If you're pricing aggressively then definitely Car Gurus. We get far more traction from them than the rest of the 3rd parties because they default to showing best deals first. If I had to pick between cars.com and Autotrader I'd probably go with Cars.com. Because of the way Autotrader elevates premium level dealers, most of the time we wouldn't show up in their first page of search results unless we paid for their premium level. With the amount of cars we have Autotrader's premium level is ridiculously expensive.
Right on the money for those in a race to the bottom for CarGurus.