• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

BUSTED Spincar caught selling dealer data

@Jeffrey Tognetti ...FWIW I have spoken with Art in person and some of the others at spincar, they've always been professional and overall good people. I just think the handling of the whole situation, going back to your initial inquiry, all the way to today, has been pretty poor.

Jamie,
I think of your words highly, and you have good connections at spincar. Would you please ask the good ppl at spincar to come to this forum and, without emotion, speak to the community about "the facts as they see it" on this discovery.

Jamie,
I think of your words highly, and you have good connections at spincar. Would you please ask the good ppl at spincar to come to this forum and, without emotion, speak to the community about "the facts as they see it" on this discovery.

Hey @joe.pistell , I think they've got to be paying attention to everything here and whatever mayhem is unfolding on LinkedIn. Art, Zack, and Joel are who I have spoken with and had a face to face with in the past. It's because my initial impressions of them were good, that I hope they've been crafting a proper, well thought out response this whole time. If that's not the case, then to me it means one of three things;

1. They've all been in The Maldives and have no idea any of this is happening. In which case, I'm super jealous.
2. They're coming to realize this as it's all unfolding, were unaware, are putting the pieces together and something legal is keeping them from responding in a meaningful way.
3. They knew everything and are trying to figure out how to say it without losing too much.

Unfortunately, with the time that has gone by without any response, regardless of the situation, it's going to get worse much faster than it will get better. This is quickly becoming something of lore, when it may have just been something that they acknowledged, and vowed to research with a certain level of priority.

1. They've all been in The Maldives and have no idea any of this is happening. In which case, I'm super jealous.
2. They're coming to realize this as it's all unfolding, were unaware, are putting the pieces together and something legal is keeping them from responding in a meaningful way.
3. They knew everything and are trying to figure out how to say it without losing too much.

4. They were caught red-handed and tried to cover it up
5. They are getting advice to be quiet and let this boil over
6. They are waiting for everyone to forget about it before firing the data feed back to Nielsen

Oooooh wait! You're listing possible scenarios aren't you @JamieS. My bad ;)

Legal would be great as the discovery process would be enlightening.

However, it is #3 as I have 3rd party knowledge of their discussions with mutual clients and there is not much to say publicly when the hole can only get deeper.

I hear that, but this isn't going to go away any time soon I don't think. This has not been enough to reach the first page of google for a "spincar" query though :D

4. They were caught red-handed and tried to cover it up
5. They are getting advice to be quiet and let this boil over
6. They are waiting for everyone to forget about it before firing the data feed back to Nielsen

Oooooh wait! You're listing possible scenarios aren't you @JamieS. My bad ;)

Glass half something? Without Jeff's 3rd party info, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt in that white labels and partnerships can get put together pretty damned fast and if you're in too much of a hurry....well crap, even that isn't a good excuse. Idk @Alex Snyder. I forgot Eric Cotter was there too, and I always liked Eric.

Huge shout out to Jeffrey Tognetti at DealerX for pointing this out. Folks, there is no other way to say this other than….

It is soooooo fucked up when a vendor you trust, and pay, takes your customer's data and sells it for their own profit.

How much of this is going on? Can we start a list of the assholes doing this crap?

View attachment 3758

from https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6431223296628441088/

They are only apologizing because they got caught. But it's also on us as professionals to read all the contracts we sign to make certain previsions for that scenario are addressed. Legally, unless there is something they signed that waives permissions, they or any other vendor is allowed to do that. It especially becomes an issue when you are talking large companies like Cox, or Reynolds, or ADP, that can disseminate the information in ways Spincar couldn't even fathom. If you read a Reynolds contract all the way through, it specifically indicates that they can, and will, do that.

So the very first mistake made was that you trusted a vendor implicitly. I prefer the Reagan approach, "Trust but verify".

They are only apologizing because they got caught. But it's also on us as professionals to read all the contracts we sign to make certain previsions for that scenario are addressed. Legally, unless there is something they signed that waives permissions, they or any other vendor is allowed to do that. It especially becomes an issue when you are talking large companies like Cox, or Reynolds, or ADP, that can disseminate the information in ways Spincar couldn't even fathom. If you read a Reynolds contract all the way through, it specifically indicates that they can, and will, do that.

So the very first mistake made was that you trusted a vendor implicitly. I prefer the Reagan approach, "Trust but verify".
Agreed, it reminds of this scene... You know... that dude. No frickin' way would FB have stopped with their data issues, without having gotten busted. ONLY then, he had to pay the piper. Then they create a pathetic commercial apologizing. What an embarrassment!?
180410221036-facebook-ceo-mark-zuckerberg-meets-with-members-of-congress-on-capitol-hill-large-169.jpg

Last edited: